First timer elk hunt looking at Colorado GMU 004 3rd rifle season. Any info appreciated!

cscott925

FNG
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to Rokslide. I'm from out West, and have been trying to explore out of state DIY hunts more and more the past few years. This year I will be going for Elk in Colorado for the first time. This site has been a great resource for past hunts and I appreciate any feedback I can get.

Two friends and I are looking into Colorado GMU 004, 3rd rifle season for our first Elk hunt. We live too far away to do any scouting in person, so we will be plotting out our destinations on OnX. I have scoured the forums trying to compile info for our hunt, just have a few questions remaining. From what I've read the elk get pushed pretty hard first rifle season and hold up in the private lands below the National Forest area. Looking at the harvest info from 2018, 3rd rifle season shot 282 elk with 1,170 hunters. Would you say that the majority of these were killed on private lands? By 3rd rifle season do some herds still hold up in the National Forest areas around Black Mountain, Bears Ears Peaks, Sugar Loaf Mountain?

Also wondering about how accessible Black Mountain Rd, Circle Creek Rd is that time of year heading in from the SW towards Bears Ears Peaks. We will be driving in with a 4x4 truck as far as we can get and setting up camp, then on foot from there. Do those roads close if it snows? Too muddy to get back far without quads?

Thank you in advance for reading my post, any input will be greatly appreciated. We will be spending the rest of this year gathering info and getting in shape to give it our best effort. Can't wait to get out there no matter the outcome!

88man

FNG
There will be elk in the forest. You will be able to get around in a truck to find a place to hunt. If the weather is bad they will still be from top to bottom.