First Timer, TONS of questions

Smid

WKR
Sorry in advance for the wall of text. I figured instead of making a bunch of new threads, I’d just consolidate one and take all the advice I can. I literally don't know a single person that hunts so trying to ask people around my area what they're using is tough. I've never been hunting, in my life but always had the itch to go. I'm in Ohio for a reference. I’ll list the questions I have and any input appreciated. I'm severely lacking on gear, but I don't want to buy a ton of cheaper stuff just to replace it. I figure I have enough time before deer season to slowly buy, but I'm not rich by any means so will have to shop around.. with the being said

clothing.. I think I'm fine in this area. There’s enough covered in the search function that I feel comfortable

packs - I have a stone glacier avail 2200. I think it would be big enough for the needs here, but again just speculating. I’m guessing a frame would be beneficial but again not sure.

what to pack -
I got good recommendations on rain gear, but not sure what else. First aid kit I’m
Guessing, I think a range finder would be helpful, I’m not sure if binoculars would help but I’m guessing not here in Ohio atleast. I have a streamlight flashlight and headlamp but not sure what else I’m missing. I put a benchmade fixed blade on my Christmas list, but I’m sure I’ll get some sort of other fixed blade if I don’t get that

I’ll be hunting public land in Ohio, (I’m in Cincy) and will be doing a ton of research and try to scout this summer. I’m guessing onX would be beneficial? And should I consider a GPS as well?

Any other input also appreciated. I over analyze things to death so I’d appreciate any input. Even if it’s what not to do lol

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey. Good to have you on here. I’m almost wondering if we should move this over to the whitetail thread. Let’s see if you get any helpful responses here, but if not, hit me up and I’ll move it for you. I know nothing about the type of hunting you’re asking about, sorry! But there are some very helpful hunters in here willing to help, so you should be good.

Keep us posted on your journey. Hunting is a good life.

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
Hey. Good to have you on here. I’m almost wondering if we should move this over to the whitetail thread. Let’s see if you get any helpful responses here, but if not, hit me up and I’ll move it for you. I know nothing about the type of hunting you’re asking about, sorry! But there are some very helpful hunters in here willing to help, so you should be good.

Keep us posted on your journey. Hunting is a good life.

I was going to put in the FNG but didn’t think there was a ton of traffic in there. I’ll keep you updated, I appreciate it!

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
You need a weapon, tags, a knife and some clothing to stay warm. You don't need to to overthink it, or over analyze it. Go out and get some experience before buying a bunch of stuff you don't need because you read you needed it. K.I.S.S . And have an amazing time learning and experincing.

kda082

WKR
You got a pretty good list. Get the best stuff you can afford, don’t need to go overboard for whitetail. Know how to field dress, have a plan on getting the deer out of woods. Put a good knife and small bone saw on your list. Lots of folks deer hunt. Find someone to help you the first couple times. Good luck.

bdg848

WKR
If you have a smart phone, you don't need a GPS. You can get OnX but there are free apps as well. Clothing- whatever keeps you warm plus some surplus army camo. A knife, rangefinder, and a weapon. You don't have to spend a lot of money on any of it.

This is in no way meant to demean or anything like that but since you've never hunted before I would recommend that you get a shotgun or 22 & do some small game hunting, like squirrel, rabbit, even groundhogs. You'll learn techniques that will make you a better hunter for all species. Usually these seasons last till late February so you can get started this winter.
Have you ever had a hunter safety course? Most states require this before you can even get a license.
Learn hunting etiquette, when to shoot & when not to. Know what's behind your target & how far your bullet will travel. Learn tree stand safety.
Learn where to shoot an animal to make a quick clean kill shot.
Don't kill just for the sake of killing. Are you planning to eat what you harvest? If not, have someone lined up to take the meat to before pulling the trigger.

fwafwow

WKR
Welcome! Skyline or Gold Star? Was born and raised on the East Side....

Some of the answers will depend on what type of hunting you will be doing (stand vs. other).

clothing - if you are in a stand, you could probably get away with a red flannel jacket, as long as you remain still. In a blind, you could just wear all black - but I *hate* being in a blind do to sensory deprivation feeling.

first aid kit - good plan, and include a tourniquet. (See signature line below.) Might want to add TP and some Immodium AD....

binos - I think they could be helpful, especially in early morning or end of light situations (which are usually the most active times). A rangefinder would be critical for bowhunting, and can't hurt for rifle hunting - although perhaps not necessary if you are only shooting at 100 yards or less (or within your "maximum point blank range" - which is a pretty cool approach/concept if you haven't stumbled across it yet).

lights - good idea to have a headlamp and a torch, especially the latter for tracking.

Now that I think about it, make a checklist and keep it with your bag. I forgot my headlamp and flashlight last week, in part because I made the dumb mistake of putting stuff away before the end of the season.

I think if you have onX you can get away without a GPS, especially if you are not way in the backcountry. One good idea for onX is to download the maps before you go out, then "go offline" and use your airplane mode but then turn GPS back on. You are then able to use the map and GPS without having your phone search for cell towers.

It's good to have a buying approach and to buy quality when you can. But also realize that most people start with what they think is great quality, then if you love the hunting, and spend time on RS, you will see there are additional levels of quality - be careful not to get addicted. You might start with a rifle for a few hundred $, a scope for about the same (or less), but then in a few years realize that that setup is in the back of your closet (or big safe) and you are researching stuff for way more money. If you buy really good stuff, it's pretty easy to justify that it all retains a good bit of value. :)

Good luck, have fun and keep us posted!

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome! You are in a great place to pick up info. It actually sounds like you are good to go on gear. Get your weapon of choice and practice a ton. Bow, or rifle, the range is a great place to meet people and get area specific tips. I've got family in Cinci and visit quite a bit; you are in a target rich environment. When I'm there visiting I typically see more deer there in a weekend than I do all season out here in Oregon. Get out in the woods/fields and have fun!
Also, Skyline all the way...

Wrench

WKR
I've never been to Ohio to have any clue what to expect for terrain, but I do know whitetails enough to save you some headaches.

If you don't HAVE to have something with you and can handle trekking back to the truck without it, leave it. A lot of rok slide advice is based on big country and elk habitat.

Whitetails can hear and smell stupid well and everything you have is another scent bomb on what ever it touches. Best thing to do is get a few wind checkers and use the heck out of them and learn about wind patterns. Try to sneak on deer during the off season to see how you screw it up.

Gear for deer is a knife, binos and ammo. They don't require much.

16Bore

WKR
Just ease into it....as easy or as stupid as that sounds. Remember these 3 things:

1. You will fail miserably.
2. You will be successful.
3. You won’t know which will come first.

Don’t get too carried away with how everyone does it.

Example: My best recollection is the “wacky worm” rig came from a couple fellas trying to fish with plastic worms like live bait. I can’t think of a single bass fisherman that would have considered the idea before it came to fruition.

Best of luck!

Are you bow or gun hunting? It helps to narrow down what you need. I helped a coworker two years ago when he started whitetail hunting. He’s taken a nice buck with a rifle and just took his first two does with a bow on the same hunt. He’s hooked and fun to have in camp. Find someone local to you and it will cut the learning curve down. I don’t take rain gear for whitetail. Just a treated jacket works for me. You plan to tree stand hunt? Ground? What season dates you looking at?

You need tags, weapon, knife, rangefinder, rules for the state, and go for it.

Binos can help too.

Don’t over look hiking, ski clothing, and military cloths. Can be found used at good prices

Did my first Alaska hunt with military gortex pants and jacket i bought used for if the weather went south. Sold them after the hunt and didn’t lose money.

Keep asking questions.

So I am still very new to hunting whitetail myself. What I use bow hunting for clothing is under armour 4.0 base layers, Sitka ascent pants (from camo fire for 60% off) and Walmart real tree sweatshirt with a under armour jacket for top layer. Also have a pair of fleece lined pants for late season. All my under armour was bought in the off season when it was on sale. Don't forget some of the "basics" thin gloves and hat especially if you are sitting no matter the temp you can get cold pretty easily in warm temps if you are sitting waiting for game. Watch classifieds on here if you are set on big name gear to save some money but really just starting you don't need top of the line.

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
This is in no way meant to demean or anything like that but since you've never hunted before I would recommend that you get a shotgun or 22 & do some small game hunting, like squirrel, rabbit, even groundhogs. You'll learn techniques that will make you a better hunter for all species. Usually these seasons last till late February so you can get started this winter.
Have you ever had a hunter safety course? Most states require this before you can even get a license.
Learn hunting etiquette, when to shoot & when not to. Know what's behind your target & how far your bullet will travel. Learn tree stand safety.
Learn where to shoot an animal to make a quick clean kill shot.
Don't kill just for the sake of killing. Are you planning to eat what you harvest? If not, have someone lined up to take the meat to before pulling the trigger.
That makes a lot of sense about the small game season, I’ve never thought of that. I will be taking a hunters education class, but I need to do it sooner than later. I am planning to eat it as well. Field dressing an animal if I were to get one has always been the most intimidating part. Watching you tube videos of how fo

Welcome! Skyline or Gold Star? Was born and raised on the East Side....

Some of the answers will depend on what type of hunting you will be doing (stand vs. other).

clothing - if you are in a stand, you could probably get away with a red flannel jacket, as long as you remain still. In a blind, you could just wear all black - but I *hate* being in a blind do to sensory deprivation feeling.

first aid kit - good plan, and include a tourniquet. (See signature line below.) Might want to add TP and some Immodium AD....

binos - I think they could be helpful, especially in early morning or end of light situations (which are usually the most active times). A rangefinder would be critical for bowhunting, and can't hurt for rifle hunting - although perhaps not necessary if you are only shooting at 100 yards or less (or within your "maximum point blank range" - which is a pretty cool approach/concept if you haven't stumbled across it yet).

lights - good idea to have a headlamp and a torch, especially the latter for tracking.

Now that I think about it, make a checklist and keep it with your bag. I forgot my headlamp and flashlight last week, in part because I made the dumb mistake of putting stuff away before the end of the season.

I think if you have onX you can get away without a GPS, especially if you are not way in the backcountry. One good idea for onX is to download the maps before you go out, then "go offline" and use your airplane mode but then turn GPS back on. You are then able to use the map and GPS without having your phone search for cell towers.

It's good to have a buying approach and to buy quality when you can. But also realize that most people start with what they think is great quality, then if you love the hunting, and spend time on RS, you will see there are additional levels of quality - be careful not to get addicted. You might start with a rifle for a few hundred $, a scope for about the same (or less), but then in a few years realize that that setup is in the back of your closet (or big safe) and you are researching stuff for way more money. If you buy really good stuff, it's pretty easy to justify that it all retains a good bit of value. :)

It’s a toss up, but I’d go with skyline lol. I’d say I’m close to the east side (Reading) and have family in Milford.

Great idea on the checklist, I’m sure in my haste of getting out I could easily forget something crucial.

I can already see myself getting addicted on gear. Hunting aside I like outdoor/tactical gear and shooting stuff, and the quality items never cheap lol.

Just ease into it....as easy or as stupid as that sounds. Remember these 3 things:

1. You will fail miserably.
2. You will be successful.
3. You won’t know which will come first.

Don’t get too carried away with how everyone does it.

Example: My best recollection is the “wacky worm” rig came from a couple fellas trying to fish with plastic worms like live bait. I can’t think of a single bass fisherman that would have considered the idea before it came to fruition.

Best of luck!

Great advise. #1 has been what I’ve been mentally planning for. I don’t want to have the whole experience ruined if I don’t get anything since there’s obviously no guarantee.

Are you bow or gun hunting? It helps to narrow down what you need. I helped a coworker two years ago when he started whitetail hunting. He’s taken a nice buck with a rifle and just took his first two does with a bow on the same hunt. He’s hooked and fun to have in camp. Find someone local to you and it will cut the learning curve down. I don’t take rain gear for whitetail. Just a treated jacket works for me. You plan to tree stand hunt? Ground? What season dates you looking at?

Will be doing rifle first week of December. 450 bushmaster ar is what I’m leaning towards.

I found a ranch in Alabama for pretty reasonable prices that does hog and deer combo hunts and may do that a little sooner but not entirely sure yet.

Wrench

WKR
Don't stress about field dressing. It's really pretty simple. You want to not keep what you would not eat. Gravity is constant and digestive action will create internal pressure.

With that in mind, get as much of the insides out as soon as you can. Be very careful when you cut the wind pipe as you'll be working blind.

Try to get an idea where the tenderloins sit as to not remove or cut them when you gut it.

You can do it traditional, gutless, quarters....boned, just keep the good parts and throw away what you wouldn't eat.

Hair control is one of the biggest problemsmost new hunters will face. I have a knife that cuts from under the hide and I get nearly zero hair on my meat.

My suggestion is that go into it expecting to have a lot of hair. Make the long cut and then skin back a little bit on each side....try now to get the hair pulled away from the center and off your hands and tools.....then rock on. Don't sweat a bit of hair, it's a good problem to have for a fresh hunter.

agardner00

Lil-Rokslider
I grew up in NE Ohio in a non-hunting family and did pretty much what the previous replies recommend—used military or outdoor gear, small game hunting, deer hunting. And, of course, hunter’s safety. When I moved to KS the only rifle I owned was a .22 so I borrowed a .30-06 from a coworker and wore my old hunting gear the first year. I also bought a pair of Vortex diamondback 10x42 binos, which were a game-changer. I never used binos before that, and now I don’t go ANYWHERE without them. Squirrel hunting thick timber, stand hunting, checking out urban coyotes from my patio at midnight, west Kansas mule deer hunting, everything. They stay on the passenger seat of my truck and go in my pack or on my chest pretty much anytime I’m outside. You don’t need them to start hunting, just saying they’ve become my most important piece of gear.

Anyway, I made a list of gear I wanted to upgrade, adjusted it as I got more experience, and collected over about three years (still have a handful of items to go). I had kind of a route to a few sporting goods stores that I hit up every couple weeks and bought whatever I needed that was on clearance. I also checked websites and got tips from other hunters. OnX is awesome, but start out with a free or cheap app. I started out with Gaia, which I think cost $5 or $6 at the time. You’ll know when you need to get OnX.

I’m not a shotgun guy, but you can hunt everything in Ohio with one gun, for example a 12 gauge Remington 870. Get the combo deal with two barrels; one smoothbore and one rifled slug barrel for deer. My preference for OH hunting is a bow and a .22, but I don’t really bird hunt. If you want to hunt waterfowl or upland game you’ll need a scattergun.

Again, like others said, pretty much the only thing you need is hunter’s safety, a knife, and a weapon. Then just get out there. Try to find someone to tag along with, maybe see if QDMA is hosting a Field-to-Fork class nearby.

Sorry for the long post, one last thing: being in Cincy, it’s a short drive to Indiana and Kentucky—you might check out opportunities in those states as well. It will be more expensive to buy licenses/tags but you might also find some great nearby hunting spots. And even if you don’t hunt there for the first couple years it’s good to know what options are out there. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO, you need binoculars from a safety perspective. First of all, you need to be sure the deer you’re about to shoot is legal, whether you just have antlered/antlerless tags, point restrictions, etc. You also will see movement and other stuff you want to look at, people hiking, other hunters, etc. You should never use your scope to “see what something is” for obvious reasons.

If you’re not hunting wide open areas, I’d buy a pair of Leupold Yosemite 6x30’s. They are actually really good glass and only cost $100. If you feel the need to upgrade to some euro 10x down the line, they still make a great backup pair to ride around in the truck, and you haven’t wasted much $.

I also wouldn’t worry about a pack frame while you’re starting out, primarily because quartering an animal in the dirt by yourself isn’t the way you should learn to break one down. Even if you don’t find someone to mentor you, if you can gut it and drag it out to your vehicle you can get it to the processor without anyone else.

Ideally, you’d find someone to show you how to skin and quarter it in an easy environment, even if they aren’t willing to help you actually hunt.

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
Pennsylvania guy here. Keep it simple. You will not be way back in the woods.

You need to stay warm, dry and QUIET. No need to overspend on expensive clothing. If rifle hunting you will need fluorescent orange hat and vest.

You need a reliable weapon and ammunition. Practice shooting and be proficient at it.

You need a knife to gut the deer. You will be dragging it out of the woods to your vehicle. Unless you buy a game cart.

You will need a headlamp to walk in the dark. Into and out of where you will be hunting.

A pair of binoculars. Something reasonably priced ($200 max) You will not be trying to field judge a buck for trophy quality. No need for expensive spending here.

Scout your area that you will be hunting. Know it well. That’s all you need. A phone GPS is plenty good enough. OnX app is great but may not be necessary.

In your pack. Food for the day, drink for the day. Toilet paper. I carry orange survey marker ribbon to mark blood trail. But this is more of an archery thing and I don’t need it often. Knife, latex gloves to where while gutting (optional). Rope to drag deer out of woods. (You need this.)

Diesel

WKR
I was thinking about how I got started. We started with bb guns and then .22's.

If you don't have experience shooting then start with a gun club and the shooting range. There will be members that will show you the way. Firearm safety is the most important ingredient.

If I may suggest, I would start with a bow. There are most likely archery ranges around or clubs that you can meet folks to help you get started. Bow hunting will be safer and you will learn more about hunting quicker with a bow than a rifle or shotgun. That's because you have to be closer to the animal and that takes a higher degree of awareness and preparation. You can hunt from the ground until you get the gist of it all and graduate to treestands as you learn where to place the stands and treestand safety.

Archery hunting will give you longer seasons and access to hunting lands that firearms cannot. You can practice shooting in the backyard if you have the room. There is a zen like quality to shoot a bow that becomes addicting.

Learn to gut a deer properly. Surprisingly, quite a few hunters could use a course on this topic as reported by butchers at the processors. A lot of meat is lost from contamination due to the gutting methods of evidently many hunters.

There are volumns written on this subject. Hunting mags are another source of info. But nothing can replace hands on experience and a mentor can speed up the learning curve.

Best of luck and have fun doing it.