First timer advice needed

Hey guys, me and two of my buddies are wanting to kill our first mule deer. We hunted Nebraska this season, but didn’t bring anything home. We all saw plenty of deer but nothing we were happy to take and pack out. Mostly spikes and small 2x2’s. If you were planning a hunt for next season to kill a decent muley, with no points anywhere, where would you start? I’d be glad to pm if that makes you more comfortable. Thanks.

Sako68

FNG
If your a new hunter is your expectation to harvest a buck to eat or a rack to brag about on the internet. The learning is in the journey and the danger of setting too high of an expectation is that it maybe difficult to achieve and even harder to surpass. I am not sure if the regulations restrict harvest to minimum number of tines, but making next years plans over deer steaks with your buddies is a lot more fun than tag soup.

Chad E

WKR
Well, you can rule out Colorado, not going to draw without a point.
Did something change in Colorado? This year there were tons of zero point options?

With no points and first time mule deer hunter I would look to Idaho or Colorado for a garunteed tag and look to get into the Montana draw.

Find a place that takes 2-4 points and has antlerless tags. Hunt antlerless learning the area while you build points. If you don’t see good bucks on your antlerless hunt, try something else the next year. Does taste better anyway. Also, big bucks aren’t where the does and forks are usually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
Just do your research, then go hunt.

There is so much information available from points required to success rates and average size deer in diff areas, the state agencies are the place to start.