First wolf

Mattdrake

FNG
Yeah its ridiculous. A few weeks ago I posted the article about wolves potentially being placed back on the ESL and the link to where you could comment in opposition on a social media hunting group page. I was appalled at the amount of people on a hunting page that were appearing that they were in favor of relisting. Sometimes we are needlessly fighting ourselves.
So stupid and frustrating, I can't wait to get my first wolf.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Most do not realize these are an invasive species that never should have been introduced.
Not sure what you mean. Wolves were native and reintroduced?

Ucsdryder

WKR
Not sure what you mean. Wolves were native and reintroduced?

That was a mouthful. I look at it like this….an Alberta whitetail might go 300 pounds. A Georgia white tail might go 100. They’re both white tails but they’re different animals. Let’s put some 70 pound wolves in Idaho and they won’t be as destructive as a 150 pound wolf. So yes, they’re different.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
That was a mouthful. I look at it like this….an Alberta whitetail might go 300 pounds. A Georgia white tail might go 100. They’re both white tails but they’re different animals. Let’s put some 70 pound wolves in Idaho and they won’t be as destructive as a 150 pound wolf. So yes, they’re different.
"Wolves, like all animals, are a product of their environment and highly adaptable. Their size relates to their habitat and prey.
Jon Rachael, F&G's state big game manager, said current wolf weights vary throughout the state. Packs adjacent to each other may have larger or smaller individuals, simply because one pack is healthier than the other."

Alberta and Georgia are pretty far away with vastly different habitats etc. I think it stands to reason that if the only size difference between the wolves that bordered Idaho and the "native" ones is directly related to habitat and prey, then they likely would have changed to where they are now. As Jon noted our wolves still vary greatly in size based on located despite them all coming from 2 groups in Canada.

Ucsdryder

WKR
"Wolves, like all animals, are a product of their environment and highly adaptable. Their size relates to their habitat and prey.
Jon Rachael, F&G's state big game manager, said current wolf weights vary throughout the state. Packs adjacent to each other may have larger or smaller individuals, simply because one pack is healthier than the other."

Alberta and Georgia are pretty far away with vastly different habitats etc. I think it stands to reason that if the only size difference between the wolves that bordered Idaho and the "native" ones is directly related to habitat and prey, then they likely would have changed to where they are now. As Jon noted our wolves still vary greatly in size based on located despite them all coming from 2 groups in Canada.
Also it has to do with size of prey. If they’re chasing larger animals, Canadian moose, Canadian whitetail, Canadian elk, which are all SIGNIFICANTLY bigger than the Idaho version, they’re going to evolve to be bigger. They aren’t bigger just because. There has to be a need. And there’s a need in Canada, not in the US. So yes, they’re different animals.

nature has a way of working herself out. After they finish off all the elk and moose they’ll start to starve and evolve into smaller animals. Don’t worry, it’ll only take 100 years or so.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Also it has to do with size of prey. If they’re chasing larger animals, Canadian moose, Canadian whitetail, Canadian elk, which are all SIGNIFICANTLY bigger than the Idaho version, they’re going to evolve to be bigger. They aren’t bigger just because. There has to be a need. And there’s a need in Canada, not in the US. So yes, they’re different animals.

nature has a way of working herself out. After they finish off all the elk and moose they’ll start to starve and evolve into smaller animals. Don’t worry, it’ll only take 100 years or so.
100 years to evolve??😂

TheTone

WKR
Except there are no 150lb wolves in Idaho. I think the biggest one ever collared, so live weight was mid 130’s. Most harvested ones are under 100

Oldsmoke

FNG
Also killed my first wolf in Idaho, shot it during my deer hunt, and just received my $2500. check.

Attachments

• Wolf 2.jpg
    Wolf 2.jpg
    510.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Wolf 4.jpg
    Wolf 4.jpg
    546.5 KB · Views: 52

KID

FNG
I'm glad Idaho has a management plan for wolves. I'd be proud to post my first wolf kill. Nice going!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Units 4 4a and one further I believe it will be reduced back to $500 soon they said those units were crawling with them and they have made a dent…..recent news letter

Attachments

• A6539885-8BD8-4179-963B-B7548CCEB115.jpeg
    A6539885-8BD8-4179-963B-B7548CCEB115.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 36
  • F17AC66B-5F34-4411-94B4-BACBAA3C7BD4.png
    F17AC66B-5F34-4411-94B4-BACBAA3C7BD4.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • EECC4AA8-2656-46A8-9B83-643960896E92.png
    EECC4AA8-2656-46A8-9B83-643960896E92.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 37