First week Colorado

Pretty good first week.

6 guys 5 elk down, one day to go. I left bulls on the mountain hoping an old timer can get it done. He has one more day. 20 elk moved into the drainage tonight had a bull at 100 yds ripping. Lots of bugling for such a hot opening week. Moon?

Anyone here ever pack three elk out in a day? UUUUUUFFFFFF!

FYI, all within 1/2 mile from a road flat terrain.

Danimal

Lil-Rokslider
Complete opposite experience for our group. No vocalizations, cold and windy, bright moon. Some elk seen on opening day but completely shut down after that. Glad you guys made it happen.

OP
C
It was good, and getting better for sure. Only one night of rain, the rest hot! The older fellow had a bull bugling at 100 yds last night, a bunch of cows in the loop but he didn't get it done. I was hoping he'd go back in there this AM but not in the cards. I almost feel like driving back out there as I was saving that bull for him.

It was a good week with alot of packing. I'm still sore but will go out and try and fill my second tag in the upcoming weeks.

jasboj

FNG
Glad to hear of yall's success. Congrats! I can only hope for such an eventful filled trip. I'm heading out this week for Colorado for 10 days. We have been blessed to have had fairly consistent elk action the last few years and your story makes me even more excited for my upcoming trip!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

bozeman

WKR
Congrats on the hunt in WY or MT.....we know you put CO so people would go to CO and leave your ‘true’ hunting grounds alone. ;)

AdamW

WKR
High fence, loaded right on to the Kubota. We know the real story!

Sounds like an incredible week, post some pics when you can!

Last edited:
OP
C
My pic days on the web are long gone day. Too many guys trying to figure out where you hunt based off of photos. Count was two 5 points, one 4 point, and two cows. Both cows filled on the OTC female tags intentionally so now we can chase horns the last week. Special note the 4x4 was the guys first elk, and he was happy and shaking his head at the same time as he was in the middle of a giant herd and after he killed, a nice 6 point came through pushing cows and he had a glimpse of the herd bull at 15 yards no shot. Funny as the 6 was pushing a cow already and she ran into his dead elk, didn't like that.

Just a weird year for sure. Hot, dusty, full moon, and elk were blasting the first few days. Best thing was, pretty consisitent winds, and even if its hot, it makes it "Easier".

Two weeks and I'll be out for the last 8 -10 days.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My pic days on the web are long gone day. Too many guys trying to figure out where you hunt based off of photos.

I always take terrain, background, etc into account before posting any pics because a lot of them are dead give-aways. There was an article in a magazine a few years ago with photos, and I have the exact same picture I took of the area that was posted in the magazine, so I knew exactly where the guy had hunted and shot his giant bull.

Solid advice from the last two posters. It's nice to share the successes. Makes us about to leave get really fired up. But, pictures of a hunt that went that well, will do nothing but get others to take the leap to come and join over crowded Colorado anyways. Pictures posted on the internet don't make you a better hunter either. I love seeing them. But, be careful of the landmarks and scene you pose.

OP
C
Another bull down. Bulls are bugling and don’t want anything to do with cow calls. Bugles are key. I’m now designated caller. Just about sealed it this am on a 280ish bull.