First year Colorado otc archery elk

First post guys. Me and my cousin are planning a Colorado otc elk hunt. Anyone have any gear tips for us?

Welcome to the forum. As a fellow newbie myself, there are more gear tips than you can read in a day that are already on here if you use the search function. And you'll be able to narrow your search if you are looking for specific gear. Have a great hunt. You'll love it.

OP
L
Welcome to the forum. As a fellow newbie myself, there are more gear tips than you can read in a day that are already on here if you use the search function. And you'll be able to narrow your search if you are looking for specific gear. Have a great hunt. You'll love it.
To be honest I'm just trying to get my post in so I can buy some stuff off the classified section I should have been a little more clear and said creature comfort tips like don't forget salt and pepper lol

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
Like stated above, use the search function to find out any information on specific gear you’re considering.

Lots of questions need answered before even answering this question. Truck camping or backpack hunting, what part of the season are you hunting, how long your hunt is, etc.

OP
L
Most on here only give out honey holes.
I don't want any of those lol
Like stated above, use the search function to find out any information on specific gear you’re considering.

Lots of questions need answered before even answering this question. Truck camping or backpack hunting, what part of the season are you hunting, how long your hunt is, etc.
Backpack hunting early September hunting till we don't want to anymore

what he said 👆

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
I don't want any of those lol

Backpack hunting early September hunting till we don't want to anymore
Have you had any backpacking or elk hunting experience?

Early September is generally pretty hot, but you can get some crazy weather in the mountains. Need to be prepared for it at least. Merino wool clothing is definitely something I would consider a comfort item for a backpack hunt. Not necessary, but definitely worth the cost.

Go over to the FNG section and introduce yourself:

That'll get you some posts, you can share about yourself, what your goals are, etc, and you might even find some folks close to you or otherwise willing to help you out.

OP
L
Have you had any backpacking or elk hunting experience?

Early September is generally pretty hot, but you can get some crazy weather in the mountains. Need to be prepared for it at least. Merino wool clothing is definitely something I would consider a comfort item for a backpack hunt. Not necessary, but definitely worth the cost.
Yeah I have backpack hunting experience just never hunted the western states

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I have backpack hunting experience just never hunted the western states
Biggest advice is to make sure you and your cousins are as in the best shape possible, or have realistic expectations on where you can get an elk out from. Doesn’t do any good if you shoot one and can’t get it out. Either have a packer ready to call, or stay within an a certain distance from the road/trailhead. A mile in flat land is nothing, but a mile in CO at 10,000 feet is hard enough, along with all of the deadfall and elevation change. Everything will be much bigger and steeper than you’ll be able to see from maps.

If it’s your first western trip, just learn as much as you can and have fun. There are elk, but there’s a reason success rates are 10% and lower.

Aa03

FNG
I’m also going on my first elk hunt this year couldn’t be more excited

Fullfan

WKR
And don’t get upset when you hear other hunters calling. Because you will it is OTC.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Anyone have any gear tips for us?
Tent, sleeping bag, insulated sleeping pad, cook stove, coffee, ability to store extra filtered water, good boots with poly liner socks and merino boot socks, merino base, comfortable quiet clothes, fleece jacket, down puffy in pack, chapstick, kill kit, first aid kit, and your bow setup. For the rest, you'll figure out pretty quickly what you want or need for the next time.