First western hunt and point creep

Rutjunkie

FNG
So the family and i had planned to do a 2 week vacation to see yellowstone and then do a antelope hunt next yr. After researching some more it sounds like the pp dont go as far anymore. The wife and i will have 3pts and planned on doing the special. My question is what would u guys do? Wait another yr and have 4 pts? Try to find a trespess hunt and skip the special draw? What i want is a good hunt without tripping over other hunters, dont need a giant, just a decent goat.

go_deep

WKR
Wait till the draw is come out after this year's draw and you'll have an idea of what you can do. All personal preference, want a guide to put you on a goat, or would your wife and you have more fun DIY?

OP
R

Rutjunkie

FNG
Wait till the draw is come out after this year's draw and you'll have an idea of what you can do. All personal preference, want a guide to put you on a goat, or would your wife and you have more fun DIY?
Diy for sure

OP
R

Rutjunkie

FNG
I was under the assumption that a tresspass fee would be just for access to private land, still would be a diy hunt. I do not really want to push this trip off, if another yr really does nothing in regards to the quality of the hunt.

go_deep

WKR
I was under the assumption that a tresspass fee would be just for access to private land, still would be a diy hunt. I do not really want to push this trip off, if another yr really does nothing in regards to the quality of the hunt.
I kind of misinterpreted what you were saying. Yes, most trespass fees are just for access to hunt. I will caution you though, some of those ranches are as busy if not more than the public land sometimes.

NEWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
You can get a decent one with three points in the special next year. Crowding will depend on your perspective and timing.

Jimss

WKR
You are right that Wyo antelope seem to be on everyone's bucket list and it's getting tougher and tougher to draw tags. Generally, the more public land that is available the more pts it takes to draw. Unfortunately due to drought and winterkill a lot of tags have been cut the past couple years. Obviously with fewer antelope there are fewer tags available and it's taking longer to draw some of the better tags. Units with more private land generally have better draw odds; however, the pts it takes for those units are even rising. Keep your fingers crossed there are lots of healthy fawns born and little winterkill/drought so tags will increase soon!

Fallfreak

Lil-Rokslider
If you are not too worried about trophy potential I would go. Pick the best unit you can get with the points you have. Make sure you have onX or something comparable as with your amount of points there will likely be a checker board of public/private land. I would not go the first week or 2 and try to hunt week days instead of the weekend to avoid hunter numbers. Make sure you pick up a point this fall and go have a great hunt.

Jdubb518

FNG
So the family and i had planned to do a 2 week vacation to see yellowstone and then do a antelope hunt next yr. After researching some more it sounds like the pp dont go as far anymore. The wife and i will have 3pts and planned on doing the special. My question is what would u guys do? Wait another yr and have 4 pts? Try to find a trespess hunt and skip the special draw? What i want is a good hunt without tripping over other hunters, dont need a giant, just a decent goat.
I would look at the success rates and then make you decision

OP
R

Rutjunkie

FNG
If you are not too worried about trophy potential I would go. Pick the best unit you can get with the points you have. Make sure you have onX or something comparable as with your amount of points there will likely be a checker board of public/private land. I would not go the first week or 2 and try to hunt week days instead of the weekend to avoid hunter numbers. Make sure you pick up a point this fall and go have a great hunt.
Kinda what im thinking. It is my understanding u can not corner hop on the checkerboard? I have onx and am having a tough time understanding the roads. I see alot of hash mark roads, not sure if these are private. Is there a gis or some site that shows what roads are usable? Interesting on the not going till later in the season. I was always told after a few days they push onto private and u better have your lope picked out before season. Im sure i am overthinking this, but being my and wifes first western hunt, i am concerned

conley417

Lil-Rokslider
Kinda what im thinking. It is my understanding u can not corner hop on the checkerboard? I have onx and am having a tough time understanding the roads. I see alot of hash mark roads, not sure if these are private. Is there a gis or some site that shows what roads are usable? Interesting on the not going till later in the season. I was always told after a few days they push onto private and u better have your lope picked out before season. Im sure i am overthinking this, but being my and wifes first western hunt, i am concerned

From what I've seen a lot of the hash mark roads on ONX are private

Hash line marked roads are indeed private. I am not 100% sure about the corner hopping… I heard the same thing as well so I went deep into their website and found a clear as mud answer… I’ll see if I can attach it

Attachments

• 5CEAA6DD-C63C-4BCE-B8A4-A3BC63150A00.png
    5CEAA6DD-C63C-4BCE-B8A4-A3BC63150A00.png
    566.6 KB · Views: 40

bmrfish

WKR
No need to put it off. Go and have a blast. As others have said, look at the odds from this year’s draw, look at amounts of public land, look also for WDFG walk in areas. Get the gps map showing public/private, don’t leave home without it. Visit BLM office to clarify roads that are open. Drive the roads but if there is a good spot off the road, not a lot of people walk far. Get some doe tags for your unit. No corner crossing and be respectful of private lands - ranchers are great folks but have to deal with too many bad hunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ Rich M, and bmrfish… do you know the checker boarding or corner crossing for sure will be a ticket? If so how? The page I posted earlier was straight from Wyoming fish and game’s website. It states specifically that corner crossing does not violate fish and game trespass statute, and depending on what the hunter was doing (ie trying to hunt private or corner cross into more public) would be a factor in criminal trespass.

I am only asking for clarification and knowledge. I’m not questioning you, more questioning my understanding of what I read.

On another note I have put in several calls to a warden to get concrete answers but have yet to get through. When I do I will post about the information I receive.

BuzzH

WKR
@ Rich M, and bmrfish… do you know the checker boarding or corner crossing for sure will be a ticket? If so how? The page I posted earlier was straight from Wyoming fish and game’s website. It states specifically that corner crossing does not violate fish and game trespass statute, and depending on what the hunter was doing (ie trying to hunt private or corner cross into more public) would be a factor in criminal trespass.

I am only asking for clarification and knowledge. I’m not questioning you, more questioning my understanding of what I read.

On another note I have put in several calls to a warden to get concrete answers but have yet to get through. When I do I will post about the information I receive.
For sure you will NOT get a ticket from a warden, and corner crossing is becoming more and more common in Wyoming all the time.

I've researched the issue a ton, and have found ZERO cases, in any Wyoming County, where it was prosecuted as criminal trespass. In fact, one popular area that corner crossing happens, people have asked to get tickets just to take it to court. The county sheriff won't issue the ticket.

There was a case in Albany County where judge Robert Castor ruled in favor of a hunter that corner crossed.

The thing about corner crossing is to make 100% sure you know where the corner is. I've done it and will do it again.

Anyone that tells you its a hunting violation is full of crap...its not, and wardens have been instructed to not write for it.

Rich M

WKR

I actually hunted WY in 2017 - local GW told me that corner hopping was a no-no and I would be ticketed if I did it. I've also seen it in the regulations and information put out by the state of WY where it says not to.

GW will be the best source cause he's the one that will show up if the local land owner calls it in.

This is from area 62, public access section, on the antelope hunt planner map - look it up:
"While roughly 60 percent is public land, slightly more than the southern half of this area lies in what is called the “checkerboard,” where every other square mile is private. As a result, public lands in the checkerboard that do not touch a public road are generally not accessible without permission of a private land owner...."

Ultimately, you make the call.

Buzz may simply be trying to get NR folks in trouble.

I actually hunted WY in 2017 - local GW told me that corner hopping was a no-no and I would be ticketed if I did it. I've also seen it in the regulations and information put out by the state of WY where it says not to.

GW will be the best source cause he's the one that will show up if the local land owner calls it in.

This is from area 62, public access section, on the antelope hunt planner map - look it up:
"While roughly 60 percent is public land, slightly more than the southern half of this area lies in what is called the “checkerboard,” where every other square mile is private. As a result, public lands in the checkerboard that do not touch a public road are generally not accessible without permission of a private land owner...."

Ultimately, you make the call.

Buzz may simply be trying to get NR folks in trouble.

Generally you'll have a hard time being exactly at the corner so I'd agree that they aren't accessible for that reason. I don't think Buzz is trying to get anyone in trouble.