First traditional day

Pgohil

WKR
So I started here

Link

Now I have. Hoyt satori 17" rise with trad tech 40lb medium limbs.
Went to the bow shop today and got some help getting everything set up. Decided to shoot directly off the riser. Beeman ICS hunters full length with 175 up front.

The bow feels really good in hand. And for the most part seems effortless to shoot. Not shooting for distance, but my form seems to be fairly consistent, especially for my first day at 15 yards.. And I hope to build on this and continue to shoot smaller groups.
Still haven't figured out a true aiming method yet. I plan on gap shooting, but right now I have to call what I do instinctive. I come to full draw find my anchors get down hard on the arrow and stare a hole in the dot. It is as if the arrows go where I will them. Craziest thing I've ever seen or done. Not perfect by any means but way better than I had expected.

I appreciate the help, feedback and information I've gotten through this forum.!

PGohil
WV

Attachments

• 20220211_211157.jpg
    20220211_211157.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
So I started here

Link

Now I have. Hoyt satori 17" rise with trad tech 40lb medium limbs.
Went to the boat shop today and got some help getting everything set up. Decided to shoot directly off the riser. Beeman ICS hunters full length with 175 up front.

The bow feels really good in hand. And for the most part seems effortless to shoot. Not shooting for distance, but my form seems to be fairly consistent, especially for my first day at 15 yards.. And I hope to build on this and continue to shoot smaller groups.
Still haven't figured out a true aiming method yet. I plan on gap shooting, but right now I have to call what I do instinctive. I come to full draw find my anchors get down hard on the arrow and stare a hole in the dot. It is as if the arrows go where I will them. Craziest thing I've ever seen or done. Not perfect by any means but way better than I had expected.

I appreciate the help, feedback and information I've gotten through this forum.!

PGohil
WV
Good deal. Just fyi, you may get more help at a BOW shop. 😁

khunter1

FNG
You will figure out you're aiming method as you learn, I started gap shooting but I couldn't do that to save my life now! Instinctive just kind of took over after a few years. The big thing is have fun with traditional archery, It's a learning curve for sure but well worth the patience and dedication to it. Before you know it you wont even think about a bow with those fancy wheels on it :)

Best of luck to you!

angsBEEF

FNG
I just read through your first thread and saw a lot of people talking about tuning. Have you been able to find anything about properly tuning your bow?

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
I still have not personally started tuning on this bow. My local BowTech is pretty damn good on the traditional side. I've been leaning on him heavily for advice and direction. Main thing right now is getting my form down which is coming together. My groups are shrinking. With my short draw length and this short riser I'm only getting 34 lb. Which is great for building form but lighter than I want for hunting. He and I have agreed for me to work on my form of touch longer and then I'm going to get some 50 lb limbs And then we will tune directly to them.

Right now it's more about getting consistent results for me than anything.

Attachments

• 20220222_204005.jpg
    20220222_204005.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 10

mgmicky

FNG
Looks like you are well on your way! It’s great that you have a knowledgeable shop nearby to help get you started correctly. Most of us are self taught and the progress was pretty slow. Good luck and welcome to the addiction.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
Welcome to a whole new world...
You are right about it being a whole new world! I really enjoy it. The addiction they talk about is real. I appreciate all the support and encouragement I've gotten from this forum!!

Rob5589

WKR
Be ready for the frustration days. Some days I'm grooving arrows like I've done it all my life; next day I'm plucking, smacking my lip, way off target, etc. That's when I'll go and blind/blank bail, do draw holds, and double check everything. That'll usually get me back on track.

Recently I couldn't figure out what my deal was. I eventually realized I was tilting my head forward, for whatever reason. Straightened it out, back on track. It's amazing how little things can completely destroy your shot.

inyago

FNG
A copy of shooting the stickbow, by Anthony Camera helps everyone as well..
I reference mine all the time and if you are self taught this is a necessity and i had 2x 1hr sessions with a coach..
Also get one/ 2 copies of Masters of the Bare bow these guys really know there stuff as well..

Roughneck

FNG
congrats on getting into trad. i started shooting trad this week as a few friends lent me some recurve bows to try so i can try to figure out what i like but trying to learn correct form and all the little things its hard to figure out as its so different than shooting compounds. i am thinking about just taking the plunge and getting a Stalker Stickbow

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
congrats on getting into trad. i started shooting trad this week as a few friends lent me some recurve bows to try so i can try to figure out what i like but trying to learn correct form and all the little things its hard to figure out as its so different than shooting compounds. i am thinking about just taking the plunge and getting a Stalker Stickbow
I’m a stalker fan and have a couple of south’s bows custom ordered. DO NOT order a bow just starting, horrible idea honestly.

But a 35lb samick sage, order solid archery mechanics from the push, and shoot for a year before you even consider ordering a custom.

Your draw length, weight, and form will all change greatly once you get a coach and learn properly shot execution and shot sequence. Once you’re proficient with everything and get to try a bunch of custom bows from friends and at shoots then order one. Just my small piece of advice anyways.

jesse1004

FNG
I’m a stalker fan and have a couple of south’s bows custom ordered. DO NOT order a bow just starting, horrible idea honestly.

But a 35lb samick sage, order solid archery mechanics from the push, and shoot for a year before you even consider ordering a custom.

Your draw length, weight, and form will all change greatly once you get a coach and learn properly shot execution and shot sequence. Once you’re proficient with everything and get to try a bunch of custom bows from friends and at shoots then order one. Just my small piece of advice anyways.
I'll second this. Your grip, aiming and maybe your finger placement is gunna change again and again for the next few months til you find something that works for you. But good luck on your journey. More than likely you'll say hell with this at some point but if you pick it back up the next day you know your hooked! Have fun

Roughneck

FNG
I'll second this. Your grip, aiming and maybe your finger placement is gunna change again and again for the next few months til you find something that works for you. But good luck on your journey. More than likely you'll say hell with this at some point but if you pick it back up the next day you know your hooked! Have fun

thanks for the info guys. i have been shooting a lot and have been using the same grip as i do on my compound. i actually am lucky enough to live close to a few well known Bowyers. i met up with Duane at Thunderhorn and also Jim at Centaur earlier in the week, they are both exceptional guys and just spending a couple hours with each i learned a lot. yesterday i took the trip up to Dan Toelke to meet him and check out his bows, i ended up walking away with a bow that Dan had just finished building for himself. we shot bows for at least 2 hours and he helped me with my anchor as i was not doing it correctly and my groups shrunk very quickly. he also is a very detailed oriented shooter and was in my face trying to see every small detail that i was doing incorrectly which i appreciate as i was a firearms instructor for a long time and its hard to find someone who can see those little things someone is doing wrong. he really explained everything well and basically told me i was doing everything very well except my anchor. but i am super excited to have met him and know someone who is as much of a hard charger as me, it is cool to meet someone that has been shooting as long as he has but still get super excited to help and mentor a newbie like myself. i know you guys will think i am nuts for buying something higher end but i am a nut about jumping all in when i get into something new and i do my best to learn from people who know what they are doing!

Last edited:

Roughneck

FNG
Lucky dog! That's a hell of a resource to have. Congrats
Thanks man! I know it’s awesome to have such a great group of trad guys in the area. Here is my new Whip and a 17 yard group.

Attachments

• 275BB0CD-23D4-40A9-9424-D74CD56A70D9.jpeg
    275BB0CD-23D4-40A9-9424-D74CD56A70D9.jpeg
    597.3 KB · Views: 11
  • FE30FA16-C933-4174-933D-ABC15C724914.jpeg
    FE30FA16-C933-4174-933D-ABC15C724914.jpeg
    408.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 06C2C94B-C2AE-446F-BBFE-281D14E908AC.jpeg
    06C2C94B-C2AE-446F-BBFE-281D14E908AC.jpeg
    391.2 KB · Views: 11

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks man! I know it’s awesome to have such a great group of trad guys in the area. Here is my new Whip and a 17 yard group.
Dan makes a great bow! I had a pika that was super nice I just wasn’t a fan of the grip. His build quality and detail and amongst the best though. Enjoy it!

Roughneck

FNG
I had a Robin Hood today with the Toelke Whip at 20 yards!

Attachments

• 2E661D59-37B6-4A4F-9FCC-EE0CD2E2AE75.jpeg
    2E661D59-37B6-4A4F-9FCC-EE0CD2E2AE75.jpeg
    773.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 6D025D1C-9503-48B1-A8C4-7D2FCC49F897.png
    6D025D1C-9503-48B1-A8C4-7D2FCC49F897.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
That's some great shooting! I've been figuring out my Toelke Chinook this week. It's for sure a shooter.