First year Colorado otc archery elk

2nd chap stick
Trekking poles
Good boots and merino socks, break boots in BEFORE hunt.
Leukotape! For when you F up your feet and your not done yet...lol
Those are pro tips right there. Leuko tape is a must. When your feet are your only mode of transportation you gotta take good care of them. I carry a mini bottle of that gold bond foot powder for my overly sweaty feet. It's nice to put on when I air em out mid day if I sit and glass.

A good sleeping pad. I went with a cheap one last year on a week long backpack elk hunt and spent the majority of my nights sleeping on the ground.

😆 agreed and used last year. I had Leukotape all over my feet for a week straight. Steep nasty stuff...no blisters. I got laughed at for running a strip all the way around my toes. It worked and lasted.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The only time I've ever really needed the Leukotape has been on prolonged steep climbs. And since I generally do some of that almost daily, I will tape up my heels the first day and leave the tape on for a week at a time, and they're good.

I am new to hunting but live in CO and here is my .02:

1. Have rain gear that is immediately available. Storms hit fast in Colorado and you dont want to be digging into the bottom of your pack when the downpour starts. Also have a bunch of layers readily available. CO is so dry the temp will go from T-shirt weather to Hoodie Weather in 20 seconds if even a small cloud covers the sun.

2. Chap stick is a must.

3. Make an extra effort to hydrate. Colorado is insanely dry and will suck the moisture out of you constantly.

4. If you are from sea level the altitude will be a factor. The O2 bottles you can buy at shops look like a tourist gimmick but they can help a lot if you need a boost to get over a ridge etc.

5. Bring bear mace and bear bags for food.

6. Are you used to backpacking? If not do at least a few trips this summer to get used to the camp discipline and how to quickly set up and take down camp. Remember, if you are packing it in you need to get good at rolling up your tent etc.

7. If you are running freeze dried food, sample some different brands and kinds. Even with the same brand some 'meals' taste a lot better than others.

8. Be very aware of storms and lightning. Colorado is #6 for lightning deaths and you dont want to be stuck on an exposed ridge when the black clouds roll in. Also dont always trust weather forecasts. Storms are so localized that the websites wont always cover your exact location. A small area can get nailed with baseball sized hail and a half mile away it will be sunny. When looking at the weather a good trick is grey under a cloud is rain and white under a cloud is hail. The COWX twitter handle has really good updates and on the ground reports from locals.

9. On that note, weather in CO is extremely variable. I remember 2 years ago it was 95 deg on Labor day then Denver and Colorado Springs got hit with a snow storm 24 hours later. It will still get cold at night and if a storm hits in the late afternoon and the sun cant warm the area again it will get very cold.

10. You are really high in elevation so keep in mind UV radiation. Bring some sun screen and make sure to use it or cover up. If you are wearing a ball cap make sure to get your ears. CO is one of those states where you wont feel hot but the sun will still cook you.

Sharptail

FNG
75% (or more) of the bugles you hear are hunters. Be flexible where you camp and be willing to move. Elk are where you find them.

I am new to hunting but live in CO and here is my .02:

4. If you are from sea level the altitude will be a factor. The O2 bottles you can buy at shops look like a tourist gimmick but they can help a lot if you need a boost to get over a ridge etc.

IMO you're better off getting diamox from your Dr. I'm a sea level guy and flew straight to Cusco, Peru(that area is 9k-10K elevation) and hiked up into the mountains at 15K. Didn't need oxygen. Just popped a diamox as perscribed. I was hiking ~10miles per day with 40ish pounds

hunt1up

WKR
IMO you're better off getting diamox from your Dr. I'm a sea level guy and flew straight to Cusco, Peru(that area is 9k-10K elevation) and hiked up into the mountains at 15K. Didn't need oxygen. Just popped a diamox as perscribed. I was hiking ~10miles per day with 40ish pounds
Ditto on Diamox. I take it as well. It makes a huge difference for sleeping when I first get to elevation. I take it 2 days before leaving and 2-3 days while at elevation. After that I'm good to go without it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The O2 bottles you can buy at shops look like a tourist gimmick but they can help a lot if you need a boost to get over a ridge etc.
Two years ago I bought one of those O2 bottles to put in my pack. I figured if O2 was good enough for the NFL for quick recovery, then I'd give it a try at high altitude. The first time I used it, the next morning I woke up and the tent was spinning. It was horrible, to the point of making me launch. It settled down some but my equilibrium was bad all day even sticking around camp. I wasn't sure what caused that until I used the O2 again several days later. The same thing happened. After I got home I tried it there, and the same thing happened. Haven't used it since then, and haven't had that happen since then. I don't know what else is in that bottle........it says "95% aviator's O2", so now wondering what the other 5% is.

As a long time backpacker and backcounty hunter in CO, some of the most important pieces of gear I carry are:
- Warm sleep system with insulated sleeping pad. This is going to be heavier than you want it to be but it will be worth it. I've spent many days sweating in a T-shirt and shivering in all my clothes in my bag at night. You should avoid this if possible.
- Good, broken-in boots. You're going to be hiking steeps and there are so, so many blowdowns. As many others said here you need to keep your feet in good shape. Don't skimp here.
- A quick, easy way to get water.
- A realistic attitude about what to expect. It is OTC. There are going to be a lot of hunters. However many you are anticipating, it's going to be more than that. You'll run into us way in the backcounty too. You might not hear many elk. You might not see many elk. But it will be an excellent, character-building experience. (Now don't tell anybody else. And pick up your trash.)

arock

Lil-Rokslider
A decent packable puffy is a good thing to have - it is unlikely that you'll use it but I won't go without one now. As mentioned pretty much anything can happen in the high country and it can quickly turn from 60 and sunny to winter.

We got caught on a camping trip between 10 and 11k in elevation where it went from 65 and sunny to 37 and sleet. It was August and we were not prepared for winter weather. Luckily we were on the way in, threw up the tent, waited out the storm then made the defeated hike back to the truck to get off the mountain and warm. When we got home and checked the weather it had gone down to 29. Would have been a baaaad night. Forecast called for 60s and sunny with a slight chance of afternoon rain.

Gerbdog

WKR
A decent packable puffy is a good thing to have - it is unlikely that you'll use it but I won't go without one now. As mentioned pretty much anything can happen in the high country and it can quickly turn from 60 and sunny to winter.

We got caught on a camping trip between 10 and 11k in elevation where it went from 65 and sunny to 37 and sleet. It was August and we were not prepared for winter weather. Luckily we were on the way in, threw up the tent, waited out the storm then made the defeated hike back to the truck to get off the mountain and warm. When we got home and checked the weather it had gone down to 29. Would have been a baaaad night. Forecast called for 60s and sunny with a slight chance of afternoon rain.
Cant agree more on the lightweight puffy in the day pack. Weather changes frequently, quickly, and if you decide one day to sit on the ground near a wallow your likely going to try and sit in the shade to hide yourself better..... that ground and that shade can get chilly pretty dang quickly when your just sitting quietly.

dtrkyman

WKR
I get sick of drinking just water and would tend to not drink enough, I have been buying the liquid IV. powder and adding them to water, tastes pretty good and supposed to have some good supplements. Not sure if any of those are doing any good but I like the taste!

Any of the powdered variety you prefer can help keep hydrated, usually start the day off downing one before I even start a hike.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
Find an actual backpacking gear list if its your first time... Most of the "hunting" packing lists online are shilling products and/or made by Florida Joe that hunted once in Colorado.

Prepare for rapid temperature swings. It can easily be 80 F and be in the teens at night. Prepare for snow. Try and pack as light as you can.

cnelk

WKR
Weather Tip:
Rarely does it rain in the mornings in Colorado. Make hunting plans around this.

September is monsoon season so afternoon rains are more prevalent.

They are quick hitters, but windy and cold along with rain when it happens (monsoons have been minimal that past couple years)

Elk really like to move during or right after a rain shower so plan accordingly

nantzh

FNG
Trekking poles. Really helped me (flatlander) climb the mountain. Also for sure save me from taking a couple of spills.
Hydrate heavily and take it easy your first day. Last year I hit it pretty hard hiking in to my first spot and was spent that evening.

arock

Lil-Rokslider
Hydrating + using a hydration aid like liquid IV or pedialyte is a great suggestion as well.