First Try At Sewing

Mt Al

WKR
Grandma's sewing machine is a gateway drug! More materials, a little more complex each time and pretty soon you'll be making awesome stuff all off season. Nice job.

OP
WESTERN VA HUNTER

WESTERN VA HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Dude is that an old Singer sewing machine? If so my moms got the same or similar. That’s machine will sew a slab of concrete to a steel plate. Great old machine. Keep up the good work.
It's a Dress Maker Deluxe Heavy Duty, Made in Japan for Singer. I'd love to find a manual for it somewhere, instead of downloading one... not the greatest picture but this is it.
20200102_230806.jpg

feanor

WKR
Nice job! It’s a fun experience to think of things to create and then set about it. I also used my grandmas old sewing machine after she could no longer see well enough to sew. Its a great thing to be able to share with her that it’s being used and cared for. I think they really appreciate that part of it.

First thing I've ever sewn. My grandmother gave me her old sewing machine for Christmas. Thought I'd make a few first aid kit bags to give to my friends and put in my trucks.View attachment 148280View attachment 148281
First thing I've ever sewn. My grandmother gave me her old sewing machine for Christmas. Thought I'd make a few first aid kit bags to give to my friends and put in my trucks.View attachment 148280View attachment 148281
Nice work. I have a pack I want to make some modifications to but to scared to start in case it all goes haywire.

OP
WESTERN VA HUNTER

WESTERN VA HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Nice job! It’s a fun experience to think of things to create and then set about it. I also used my grandmas old sewing machine after she could no longer see well enough to sew. Its a great thing to be able to share with her that it’s being used and cared for. I think they really appreciate that part of it.
My grandma is too old to use it anymore also. She loves to see what I make and see that it's getting used again. She encourages me to make more things. It gives me a bit of satisfaction to be able to make my own stuff and use it, and she gives me the confidence to try harder projects each time.

OP
WESTERN VA HUNTER

WESTERN VA HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Nice work. I have a pack I want to make some modifications to but to scared to start in case it all goes haywire.
Just start with small things and build your confidence. Go to a local sewing store and get some remnants to start. Some local sewing stores around here even offer sewing workshops to help you get started. I've found the local stores here have way more knowledge about the materials, thread and needle size for the materials you're working with. I'd rather spend my hard earned $ at a local mom and pops store, than a big chain retail store anyday.
I to want to make my own bag for my frame one day. I know I'm not to that point yet, but each little project gives me more confidence. I'll get there someday.
I found the idea and instructions on the first aid bags on YouTube. That's where I learned everything I know about sewing, and I learn more each thing I sew. (Especially what not to do!) Lol