First Timer: Boots Colorado

So, I'm going on my first elk hunt in Colorado in the October 2nd rifle season.

I am from Georgia and have never hunted out west. My hunting boots range from Merrell Moab in early season to 400g rubber boots and 10" 800 gram lace ups for colder weather.

I have been trying to find a pair of boots to get ready for October for months now and I am failing miserably.

Here is my issue:

- My achilles tendon tends to be more straight than most so a heel cup that is too far back will cause the boot to press on my achilles (Boots I've tried: Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX, Danner High Ground, and now Crispi Nevada Legends)

- I also have an issue with the inner ankle bone on my left foot and it seems that every boot I try irritates the mess out it. It's like pressure on it that eventually makes it feel bruised. While the rest of the boot feels great, it drives this one ankle crazy (Boots I've tried: Rocky Broadheads, Danner Pronghorns, Cabela's Meindl Perfekt Extreme).

- I also tend to get cold feet so I would like some insulation if possible.

I know... I'm a tenderfoot, ha!

It's getting pretty frustrating and I have no idea where to look next. I have almost resigned myself to mid height hikers with GTX or Trail runners with GTX and deal with the cold feet and lack of ankle support.

Any advice for a noobie from our resident boot experts out there? Thanks!

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I would try a really cushioned boot just because its' different than what you've tried like HOKA. The best option would be to try Lathrop and Sons and get custom fitted. Sounds like you've spent a ton of money finding boots so the custom cost won't hurt that much.

10ringer

WKR
The technica forge may be a good option for you. It has a moldable area around the ankle for a custom fit. Episode 179 on hunt backcountry podcast goes in depth on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TBHasler

WKR
Based on your description of issues, I second the lathrop and sons approach - as much customization as possible. Good luck - it’s important to put in the time, effort and $ to get your boots right.