first timer colorado gear list

cvsetter

FNG
its hard to believe this friday i'm finally leaving for colorado,its alittle late for changes so i guess it will have to work.anything i should have or cut out.

PACK
exo 3500 pack with a two liter platypus bladder with quick disconnect fitting.
exo hip pouch with compass,pad/pencil,phone .
fhf pouch with garmin 64 gps.

LID
release
first lite bennie
first lite fingerless merino gloves
camo make up
tp
sawyer squeeze filter(1liter sawyer bag and 1liter platypus bag
black diamond storm 350 head lamp
topo map
panasonic point and shoot camera

SLEEP SYSTEM
marmmot helium 20 deg bag
big ange q-core slx
seek outside cimmaron/carbon pole and stakes
seeek outside ground cloth

KILL KIT
black ovis deer bags/2 tag quater bags
havlon knife and 2 blades
benchmade hidden canyon hunter knife
2 contractor bags and 50ft of cord.

COOK KIT
oilcamp pot
small ti coffee cup
soto windmaster stove with small canister
lighter
msr folding spork

possible pouch (med pull out)
leuko tape
lighter with electrical tape
chap stick
1 havlon blade
aqua tabs
cotton ball in vaseline
sawyer back flush tube
4 zip ties
patch kit for pad
super glue
tenacious tape
small candle
50ft of cord
extra wind puffer
petzel e light
4aaa/2aa's

first aid(small pull out)
mole skin
4 band aids
4 butter fly's
quick clot gauze pad
2 finger tip band aids
2 antiseptic wipes
2 antibiotic ointment packs
assortment of advil,bendril,imodium,pep to
small roll pet flex cohesive bandage

EXO STASH POCKET
tooth brush/sm paste
gold bond
wet wipes
pack towel
eye glass case

hiker hunger carbon trek poles
elknut bulge and calls

FHF BINO HARNESS
10x42 vortex diamondbacks
nikon ranger finder in fhf case
phelphs reed call/wind puffer
lense cloth

CLOTHES PACKED
fl puffy
marmmot pre cip rain jacket
1 pair of gore socks
1 pair fl underwear
chamma hoody
halstead fleace
kenntrek gaiters
crocs

WORN IN
fl knabs
areowool half zip
crispi wyomings

elite answer bow
fast eddie double pin sight
5 victory tko 350 with the 60gr ss insert/100 gr iron will broadheads.

plan on taking four days of food at a time in a bear proof urack.

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty solid list. Dont see rain pants tho. Not sure where in CO you're going but at least you have gaiters for the wet grass and small stream crossings. Sun screen might be included as well. A post hunt thread with what worked, what needed to be brought will help others as well. Good luck.

Sunglasses...I only saw one light in your list....no tylenol or alleve? Power pack and cord to recharge your phone? Especially if your using it as a gps...personally I would have a sat phone or even a spot on thing...just in case...easy enough to rent, especially if your traveling far and going away.

Liquid bandage is good and cheap, even super glue in a pinch.

Small sharpening stone for that one knife or personally more than a couple extra havalon blades...

OP
C

cvsetter

FNG
Hunting partner will have a power pack,I will have celecoxib(antiflamatory).will have a sharpener at the truck,was hoping between the havalon and benchmade should be enough.

CX5Ranch

WKR
I'd throw in a few more batteries.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'd drop the toothbrush, the extra light, the extra batteries, the extra underwear, I'd drop the phone, I'd drop the fleece, I'd drop a lot of stuff from the First aid kit. Lueko tape, blood clot stuff, a gauze, liquid adhesive, and ibuprofen is all that is needed. Anything else is a comfort factor
not relative to survive. And, that is what the kit was meant to do. Keep you alive. Not comfy cozy.

A lot of this stuff is based on personal preference. With two people, you don't need to plan for a nuclear fall out. Also, if you close enough to the truck to get sharpeners, you are close enough to get the other amenities meant to create comfort. Not survival. Use your finger to brush your teeth, if your undies get to funky, burn them and go commando, If it gets bad with extreme weather, you are coming out anyway. no sense in packing all those layers. Etc..... Everything you carry in, you carry out. The idea is when you add another 6 pounds of water, that is getting to be a load to hike a lot of miles under. That is my way of thinking. You gotta decide though. Good luck and God Bless

md126

WKR
I had a very similar list and it served me well for 7 days. Looks well thought out and solid.

**Only thing I would definitely add is a tourniquet or 2. Cheap, light, easy to use, and will absolutely be the only thing that will save your life if you’re bleeding out**

GPool1842

WKR
Solid list... looks like you have 100’ of cord total. That stuff is heavy. Do you think you need 100’ or would you be fine with 50?

I like to have some bigger wipes to clean up. Adventure Medical Bath Wipes are awesome.

OP
C

cvsetter

FNG
A lot of good recommendations.we have four different spots picked out,the plan is to spend four days in and if we can't turn anything up come out and hit the next spot.with this being the first time I guess I'll find out real quick what I need and what I don't and what works and what doesn't and make changes.

Last edited:

overland

FNG
Use your sleeping bag's stuff sack as a pillow.

I'd certainly bring an extra pair of socks... wet ones will ruin the trip (don't expect wet ones to dry overnight).

Not sure when or where you are going but it gets cold out here in the mountains. I backpacked in the Rockies every month in 2011 and April and October were the hardest because I didn't anticipate how cold it was going to be and how much snow there was. Warm sleep gear is essential. A 20 degree bag is a start but don't expect to be warm if it dips into the 20s unless you have other clothing on.