first traditional shots, So confused!

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
The ILF bow I shot was strait off the shelf. Is say it wasn't even closed to tuned. I'll be working with my shop next week when the satori arrives tomorrow learn proper setup and tune on it. I plan on shooting full length 400 spine arrows with at least 125 up front. I'd like to get it setup as close to what I plan to hunt with.

Rob5589

WKR
The ILF bow I shot was strait off the shelf. Is say it wasn't even closed to tuned. I'll be working with my shop next week when the satori arrives tomorrow learn proper setup and tune on it. I plan on shooting full length 400 spine arrows with at least 125 up front. I'd like to get it setup as close to what I plan to hunt with.
You going with a rest or the shelf?

Rob5589

WKR
I ended up using a Flipper rest on mine. Everything I read said a rest was easier to tune and more forgiving than off the shelf. My thought was, the easier the better just getting started. So far so good.

oldgoat

WKR
I'm too ignorant to decide right now. I like the idea and simplicity of shooting off the shelf, but the tunability of a rest is hard to beat.
Doesn't the satori come with an adjustable side plate? And if you are planning on hunting, especially from the ground, the simplicity and durability of shooting off the shelf, especially a shelf that is tuneable beats the tunability of a rest in my opinion. To me, the advantage of the elevated rest in this case would be the ability to get arrows with plastic vanes to shoot well!

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
Right, the satori does have the adjustable side plate. Between that and being able to adjust the limbs individually it should shoot well off

the shelf

Kdf22

Lil-Rokslider
After you’ve shot traditional for awhile you will see that one bow is not enough. I shoot recurves and longbows, I have my hunting bows and backyard bows. I’ve gone back and forth as to what I like to hunt with and almost every year I take out a bow that hasn’t been out in awhile.
My best advice is to try to get together with some traditional guys and sample some bows. Look for clubs and gatherings especially this time of year. Lots of shoots getting started.

Boydo90

FNG
I have a Black Widow PMA and a Bear Takedown with the new mag riser. The two of them cannot be compared against each other but I love them both. The Black Widow is superior in fit and finish but there is something so cool to me about the Bear. I actually shoot the Bear better and the grip feels more natural.

Seeknelk

WKR
Grips are the main thing that make folk love or hate a certain bow. I've done mountains of research ,just looking for.a common theme...and it's grips. Guys go years buying ,selling trading, re -buying same bows even. And its almost always because of "feel".
So going the ilf route is great for this. Don't be afraid to try different grips and even remove grip entirely if your totally used to compound grips. Just put some hockey tape on the metal and try it out.
It's our only contact with this tool we love so naturally the grip matters so much.
And once "YOUR " grip is found you can have it copied by custom makers of you want to dive into that.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Okay, no one has said it yet. An ILF recurve with handshock is out of tune. Fix your tiller, and/or add some arrow weight. Add string silencers while you're at it. Any of the above will make it feel better in the hand.

And a recurve limb that is easily torqued and twisted is a lower quality limb. Good ilf limbs with carbon will have a lot more torsional stability. Assuming decent tiller (and a reasonably spined arrow) on both bows, a recurve will be more accurate, and easier to learn on.
Thank you. I was going to say the exact same thing about that ILF rig not being properly set up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2muchhp

WKR
OP, I skimmed through the post and don't see how you plan to hunt. Tree stand hunting with either LB or recurve can be challenging. For me the short recurve works best and is easy to carry through the woods as well

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
I predominantly stand hunt with my compound. But I want to do more ground hunting with my Satori.

2muchhp

WKR
Its just another thing to consider. In my part of the woods a long bow is tougher than a recurve...there just so long. I also have rattled a recurve limb off my treestand more than once. Drops ya right in the dirt in more than one way - deer runs off and your limb just smacked a solid piece of steel.

Its fun!

Roughneck

FNG
I recently just got into shooting trad bows as well. Coming from compounds it is much different for sure. I have been shooting for about 3 weeks and I already have 4 bows. I picked up a nice older Damon Howatt Hi-Speed off my local Craigslist for a good deal. Jim at Centaur put a custom string on it and helped me get it tuned up. It’s a great shooting bow and I don’t have a ton in it. Also picked up a new Toelke Whip last week and this week got a Thunderhorn longbow & a JK Chastain Wapiti recurve. I am already addicted, way more fun to me than shooting compounds and I was having a blast shooting them. I definitely plan on hunting with mine whenever I figure out which bow fits me the best.

Blasey

FNG
I've been shooting a Hoyt Podium 27" riser Olympic bow with 36lb long limbs for years. (43lb pull@ my DL) The grip is very high with 90% pressure on the web of my hand. That took a while to get used to. About a month ago I purchased a used Stalker Coyote FXT 62" recurve with 46lb@27" marked on the limbs. Before the purchase I contacted South with Stalker and he told me that it would not hurt the bow to pull back to my 31"DL, but it would gain 2.5lb/per inch of draw after the 27". (amazing that the owner/bower picked up the phone) was absolutely correct, the bow pulls 46 lb's. I went out on a limb to purchase that used bow that I have never felt in my hand. I was extremely impressed at how well it fit, and how repeatable the grip is. This is one bow I can pick up and just shoot, like I've owned it for years. Something to be said for the custom bows, there are many to choose from on stickbow/leatherwall in the $700-$800 range. I am very happy with my decision.

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
I shot recurves for 30 years self taught. I started with G Fred Asbells book, but it never clicked ( I have since come across others that agreed with my assessment) I found Ferguson's Become The Arrow a much better style that worked for me. Unfortunately after 30 years as my vision got worse my instinct shooting dropped off and I joined the compound ranks. When I retire I'll probably pick it back up on some level.....it IS magical when it comes together.