First vs Second Focal Plane

I prefer to dial in elevation and hold for wind. I like SFP for hunting. But making sure I’m calculating everything right is a pain. It’s just my way, but I much prefer the SFP, fairly clean reticle.
I’m not a fan of busy Christmas trees.

Amos1693

FNG
I’ve always used SF until recently i purchased a FF and love it during target practice and performed greatly in the deer woods of missouri

JFK

WKR
To the OP, what type of shooting are you doing that requires a 20x magnification? SFP and big top end magnification make things tricky because they are only accurate at the max magnification. If you go SFP a scope with a top end of 9, 10, maybe 12x is all you really need and your wind holds will be accurate with decent FOV. If you want the 20x I wouldn’t even consider SFP.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
SFP and big top end magnification make things tricky because they are only accurate at the max magnification.
I don't think this is correct. You could have a SFP scope that maxes out at 18X. A hash mark that represents .5 mil @ 18X is .75 mil @ 12X, 1.5 mil @ 6X, and 3 mil @ 3X.

JFK

WKR
I don't think this is correct. You could have a SFP scope that maxes out at 18X. A hash mark that represents .5 mil @ 18X is .75 mil @ 12X, 1.5 mil @ 6X, and 3 mil @ 3X.
You are correct, and that’s not a big deal at the range, but not something I’m trying to do in a hunting situation under time constraint and stress.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
As long as you are using a laser range finder (and not the reticle) to establish distance to the target and are dialing (vs using the reticle for holdover), your drops at given distances are going to be what they are for your bullet trajectory, regardless of what X you have the scope turned up to. Range target and dial your turret accordingly.

My opinion is SFP for hunting. In addition to my approach above, I keep my scopes turned all the way down (until its time to crank it up)....I want to be able to easily see that reticle if a grizz is coming.

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
Just realized this thread is over a year old, lol
Yet the debate seems eternal on this one. I think its just mental masterbation IMO. 99% of the time, this topic is irrelevant for average shooting/hunting people. Any hunting or shooting board like this tends to have over the top enthusiasts and many would fall into the 1% category. But for the masses, this FFP vs SFP is a non-issue.

Sled

WKR
Yet the debate seems eternal on this one. I think its just mental masterbation IMO. 99% of the time, this topic is irrelevant for average shooting/hunting people. Any hunting or shooting board like this tends to have over the top enthusiasts and many would fall into the 1% category. But for the masses, this FFP vs SFP is a non-issue.

True.

I prefer to dial and like FFP with a thicker reticle for most hunting situations. When going between SFP/FFP systems I'd rather have my SFP with a simple cross hair. Drops with SFP leads to errors if you are used to the subtensions being valid at all magnifications.

PS, amos1693 is a Necro thread philiac.

ozyclint

WKR
all my scopes are FFP. I don't dial, I don't shoot long range.

I actually find FFP to be very versatile. If you're smart with your DOPE on the range you can use FFP to your advantage.

I have simple duplex reticles and use the top and bottom posts as POI according to what I've learnt on the range.

The reduced load in my .222rem with Leupold VXII 6-18x40 hits at the top post at 50m when the scope is on 6x. It also hits at the top post at 100m when I set the scope to 8x. handy when the gun is zeroed with a higher power 50gr bullet load.

Same with my .22lr bolt action with a Leupold VXII 3-9x40.
with different ammo (high velocity and subs) I have doped POI at different ranges and know where to set magnification and hold the reticle accordingly.

It allows you to 'dial' the magnification to zoom the reticle and change the subtensions for different ranges or perhaps different loads out of a single rifle. To a certain extent it replaces hold over/under

Wideback

FNG
Good info for an old thread. I prefer FFP but do own multiple SFP. I want to be able to hold for wind with as little thought as possible, which is why i prefer FFP. If you use SFP i would recommend a lower max of 9-12x so you can hold wind (assuming you have a reticle that allows).