First Total Archery Challenge

Gorp2007

WKR
I ordered my first bow a few weeks back and I already signed up for the South Dakota Total Archery Challenge in June because I figure anything worth doing is worth overdoing. For arrow carriage/storage, should I just get a quiver attached to my bow, carry the arrows in my pack, or get a belt quiver or something similar? I'm planning to bring my SG Avail with water, a rain jacket, etc.

I’ve done a few of them- they are a blast! It depends how good a shot you are and how realistic you want it to be. We all use our quivers as we stalk with them on (I use a tightspot) - I want it to be like I am hunting. My buddy blew through 12 arrows trying to shoot all the longer shots with us- I would suggest a pack for water and extra arrows.

OP
G

Gorp2007

WKR
Thanks, I'll add a quiver to the shopping list. At this point the dollar figure is high enough the wife wont notice. I'm just shooting the locals course, so nothing over 45 yards and no extreme angles.

Get ready for the addiction! These shoots a so much fun. Agreed with the comment above, shoot it as if you’re hunting if that’s your intended purpose. I carry extra arrows in a pack and use a quiver for the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
Also, if there is a target you are just not comfortable with the range, wait to shoot last and walk a little closer. My wife does this if she's not sure. No one in any group we've shot with cares. Everyone is there to have fun anyway.

KHNC

WKR
You can shoot two ranges in one day. i would definitely shoot one of the mtn ops or sitka courses. Way more fun than locals. Local course in TN was super boring after doing the MO course earlier in the day. Only thing is it was 9 mile hike! lol

OP
G

Gorp2007

WKR
Online signup made me choose a single course and since later this week I'm picking up the first bow I've owned since middle school (21 years ago), I figured I'd err on the side of caution. Longest shot I've ever taken with a bow to date is 20 yards.

After your first "Nock Time" (aka Tee Time) you can then go anywhere else to any of the courses. I cant remember which is which but one is 50 and under (Sitka maybe) with much more realistic shots. You might be comfortable enough by then but they are all really fun.

OP
G

Gorp2007

WKR
After your first "Nock Time" (aka Tee Time) you can then go anywhere else to any of the courses. I cant remember which is which but one is 50 and under (Sitka maybe) with much more realistic shots. You might be comfortable enough by then but they are all really fun.

Awesome, I'll definitely see if I can work my way onto one of the tougher courses then!

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered my first bow a few weeks back and I already signed up for the South Dakota Total Archery Challenge in June because I figure anything worth doing is worth overdoing. For arrow carriage/storage, should I just get a quiver attached to my bow, carry the arrows in my pack, or get a belt quiver or something similar? I'm planning to bring my SG Avail with water, a rain jacket, etc.

We'll be there friday for the locals course. My wife isn't comfortable with the longer ranges yet. And this is our first Terry Peak event (we usually do the UT one). Looking forward to it.

OFFHNTN

WKR
I’ve done a few of them- they are a blast! It depends how good a shot you are and how realistic you want it to be. We all use our quivers as we stalk with them on (I use a tightspot) - I want it to be like I am hunting. My buddy blew through 12 arrows trying to shoot all the longer shots with us- I would suggest a pack for water and extra arrows.

YIKES! Did he not have a rangefinder, or was his bow not sighted in?! That's an expensive and frustrating day!

OXN939

WKR
Noob to the Total Archery Challenge deal here. Is it even possible to shoot one of these with a fixed 5 pin? That's what's on all my bows for hunting, and takes them out to 60... which does not appear to be adequate for one of these events

OP
G

Gorp2007

WKR
Noob to the Total Archery Challenge deal here. Is it even possible to shoot one of these with a fixed 5 pin? That's what's on all my bows for hunting, and takes them out to 60... which does not appear to be adequate for one of these events

I think it depends on the state and the course you pick. For the SD locals course it's nothing longer than 45 yards.

OXN939

WKR
I think it depends on the state and the course you pick. For the SD locals course it's nothing longer than 45 yards.

Nice. I'd love to do one of these that is 60 and in, but all the videos I watched had guys shooting at stuff 100 yards away. Good to hear there's some variety out there!

OP
G

Gorp2007

WKR
Here's the course details for South Dakota.
40f50c663a14ab66486d64d94ae188a3.jpg