First Time- WY Mule Deer

TexEnv700

Lil-Rokslider
My brother and I are looking at entering the draw for a regional deer tag in Wyoming; this will be our first western hunt. We have both hunted whitetail in Texas most of our lives so we know a good bit about hunting/outdoors, but are absolutely clueless when it comes to western hunting.

Our main questions have to do with logistics and/or strategy, which to me determines what kind of gear we need to acquire. Since we are looking at regional tags, what would your strategy be?

We've talked about driving, then walking into an area before sunrise, glassing moving around that area but at the end of the day, if we don't see a deer we want to move on, would you pack out to the truck, travel to a new area, sleep, then hike into the new area before sunrise again? Basically, how would you cover the most amount of ground within a given region?

Would you recommend having the flexibility to setup a minimalist/spike camp away from the truck should we see a shooter bedded late? What sleep system would you recommend for Wyoming in October? If we maintained the flexibility to setup a spike camp, we would probably keep two days of rations on us, then if we didn't make it happen by some point in the second day, head back to the truck to resupply/regroup.

Hope that's not too convoluted, feel free to ask for clarification. Might give me something else to consider by asking lol thanks for any guidance!

go_deep

WKR
Hiking in everyday before light and glass with the option you stay overnight or move on is a good way to go about it. As far as weather it was 80 degrees multiple days this year during deer season, but it's also been 20 degrees with snow and wind in previous years. You literally need to plan for everything here in Wyoming when it comes to the weather.

OP
T

TexEnv700

Lil-Rokslider
Hiking in everyday before light and glass with the option you stay overnight or move on is a good way to go about it. As far as weather it was 80 degrees multiple days this year during deer season, but it's also been 20 degrees with snow and wind in previous years. You literally need to plan for everything here in Wyoming when it comes to the weather.
That’s what I figured as far as being prepared for everything lol. Do you have a sleep system you would recommend for this?

go_deep

WKR
That’s what I figured as far as being prepared for everything lol. Do you have a sleep system you would recommend for this?
I use a roll out air pad, -20 bag, and a 4 season 3 person shelter for 2 people. If the weather is right you can get away with a 8x8 tarp and a sleeping bag to go light, but when the weather goes south I never regret the couple extra pounds, if it's to warm I sleep on top of my bag in the tent.

You guys have to determine what's right for you both though. If one of you gets cold easy you need something different than someone who is really warm blooded.

OP
T

TexEnv700

Lil-Rokslider
I use a roll out air pad, -20 bag, and a 4 season 3 person shelter for 2 people. If the weather is right you can get away with a 8x8 tarp and a sleeping bag to go light, but when the weather goes south I never regret the couple extra pounds, if it's to warm I sleep on top of my bag in the tent.

You guys have to determine what's right for you both though. If one of you gets cold easy you need something different than someone who is really warm blooded.
Thanks for the info, definitely something to think about. We talked about splitting the cost of a shelter so we’ll have to be in agreement lol