First Trail Camera

Enfield Z

FNG
I would like to know what a good first camera that doesn't break the bank. I don't need a bunch of added features and will be able to check on it frequently. Are there any features you just can't live without? I plan on buying climbing sticks to mount them high and possibly some Vietnam era pungi spikes to keep it safe. Lol

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
ive had very good luck with spyppoint cams around $100 many are over ten years old stay out all winter and still going....bought a few cabelas brand last summer for $100 with photo and short video options seem pretty good

It's pretty hard to go wrong with any of the bigger names. Wildgame has had some really good deals out there with batteries and sd cards coming with the cam all ready to go, and they seem to be pretty idiot proof. If u have critters going by your cam quickly the spypoints are hard to beat with lightning fast trigger speed

I have used most brands. For longevity and picture quality I have been impressed with Browning followed by Spypoint. I was most disappointed with the picture quality of Stealth Cam.

swiley

FNG
I second the browning cameras. I’ve also had pretty good luck with Bushnell and moultrie cams.

Hobbes330

FNG
I’ve always had good luck with the Browning cameras as well, and surprisingly a really cheap Muddy camera worked well also. The pictures weren’t super sharp but good enough to see what was coming around and if it would be a shooter or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wmr89

Lil-Rokslider
Check camofire, they normally post trail cameras on Tuesdays. I have bought a few stealthcams for around $35 from them on several occasions and they work just fine.

TNCAN

FNG
I started with Moultrie, but have since used Browning, based on recommendations from a friend. Totally satisfied with the switch.

st59

FNG
I run cheap tascos from Walmart and if I have a good deer on cam switch it out with a cell cam. Tascos quality is great daytime pics for $28 a cam

Limited experience here but we've had over a dozen out the last couple years from a variety of brands. There is a difference between models within a brand, but in general:

-Browning (3 or 4 models) have been very reliable, take pretty good pics, and have good detection circuits
-Spypoint (Link Dark) detection circuit is great. Doesn't miss anything. Only had this one out for a few months
-Stealth Cams from camofire all no glow ($60-$120) i think these are mostly refurbished. They work sometimes, sometimes dont. Mediocre detection circuits.
-Wildgame innovations - (i think mirage lightsout models) - these have worked well.
-Blaze Video from amazon-1 has been great one has been inconsistent.

These are all used for MN whitetail and thus we try to avoid animal detection as much as possible by only using no glow versions. This may not be as important in lower pressure western situations. The no-glow cams typically dont get as good of night time pics.

Going forward I'll be using primarily browning dark ops cams. Spypoint is a good option for catching critters moving through quickly and wildgame seems like a great budget option. I'd advise against stealth cams from camofire.

Netloss

FNG
Tasco's take great daytime pics, nighttime are sometimes blurry.
They are a great cheap camera and pretty simple to use.

Jimss

WKR
I have Browning, Campark, and Covert. The Campark were the cheapest and I actually like about the best. I have the Campark T45A model. I think I paid around $50 each which also included batteries and card. The Campark seems a little cheaper materials and may not last as long but takes great pics.
Some features I would look for is the ability to change how sensitive they pick up movement. At first I had them set at the highest sensativity. Moving sagebrush, grass, and clouds gave me gobs of empty pics. The other nice feature is the ability to view pics on a game camera screen. It's also nice being able to take 3 or 4 pics in a row when there are mutiple bucks together and also can see antlers instead of just a rump or nose.

For the $$ and the capabilities, the SPYPOINT link Micro is the last camera I’ll buy. As long as. They keep making them. I’ve bought 2 each year and have 6 now. Cellular capability with a FREE plan option. I don’t put them over boat so, 100 pics per month is usually ok. Excellent battery life, adjustable and fast trigger speed. Very reliable and simple to set up.

I have used and still Have, Bushnell, Browning, plotwatcher, Tasco, Wildgame Innovations. No longer have Reconyx, Leaf River, Moultrie.

YMMV

Agree with others on the spypoint. Have nothing but good things to say about them. Almost addicting waking up and looking at new pics on my phone.
A buddy is running a handful of those cheap amazon cameras line the apeman and he loves them. Great video with audio. Hard to beat for the price. I might just order one to give them a shot.

cjdewese

WKR
I have used the Victure Mini Trail Camera from amazon this year and have enjoyed it. It's my 1st camera so can't compare it with anything else but have taken thousands of photos and videos this season and just had to replace the batteries on 1 of my cameras.

Soupie

FNG
Lots of great suggestions on cameras. One other suggestion, even though it might be convenient to check it frequently, fight the urge. haha. Physically walking into that space too often will be counterproductive to your goal. Speaking from experience on this one.