First Western Hunting Rifle

CMuehl

FNG
Hello all,
I'm looking for my first rifle for hunting antelope & deer(maybe sheep?) out to about 600 yards and also occasionally target shooting out to 1000 yards. I'm leaning toward a 6.5 creedmoor but am open to other suggestions. I want it to have a stainless action and barrel and would like it to have a sturdy enough synthetic stock to shoot off of a bipod without changing POI. I've spent a lot of time researching rifles around $1000 and right now I have it narrowed down to the following:

Savage 110 High Country-8.1lbs, the only thing I don't like is the weight. The accustock seems really sturdy with the aluminum rail embedded in it and I like the heavier contour of the barrel for target shooting. The metal magazines seem high quality. I also like the spiral fluted bolt and barrel as well as the brown PVD finish that isn't as flashy as bare stainless. (around $900)

Savage 110 Storm-7.4lbs, basically the same as the High Country without the frills. (around $700)

Tikka T3x Lite SS-6.5lbs, haven't heard many negative things about Tikka other than poor customer service. Possibly too lightweight for consistent long range shooting. The forend of the stock seemed pretty flimsy for shooting off a bipod. Would prefer if the mags were flush fitting. Like the 70 degree bolt throw for scope clearance. Good trigger & smooth action. (around $800)

Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS-6.75lbs, Haven't held a new one with the B&C stock but it sounds like it would be pretty sturdy with the aluminum bedding block. I've heard mixed reviews about the trigger. (around $1100)

Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker-6.25lbs, Really light like the Tikka. Have heard the trigger isn't great but can be improved with an inexpensive spring. The magazines and magazine release seem kinda cheap. The stock seemed pretty flimsy, about equal to the Tikka. I like the 60 degree bolt throw. I've read that the Dura-Touch coating on the stock can start wearing off in wet weather. (around $1000)

Right now I'm leaning toward the Savage 110 High Country. I would be putting a 20MOA base (2.5oz) and Seekins rings (4.2oz) on it and most likely a Huskemaw Blue Diamond 4-16x42 (21.4oz) giving me a total weight around 9.9lbs. I don't have a lot of experience with spot and stalk hunting so let me know what you think a good rifle weight would be as well as any experiences you have with any of these rifles.

Not sure where you are but if you are near a Sportsmans Warehouse I'd be looking at the Tikka Superlite 6.5 Creed, they have them on sale now for $699. Makes for a nice rifle and should shoot well for you.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
Out of those, I’d get the tikka. It’s a known quantity and you can be almost certain it’ll shoot well.

OXN939

WKR
Hello all,
I'm looking for my first rifle for hunting antelope & deer(maybe sheep?) out to about 600 yards and also occasionally target shooting out to 1000 yards. I'm leaning toward a 6.5 creedmoor but am open to other suggestions. I want it to have a stainless action and barrel and would like it to have a sturdy enough synthetic stock to shoot off of a bipod without changing POI. I've spent a lot of time researching rifles around $1000 and right now I have it narrowed down to the following:

Savage 110 High Country-8.1lbs, the only thing I don't like is the weight. The accustock seems really sturdy with the aluminum rail embedded in it and I like the heavier contour of the barrel for target shooting. The metal magazines seem high quality. I also like the spiral fluted bolt and barrel as well as the brown PVD finish that isn't as flashy as bare stainless. (around $900)

Savage 110 Storm-7.4lbs, basically the same as the High Country without the frills. (around $700)

Tikka T3x Lite SS-6.5lbs, haven't heard many negative things about Tikka other than poor customer service. Possibly too lightweight for consistent long range shooting. The forend of the stock seemed pretty flimsy for shooting off a bipod. Would prefer if the mags were flush fitting. Like the 70 degree bolt throw for scope clearance. Good trigger & smooth action. (around $800)

Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS-6.75lbs, Haven't held a new one with the B&C stock but it sounds like it would be pretty sturdy with the aluminum bedding block. I've heard mixed reviews about the trigger. (around $1100)

Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker-6.25lbs, Really light like the Tikka. Have heard the trigger isn't great but can be improved with an inexpensive spring. The magazines and magazine release seem kinda cheap. The stock seemed pretty flimsy, about equal to the Tikka. I like the 60 degree bolt throw. I've read that the Dura-Touch coating on the stock can start wearing off in wet weather. (around $1000)

Right now I'm leaning toward the Savage 110 High Country. I would be putting a 20MOA base (2.5oz) and Seekins rings (4.2oz) on it and most likely a Huskemaw Blue Diamond 4-16x42 (21.4oz) giving me a total weight around 9.9lbs. I don't have a lot of experience with spot and stalk hunting so let me know what you think a good rifle weight would be as well as any experiences you have with any of these rifles.

From the perspective of someone who has owned and shot a ton of hunting rifles, I keep coming back to the conclusion that the Extreme Weather SS is about as close to the perfect rifle as you get. It's light-ish, got a great Controlled Round Feed action that is butter smooth, freefloated, accurate, adjustable trigger that breaks nicely, great feeling stock, spot bedded from the factory... and, oh yeah, they are gorgeous rifles. Both that I've owned have been tack drivers. If you get one of these to begin with, you won't spend several thousand dollars over the next few years on the olde "slight rifle upgrade tree."

20191214_120053.jpg

tntrker

WKR
I went with the Savage High Country 300wm and love it. Nosler 180gr Trophy or their Long Range 190gr shoots just fine at sub-MOA. I did have to back the brake out 1 complete turn to keep them consistently tight at 400yrds +.

Evergreen

WKR
I would lean towards the 6.5 PRC for that extra energy at the 5-600 yard mark. Browning is my go to rifle.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
From the perspective of someone who has owned and shot a ton of hunting rifles, I keep coming back to the conclusion that the Extreme Weather SS is about as close to the perfect rifle as you get. It's light-ish, got a great Controlled Round Feed action that is butter smooth, freefloated, accurate, adjustable trigger that breaks nicely, great feeling stock, spot bedded from the factory... and, oh yeah, they are gorgeous rifles. Both that I've owned have been tack drivers. If you get one of these to begin with, you won't spend several thousand dollars over the next few years on the olde "slight rifle upgrade tree."

View attachment 144647

I'm a huge fan of the M70 EWSS, I have one in 30-06 and its been nothing short of awesome for me. I often think about getting another one eventually but I have so many other projects going on, I probably won't get another one for awhile. I've been loading the 200g partition and 200g ELDx in mine with great results I've used it on moose and caribou over the past few years, IMO, my EWSS 30-06 is pretty much the ultimate all around rifle, if I had to get rid of all my guns and keep just one, it would propably be this one.

Swift

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the PRC Christensen would be my first choice followed by a browning or a Tikka

OXN939

WKR
if I had to get rid of all my guns and keep just one, it would propably be this one.

That's what I'm sayin, man. There is almost no hunt on the planet, outside of elephants or cape buffalo in Africa, that rifle wouldn't cover beautifully. Moose? Shoot 180s or 200s. Blacktail? Shoot 150s. Feral hogs? Throw an LPVO on there. Mulies? Dial-able optic like I have on mine. Really ruins the fun of going through the cost of a down payment on a house on rifles.

Speaking of which, the .308 variety can be had for 900 something bucks right now.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
That's what I'm sayin, man. There is almost no hunt on the planet, outside of elephants or cape buffalo in Africa, that rifle wouldn't cover beautifully. Moose? Shoot 180s or 200s. Blacktail? Shoot 150s. Feral hogs? Throw an LPVO on there. Mulies? Dial-able optic like I have on mine. Really ruins the fun of going through the cost of a down payment on a house on rifles.

Speaking of which, the .308 variety can be had for 900 something bucks right now.

I just have a basic 3-9 on mine now and its been great for what I've used it for, I have been thinking about putting something with a bit more capability on it though, not sure if I really want to throw an SWFA 3-9 on it or just get something like a Leupold vx3i or vx5 with a cds dial.

3sdad

FNG
I like my tikka super light in 6.5 creedmoor. Topped with a leupold vx3i 4.5-14x40 and a full mag im at 7lbs 8.4oz. Not what I would call an ideal bench gun, but a solid hunting rifle. If the gun was available in 6.5 prc I would have gone that route. That being said, like mentioned above, the CA in 6.5 prc would be sweet.

Mr.Crumbz

FNG

View attachment 144647

I couldn’t agree more! I loved my first Extreme Weather, in 7mm08, so much that I bought a second one in 30-06. My hopes for the 30-06 are to have it bored up 35 cal for a Whelen build. Once you experience the action on the model 70 it’s hard to appreciate anything else IMO.