First Western Hunt!! New Mexico unit 45 rifle elk

I drew first rifle for unit 45 in New Mexico. I've been doing a tom of e-scouting and was hoping to run it by someone who has been on the field before. With my work schedule i was unable to make it out beforehand to scout. Appreciate all the help!!

I got drawn for the Same Hunt. I've gotten info from some people here and there. PM me and i'll help with little knowledge I have..

Austink47

WKR
You and snakebadger should think about pooling your resources and hiring a packer. Kind of joking, but seriously it is tough unit to hunt especially solo. The places you are going to consistently find elk are further and steeper than one person should attempt to pack out. Just my take on it. Beautiful country though.

OP
D
I convinced my cousin to join me as a pack mule that will be paid in meat. haha But with that said ive been trying like heck to find a packer to hire and have had zero luck. Know anyone?

elkduds

WKR
I just sent you a test message, look for a red mark on upper right toolbar by your username. Also, you may not have enough posts to allow "conversations," but you will shortly.

DRUSS

WKR
PM sent
Also added this
77ea339b770bcc7cdc2ce08084aa72a6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

EastMont

FNG
No luck here ether! Windy, full moon, and frustrating. Did you see much for elk?

OP
D
I saw some cows and one bull Thursday before the opener on Elk Mtn but their were a ton of locals and ranchers driving up and down the roads which probably didnt help. I heard some bulls bugling before as well but never laid eyes on them or heard any once season opened.

EastMont

FNG
I saw some cows and one bull Thursday before the opener on Elk Mtn but their were a ton of locals and ranchers driving up and down the roads which probably didnt help. I heard some bulls bugling before as well but never laid eyes on them or heard any once season opened.

Pretty much had the same expierence. Had two bulls bugle during the hunt but everything was really high. Finally got into elk at 11,000+ft