First Western Hunt: Layering Advice

New to Rokslide but have learned a lot over the years from these forums. Piecing together gear for my first backcountry hunt 7+ days. Gearing this around a rifle season hunt in Idaho/Montana/Colorado and was hoping for feedback or suggestions on what I have so far. I tend to run hot so not too worried about the cold (within reason) if I’m moving around.

base layer: merino boxers, merino long Johns, merino t-shirt
Pants: Sitka timberline pant
Active/Mid layer: Kuiu Pro Merino 200 zip-T
Soft shell: Kuiu Guide Jacket
Puffy: Eddie Bauer 650 puffy

Rain gear: still looking & researching, the good shit is $$$

any additions/modifications/suggestions before I go from the cart to checkout?
Thanks!

Jbxl20

WKR
I have the Eddie Bauer 650 puffy. I’ve been happy with it so far. Maybe think about getting puffy pants. I only used them 2 times during archery elk but I’m glad I had them
With me.

manitou1

WKR
Personally, I would scrap the soft shell for another mid layer... fleece or similar. Lighter weight, more packable.
If windy or chilly, but not cold enough for a puffy, just throw that rain jacket over top of the Peloton or Peloton+fleece.
I have multiple soft shells sitting in tubs in the basement... and never use them any more.

Jbxl20

WKR
Personally, I would scrap the soft shell for another mid layer... fleece or similar. Lighter weight, more packable.
If windy or chilly, but not cold enough for a puffy, just throw that rain jacket over top of the Peloton or Peloton+fleece.
I have multiple soft shells sitting in tubs in the basement... and never use them any more.
I agree with this. I use my kuiu 240 in place of a softshell. A kuiu strongfleece 260 works well under a 240 for colder temps.

jd1006

WKR
For Rifle:

1. Merino/Synthetic - your preference, I’d get a hoody top with a zip to dump heat, and zip off bottoms. I like the Peloton 97 combo with sitka merino boxers. I will often wear the Sitka Lightweight Merino Quarter zip
2. Peloton 240 Vest - dries fast, blocks wind. If Orange is a requirement, they do make this in orange.
3. Corrugate Foundry Pants from FL
4. Rain Gear/Hardshell Pants and Jacket - I go with the Filson Reliance (soft shell performance in a hard shell) and Arcteryx LEAF Alpha LT Pants
5. Puffy Jacket with a windproof exterior - usually better off looking for a solid jacket from the non-hunting companies, I picked up the REI Stormhenge in Green and it performed very well this year. The Lost Park Parka from Kifaru is a purchase I just made.
6. Consider puffy pants - might not need to bring them, I like the Lost Park Pants from Kifaru
7. Glassing mitts - I have the FL Brooks but Outdoor Research makes a pair
8. Gaiters - Love the new Stone Glacier Gaiters

Wrench

WKR
You can use something like marmot precip if bucks are a problem. Raingear is noisy until you hit the top level and precip will do 95% as good as anything for 20% of the price. You won't blend in as well as a dude in camo, but you can blend in as well as a deer or bear.

OP
Snagletoothtiger
You can use something like marmot precip if bucks are a problem. Raingear is noisy until you hit the top level and precip will do 95% as good as anything for 20% of the price. You won't blend in as well as a dude in camo, but you can blend in as well as a deer or bear.
Thanks! I struggle to justify $600+ for rain gear. I figure if it’s raining hard enough for a rain jacket, it being a little noisy won’t matter as much

OP
Snagletoothtiger
I’ve been toying with the idea of scrapping a soft shell. Do you know if any of the heavier Kuiu mid layers help with the wind at all?

You’ll want a softshell like the kuiu axis to put over your puffy. Blocks the wind and makes your gear more durable, also blocks moisture way better than a puffy. You won’t be disappointed keeping a soft shell for these purposes in my opinion

Jbxl20

WKR
I’ve been toying with the idea of scrapping a soft shell. Do you know if any of the heavier Kuiu mid layers help with the wind at all?
Kuiu 240 is wind resistant. I haven’t worn my FL corrugate guide jacket since I got the 240.

manitou1

WKR
I use a lightweight rain jacket as the outer shell over a puffy. Less bulk, less weight, dual purpose.

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
Like already mentioned the Peleton 240 is very good in wind. Verified that again when I got my 240 bloody on Saturday and used my softshell as my outer layer for the rest of the day. Noticed the wind got to me much more than earlier. Not sure where a softshell fits in my system other than for brush busting or completely calm days