First Wy antelope hint

What advice does anyone have for going on an antelope hunt as this will be my first antelope/mule deer hunt. Bino size? Gear?

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Plan the proper amount of time as well. It can make a big difference in the quality of hunt you have as well as making you able to adjust trophy expectations.

Gear wise a September hunt is very different than an October hunt. Look at the elevation where the hunt is and plan accordingly. Bring chains just in case too, a little rain can change things drastically.

Rich M

WKR
10x binoculars

practice shooting a bit before you go. Figure you are gonna get 1 shot and want to make it. Think i shot 300 rounds before my last trip - got one at 25 yds and one at 350 yards. Saw most of them between 75 and 200 yards.

Have fun - it's a great hunt.

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
A bipod or tripod is a must, test your rangefinder out at long flat distances beforehand. When I went I could not get a yardage on flat landscape which made it very difficult.

Scorpion

WKR
Fresh batteries in a quality rangefinder. Leather gloves and knee pads. Practice shooting off of a pack, shooting sticks, or bipod. Most bipods are too low to get over the sage brush in some areas, keep that in mind.

I’ve used 8x, 10x, and 12x. Any of those will work, you’ll need a spotter if you’re planning to be picky.

rcleofly

FNG
I was north of Douglas last year the second week of October. Once the blizzard hit, us overly prepared MI boys were the only people left in the hunt area. Weather can change fast in WY. Be sure to be prepared for that.

I was north of Douglas last year the second week of October. Once the blizzard hit, us overly prepared MI boys were the only people left in the hunt area. Weather can change fast in WY. Be sure to be prepared for that.
We just missed that snowstorm sounded like it got rough last year

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

rcleofly

FNG
We just missed that snowstorm sounded like it got rough last year

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
We had one day that was just miserable. It was a freezing rain and snow mixed with high winds but once the wind calmed down it was actually really really cool. And I shot a prongy in the snow and that just doesn’t happen every day lol.

Yep was in Buffalo during the blizzard.

JFK

WKR
Good advice above. I’d add that you should have a solid setup for taking care of the meat. Getting them skinned and on ice makes a big difference in meat quality. Plenty of guys skin them on the ground which works fine. I brought a hitch mounted gambrel this past year and it was a nice addition that made things very clean and easy. In any case, have coolers with ice with you while hunting. If you get one, get it skinned and on ice asap.

OP
T
Good advice above. I’d add that you should have a solid setup for taking care of the meat. Getting them skinned and on ice makes a big difference in meat quality. Plenty of guys skin them on the ground which works fine. I brought a hitch mounted gambrel this past year and it was a nice addition that made things very clean and easy. In any case, have coolers with ice with you while hunting. If you get one, get it skinned and on ice asap.
I'm planning on getting game bags and getting it quartered and on ice asap. Were driving our own truck out so coolers will be in the back. Is it better to use a gun mounted bipod or shooting stick?