First Trip: Katabatic Quilt

Just got back from my first backpacking trip sleeping in a Katabatic Alsek 22 Quilt. I picked up one of the closeout models a few months ago. Overall, I'm very impressed. The attachment system on paper seems a bit complex and finicky, but it easy to set up and adjust on my Nemo Tensor Insulated sleeping pad. The cord and clip system works really well at sealing the sides to prevent drafts. I'm generally a side sleeper, so it was really great to be able to roll inside the quilt without it moving. It wasn't too chilly, so I didn't get to test the lower end of the temp range, but I think it will be plenty warm for most fall hunting.

mlgc20

WKR
I've had hundreds of nights in my Katabatic Palisade. I love it. I have tried quilts from numerous other manufacturers. And I own quilts from UGQ and EE. They are both very good too. But, the attachment system on the Katabatic quilts is far superior IMO.

Cbled

Lil-Rokslider
Same boat here. Just returned from 12 days in northern BC. Took a 30’ flex quilt, temps got down to freezing at night, quilt was plenty warm. I never did use the attachment system, overall I’m very impressed with the quilt and will use again on my next sheep hunt.

Drenalin

WKR
It wasn't too chilly, so I didn't get to test the lower end of the temp range, but I think it will be plenty warm for most fall hunting.
I'd say Katabatic temp ratings are conservative. I had my 30 degree Flex quilt down to 16 degrees this winter and, with a jacket, was comfortable enough. I've frozen in another popular brand's 20 degree quilt at 40 degrees.

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
Do you guys use the attachment system to wrap the quilt around the pad or do you cinch the quilt around yourself?

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

OP
SLCbowhunter
Do you guys use the attachment system to wrap the quilt around the pad or do you cinch the quilt around yourself?

I used the attachment system. The cords included with the quilt wrap around the pad, you then use these clever little tabs sewn into the quilt to attach it the cords. The tabs have two slots for the cord, one wide, one tight. The wide allows the tab to slide back and forth on the cord, the tight slot locks the tab onto the cord. The tabs end up between you and the pad, which seals the sides and keeps the quilt cinched around you. Katabatic has a great video showing how it works on their website.

Gone4Days

WKR
I use the attachment straps on my EE to attach to pad. toss and turn without getting twisted in a sleeping bag

schmalzy

WKR

I found I didn’t really need it. I have the tall and wide flex 15. I love it. I could toss and turn with out issue. I use the top snap and the foot box zipped up and felt like I had plenty of room to move around and didn’t get any drafts. Had it paired with an xtherm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04