First timer Trail cam user: Go big or dip a toe?

Siscoe308

FNG
Howdy Sliders,

I’ve been kicking around the idea of getting into spring bear baiting (legal in WY) and like the idea of camera trapping my bait sites.

Primary Use: Public land bear baiting, maybe if the bug strikes expanded use for public elk/deer prolly +95% zero cell coverage.

Mountain/ remote placement makes a dumb camera attractive. I’ll be packing in loads of bait so checking cams won’t be a problem.

I’ve always been a buy once/cry once kinda guy so I started my camera research leaning towards the Reconyx Hyperfire II.
I don’t need 20 camera’s, prolly 2-3 max *for now ;)

But as I’ve knocked about the www. It seems the lower grade cameras (namely Tasco) really don’t give much up to the higher end brands (especially the dumber models)

It seems low risk to try the lower end.
Does anybody have experience with going to one extreme or the other?

BLJ

WKR
My only experience is with the cheaper camera. I have (3) Muddys and (2) Tascos.
One of the muddys quit working back in September. It had been out for about 10 months. The others are still running without issue. So after 10 months I’m out $25.
I don’t think I’ll ever spend more money on expensive cams because my research has showed the same as yours. I believe they’re all subject to issues from being in the weather all the time.
Then in your case, you factor in bears and public land, points squarely towards cheap cameras to me.
When I buy more it will probably be Tasco. They seem to be the best combo of cheap and work. All IMO of course.

If you aren’t/can’t take advantage of the cell cameras I wouldn’t spend the money then. There are plenty of camera options out there that are taking high quality pics/vid without cell coverage. I’ve ran bushnell, primos, covert and now reveal cameras and have had zero complaints about any of them.

Highly recommend the ability for a rechargeable battery set up to be considered. Cuts down on battery expense in my experience.

BLJ

WKR
If you aren’t/can’t take advantage of the cell cameras I wouldn’t spend the money then. There are plenty of camera options out there that are taking high quality pics/vid without cell coverage. I’ve ran bushnell, primos, covert and now reveal cameras and have had zero complaints about any of them.

Highly recommend the ability for a rechargeable battery set up to be considered. Cuts down on battery expense in my experience.
I’ll add a personal experience with the Primos cams that @sierracharlie338 mentioned.
I check cams at the tree with a cheap card reader and an iPhone.
I had no issues with the Muddys or Tascos but it would not work with the Primos.
Called CS and they said their cameras weren’t compatible with the iOS system???
Traded them to a friend with an android and the same reader Ann’s he has no issues.
Just something to keep in mind.

I’ll add a personal experience with the Primos cams that @sierracharlie338 mentioned.
I check cams at the tree with a cheap card reader and an iPhone.
I had no issues with the Muddys or Tascos but it would not work with the Primos.
Called CS and they said their cameras weren’t compatible with the iOS system???
Traded them to a friend with an android and the same reader Ann’s he has no issues.
Just something to keep in mind.
I don’t use them anymore but that’s solid information I was not aware of. Thanks for posting. Guess I’ll toss the old one I think I have left haha.

BLJ

WKR
I don’t use them anymore but that’s solid information I was not aware of. Thanks for posting. Guess I’ll toss the old one I think I have left haha.
I bought them because they were on sale and looked identical to the Tascos I have.
Nothing in the description about the iPhone issue. Live and learn.

OP
S

Siscoe308

FNG
Well down the rabbit hole I go.
Camera $32 +$4 for protection plan
SD card $18
Card Reader $42
18 AA’s $34
4CB8D190-48FF-4B70-BE57-38D96AA501B1.jpeg

2five7

WKR
I've owned a bunch of different brands. The higher end ones definitely work better, and take better pics, but they get stolen or broken by cattle/elk just as easily as the cheap ones. Lately I've been buying these el cheapos off Amazon, they work well quite well for what you pay. Avoid the ones that take the micro SD cards, those suckers are too easy to lose.

BLJ

WKR
Well down the rabbit hole I go.
Camera $32 +$4 for protection plan
SD card $18
Card Reader $42
18 AA’s $34
View attachment 636794
That’s the camera I use. They’ve been very reliable for me.
I do recommend always using SanDisk SD cards. I got burned with some cheapies in the past.
Also, here’s a link to my card reader for my phone. It’s also worked really well.
I just keep it in my bino harness.

BrentVA

FNG
I have four RECONYX Hyperfire 2 cameras. They are awesome I’ve had them 5 years and never had a single issue. Cheaper ones
always break in a year or two. It’s also getting twice as many animals as cheaper cams. I’ve done a side by side comparison.