First timer diy caribou

irf1983

FNG
I have finally pulled my finger out and I am starting to plan a DIY caribou hunt in Alaska. All I know so far is that I want to go in 2020 and I am leaning towards 40 mile air. I don't have a lot of camping gear so preferably I would like to rent tents/cookware, etc. I would really appreciate any suggestions on air service/gear rental/what to expect/meat care/everything else regarding this kind of hunt. I've never done anything like this before so any help would be great. Thanks in advance!

Thess87

WKR
I’ve read good things about 40 mile air. I called them to inquire about there services and he said he could only haul him plus 300 lbs. That includes you so depending on your size you may not be able to take much gear. Me being 6’8” tall and 260lbs. I choose to go with a different transporter. That being said he seemed like a nice guy and probably provides a goo service.

OP
I

irf1983

FNG
I’ve read good things about 40 mile air. I called them to inquire about there services and he said he could only haul him plus 300 lbs. That includes you so depending on your size you may not be able to take much gear. Me being 6’8” tall and 260lbs. I choose to go with a different transporter. That being said he seemed like a nice guy and probably provides a goo service.

Who did you decide to go with?

i would get your own gear and get a few trips in to practice local. i rented gear once on Kodiak. never again! for the money i coulda bought most of the of the gear.didnt like dealing with the company. doing things over the phone you gotta make sure the stuff is there and the fact you are responsible for cleaning and damages.why stress when you can learn alot from setting up your own stuff. get on the Alaska outdoors site too.you need to get a few months of searching the subject and then youve only just begun... all the info is out there. good luck! 40 mile was in my short list of top pick for a future trip.

Stid2677

WKR
The 40 mile hunt and the slope are very different hunts, I have done both. PM me you like and I will give you my number and we can chat. Lots of details on the 40 mile hunt. They use Super Cubs, to get folks into the Caribou and 206s and such to haul hunters and gear to a staging area. Both are top notch outfits.

Steve

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
I’m planning the same hunt for 2019. I have talked with 40 Mile, and I would not bank on getting a spot with them unless you, or someone you can get to go with you is a repeat customer. Repeats get the first crack at their openings and they were even having to turn some of them away this past year. Best of luck with your planning, Alaska is an awesome place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting in for 2020 shouldn't be impossible, but I wouldn't limit myself to just one air service. There are multiple companies flying to good caribou hunting and limiting yourself to just one is not necessary. Part of this is expecting a sudden opportunity to show up. The phone rings and they're offering you a cancellation spot...and they want your answer asap so they can call the next guy on the list. Be ready to jump if the offer comes in.

DON'T rent your gear unless you enjoy unpredictability, puzzle-solving in bad weather, missing stuff, repaired stuff and medium-ok or cheap stuff. You'll be in places where you have no choice but to deal with whatever you have. If it fails...you'll suffer. I went on a little piece-of-cake caribou hunt in '15 (Fortymile region) and got caught in the worst mountain storm I've ever experienced. I was hunting solo and have NO doubt my gear and shelter kept me alive for 6 miserable days. That was mid August. Buy your gear. Learn how to use it. Know it...inside-out. Be sure it's quality and don't trust your hunt (or life) to someone else's stuff.

VernAK

WKR
Getting in for 2020 shouldn't be impossible, but I wouldn't limit myself to just one air service. There are multiple companies flying to good caribou hunting and limiting yourself to just one is not necessary. Part of this is expecting a sudden opportunity to show up. The phone rings and they're offering you a cancellation spot...and they want your answer asap so they can call the next guy on the list. Be ready to jump if the offer comes in.

DON'T rent your gear unless you enjoy unpredictability, puzzle-solving in bad weather, missing stuff, repaired stuff and medium-ok or cheap stuff. You'll be in places where you have no choice but to deal with whatever you have. If it fails...you'll suffer. I went on a little piece-of-cake caribou hunt in '15 (Fortymile region) and got caught in the worst mountain storm I've ever experienced. I was hunting solo and have NO doubt my gear and shelter kept me alive for 6 miserable days. That was mid August. Buy your gear. Learn how to use it. Know it...inside-out. Be sure it's quality and don't trust your hunt (or life) to someone else's stuff.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Buy your own gear and be familiar with it!

Forty Mile Air is top notch but it's difficult to get a slot. Another good flight service for some of that area
is Golden Eagle Outfitters [Jimmy Cummings] out of Delta.

Like Kevin, I've experienced some unexpected weather extremes in interior Alaska. When those storms hit,
the air carrier is usually grounded also. Ya just have to tough it out so KNOW YOUR GEAR.

OP
I

irf1983

FNG

Any recommendations on tents? I was thinking about one large cabelas guide tent, or should we go with several smaller tents?

The info from the three guys that live and hunt up there should be taken pretty much as gospel. Alaska is no joke. Fly in hunts can be a lot longer or shorter than you plan based on weather, pilots, and planes. Get an InReach, or an Iridium Sat phone (you can rent this in Fairbanks).

Plan on losing a few days being socked in in your tent. Plan on getting wet. Plan on bugs. Plan on bears. Buy a wolf tag and a fishing license. Buy the best rain gear you can afford. Try all of your gear, a lot, before you go.

If it is just you plus a buddy, you can get by with a Sawtooth, SO Cimmaron, or similar sized shelter that allows you to bring a stove. Yeah, I know it isn't the cheapest, but that ability to dry out and warm up is pretty awesome for morale and the quality of sleep you get. The bonus is you can use it for a couple of years, and then sell it if you aren't going to use it again, and recoup a significant portion of your investment.

One of the coolest feelings in the world is watching that plane leave, and knowing that everything from that moment on, is up to you. Some describe that as scary. For me, it just unlocks an intensity and focus that I can't get when I'm in cell phone range. Planning is a lot of the fun of the trip. Read all that you can, here and elsewhere. Reach out to Stid2677. He has offered years of knowledge and experience. You would be making a big mistake to not take advantage of his offer.

Any recommendations on tents? I was thinking about one large cabelas guide tent, or should we go with several smaller tents?

That's going to depend on who is doing the flying...the airplane (size) and the weight of your gear. If the weather cooperates, you can use most anything. When it all goes south and your tent is getting hammered with 70 mph gusts, you'll feel better if you're inside a tent which is made for those conditions, is strong, has a decent amount of room, and is built to be physically lightweight. Bigger tents catch more wind and most caribou camps are in treeless terrain. Smaller tents are cramped. Pick the right sized tent for 2 or 3 guys and get a good one.

I can't recommend anything I haven't personally used, and the only shelters I'm using these days are tipis by Seek Outside and Kifaru. My Kifaru Sawtooth has proven to be a TOUGH shelter and has good room for 2 people.

OP
I

irf1983

FNG
That's going to depend on who is doing the flying...the airplane (size) and the weight of your gear. If the weather cooperates, you can use most anything. When it all goes south and your tent is getting hammered with 70 mph gusts, you'll feel better if you're inside a tent which is made for those conditions, is strong, has a decent amount of room, and is built to be physically lightweight. Bigger tents catch more wind and most caribou camps are in treeless terrain. Smaller tents are cramped. Pick the right sized tent for 2 or 3 guys and get a good one.

I can't recommend anything I haven't personally used, and the only shelters I'm using these days are tipis by Seek Outside and Kifaru. My Kifaru Sawtooth has proven to be a TOUGH shelter and has good room for 2 people.

Thank you! I appreciate the help.

OP
I

irf1983

FNG
I have contacted several companies about flights. Right now Tok, Golden Eagle, and RAM have space. Has anybody hunted with RAM before?

For a first time hunt, does the 40 mile herd seem more appropriate than the western arctic herd?

Thanks everyone for the help! Its really great of you all to share your experience.

Last edited:

VernAK

WKR
Again, I have to agree with Kevin as my Sawtooth has survived some really rugged weather. About five years ago, we were camped on a 40 Mile ridge when a severe wind hit Tok and blew houses off foundations in Tanacross Village. Winds were in excess of 100mph there. I did drop my Sawtooth poles in the night and we rolled up in it until morning. Other thoughts:

I don't use an air service that has only one plane, one pilot and no mechanic on duty.

For moose or caribou fly-ins, I use a pack frame as I can lash-on whatever gear I may
need in case I have to walk out BTDT. Sheep hunting usually requires that you be
completely mobile to start with.

Be observant when flying in so you can have some idea where you may have to walk to
for a better opportunity to get a ride out. BTDT!

Be sure you have some sort of collapsible water container as you may have to leave your ridge
camp and walk a mile down to the river to get water. If you only have your water bottle, you're
not going to be happy.

IRF....if you PM me your email, I'll send you a pic of what you may experience.

I flew with RAM in 2010. Beautiful country and it was my first bush flight. Mike is a great pilot. From what I can tell a stereotypical bush pilot. (Comes in late, in a hurry, just chaos..) pm me for more info if you'd like.
James

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

AKBorn

WKR
VernAK, I was in Anchorage in 2012 when that big storm hit, thinking about you guys in Tok - I had brought my girlfriend up to Alaska that fall to see my family, so I missed the Fall hunt in 2012. She saved me some tough nights in extreme weather, I hope we never see a storm like that one again while in the backcountry.

Saw that 2 guys on this thread (including the originator of the thread) are planning first-time caribou hunts in the future. I am a 40 Mile Air repeat customer, and may need a partner in some future years (not sure yet about 2019, 2 former partners are trying to swing it). If you want to shoot me an email at [email protected] and share a little background about yourself (hunting experience, wilderness experience, relative physical condition, etc.) I would be happy to share whatever info I can to help you plan ahead. Alaska is the experience of a lifetime, but one that requires a fair amount of planning and preparation.