First Western Hunting Rifle

WCB

WKR
I have 5 Savages and everyone is a shooter. I have had no problems with any one of them. IMO you can't go wrong with any option you listed though.

I have the Savage High Country in 6.5 CRD. Awesome shooting gun. With Berger Hybrids I've shot several 10 shot groups and a quarter covers them easily. Federal Trophy Coppers shoot about MOA. Federal Nosler Accubond Loads are 3/4 MOA. The last two rounds were shot with under 40rds through the gun. I'm going to put more of them through now that I have a couple hundred through the gun and I expect they will shoot even tighter. It is on the heavier side but the adjustable stock in the cats ass. I have it on the .223 Varmint from Savage also.

The Savage Storms are nice guns and definitely lighter

EmperorMA

WKR
From the perspective of someone who has owned and shot a ton of hunting rifles, I keep coming back to the conclusion that the Extreme Weather SS is about as close to the perfect rifle as you get. It's light-ish, got a great Controlled Round Feed action that is butter smooth, freefloated, accurate, adjustable trigger that breaks nicely, great feeling stock, spot bedded from the factory... and, oh yeah, they are gorgeous rifles. Both that I've owned have been tack drivers. If you get one of these to begin with, you won't spend several thousand dollars over the next few years on the olde "slight rifle upgrade tree."

View attachment 144647
No doubt for me, either. Nothing beats the Winchester Model 70 EW for me. I’d do 6.5 Creedmoor if you can find one, or .270 Win or 7mm-08 if you can’t.

OP
C

CMuehl

FNG
Thank you all for your insight. I have a lot to think about. I just saw that Savage announced their new 110 Ultralight with an MSRP of $1500. Weighs 5.8lbs and comes with a Proof Research carbon fiber barrel. I don't know much about carbon fiber barrels but it looks interesting. I'm definitely going to wait until after SHOT Show to make my decision just in case something else is released.

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
Yea, the way things are advancing there always seems to be something better coming out each year.

Try not to get caught up in it though....there's always something newer & better on the horizon, but they don't kill the animal any better than what's out already. I'm always hesitant on carbon fiber barrels, one good scrape from a fall on the barrel & i'm sure it'll start to fray or something. Looks cool, but seems like an unnecessary technology at a premium price.

Jrpwa

FNG
CA in 6.5 Prc is a great rifle, I know the Tikkas shoot well from the factory it just boils down to what feels the best in your hands they all shoot pretty good.