First Year Elk Hunt

SemperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
It seems almost surreal that my buddy and I got the opportunity to get out to Idaho on our first elk hunt. I definitely count myself very fortunate to have had the experience as it wasn't long ago it was only a dream I had of being able to do so. I'll cut to the chase and state that we were not able to fill our tags, but then I don't think anyone reasonably expects to be able to fill their tags on the first go around. There were certainly a lot of lessons learned and things that we would do differently if given the opportunity again. We were able to see a few but no shot opportunities were presented.

I really just wanted to state a few observations as a first timer (to experienced elk hunters some of these will be blatantly obvious).
1.) When it's stated that you need to get in shape before doing this, it can't be understated. I worked my butt off for 3 months to get in shape and was pretty easily gassed.
2.) Even with doing e-scouting, nothing replaces the boots on ground scouting, not even close. We knew there would be obvious elevation change from topo maps but were still taken back from the sheer physical presentation that we took for granted looking at maps.
3.) Coming from Missouri white tail hunting where you sit on a choke point and wait for them to pass, this was far and above different although part of my strategy still relied on this basic principle for day 1.
4.) Going into this I thought rifle hunting elk gave us a significant advantage but after 5 days of scouting and hunting and only seeing a few, I'm convinced that elk are just very large ninja deer. I'm very intrigued at the thought of trying archery elk during the rut now.
5.) I've seen a lot of residents talk about the hunting pressure from non-residents but I saw very few out of state tags where I was. I'm sure that isn't necessarily the case everywhere. I was expecting to see a lot more for sure.
6.) It was an interesting experience as a non-resident hunter. This was the first time I've hunted out of state and I certainly got a mixed bag of responses from residents. A lot of glares and non-responsive folks as I would wave driving past. I definitely chose not to dwell on this though as the positive far outweighed the negative. There were a handful of residents that offered some great advice, a friendly wave and even one that went above and beyond to help which I'll go on explain later as my closing point.
7.) Lastly, the advice and assistance that was offered by a particular individual and his friend will never be forgotten and have forever altered how I will treat non-residents hunting in my state. They offered lots of helpful advice, drove out to meet us a significant distance out of their way and even went so far as to lend us the use of his wall tent and stove when we were gritting it out in our small tents while everyone around us in the campground were in campers and wall tents. This generosity was never expected and won't soon be forgotten. Had we just gone in and hunted hard as we did with seeing as few animals as we saw it would be easy to feel pretty dejected but this person helped make this a very positive experience. I'm not saying that you should go and give away your honey holes or even offer up your gear as this person did, but how you treat people can make a world of difference.

Good luck to everyone out there still chasing!

bp702

FNG
Thank you for sharing. I'll be chasing my first elk here in Nevada at the end of this week and I take your observations to heart.

Great to hear that you met some helpful people on your trip, who appear to have gone above and beyond!

Loper

WKR
Me and my buddies had a similar experience as first time elk hunters this year. We were also in Idaho for rifle season and weren’t able to fill out tags.

We only saw a handful of elk as well and only heard them once the whole week. I never had a huge interest in archery, but the thought of hunting them in the rut with a bow and being able to hear them more and communicAte with them has me intrigued.

We too had a very positive experience with some resident hunters and just the Idaho residents in general.

We are already thinking out our plans for next year and are trying to maintain our fitness level until then.

OP
SemperHunter

SemperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Me and my buddies had a similar experience as first time elk hunters this year. We were also in Idaho for rifle season and weren’t able to fill out tags.

We only saw a handful of elk as well and only heard them once the whole week. I never had a huge interest in archery, but the thought of hunting them in the rut with a bow and being able to hear them more and communicAte with them has me intrigued.

We too had a very positive experience with some resident hunters and just the Idaho residents in general.

We are already thinking out our plans for next year and are trying to maintain our fitness level until then.
We didn’t hear elk at all on our trip but the prospect of being there during the rut with a bunch of bugling elk sounds exciting. I’ve got a few other veteran buddies that are wanting to go for archery season so we’ll see if it happens. With the reduction of DAV tags it’ll be pretty hard to get one of those but I think we may try.

I think a lot of guys think rifle will be an advantage. I did too. But I have grown to believe archery is easier due to the rut.

Those ninja deer are hard to find...so it doesn’t matter how far you can shoot :)

“Even with doing e-scouting nothing replaces boots on the ground”

This is SOOO true for many reasons. First of all if you’ve never been in elk country at all you’re not just hunting elk. You are totally out of your element and so just getting comfortable making your way around the mountains is a big deal. When you get back home you should look at the same maps online and I bet those contour lines will mean a whole lot more since you’ve actually been there.

The other thing is learning to camp/live in the mountains. Your post really says a lot about that. All year long I read about guys deciding which tiny little high dollar tent to buy. I just shake my head and mumble to myself... “wall tent with wood stove” A rock solid home base will save you physically and mentally.

The other thing, which you touched on is that elk hunting has nothing to do with deer hunting. I’ve seen some really good deer hunters too stubborn to give up their ways crash and burn when it came to even finding an elk.

So my advice to really get a jump on a ton of things would be to go out in the summer and just camp and hike in your area. Even if you decide to hunt somewhere else it’ll do you a world of good.

To put it into perspective think about this..... if I was from Idaho and never hunted anything but elk how successful do you think I’d be at deer hunting where you live because I spent a few months e-scouting? My Rokslide post would say something like... “Those easterners laughed at my wall tent in the parking lot at their state game lands and I walked 20 miles a day but never had a shot at a nice buck.”

We didn’t hear elk at all on our trip but the prospect of being there during the rut with a bunch of bugling elk sounds exciting. I’ve got a few other veteran buddies that are wanting to go for archery season so we’ll see if it happens. With the reduction of DAV tags it’ll be pretty hard to get one of those but I think we may try.
Might want to check out some threads to calibrate what number constitutes “a bunch” of bugling elk.😂

GZeus24

Lil-Rokslider
I spent some time in September looking for deer in elk country. I plan on going back next year to find elk. What you said about boots on the ground versus digi-scouting is 100% true.

Gila

WKR
As has been stated e-scouting will get you in the ballpark. The West is vast. The herbivores here have evolved to cover many miles a day. Elk in the SW don't migrate, but they will still move 15-20 miles within a triangle in a day (every day) quite easily. Scouting is 90% of the hunt simply put. Five days hunting isn't very much time to harvest an elk in unfamiliar territory. Subtract elk hunting inexperience, not being familiar with the Rocky Mountains and altitude from the odds. Subtract some more for human activity like hunting pressure, logging, p-burns etc.

I do like the 5 day rifle seasons in a limited entry unit because there is less competition from other hunters. Here in New Mexico, on federal public lands 6% of the tags are put in a random draw for non-residents. The outfitter pool gets 10% of the tags. In units for residents only, if a unit typically has 100% success rate for 1st rifle, the success rate for 2nd archery in that unit may be 65%. Archery success is just about always less than the first rifle....for obvious reasons I would think.

In NM most residents don't view non-resident hunters as competition but as a source of revenue. This year is a tough year for non-resident business because of covid as NM requires all travellers coming into the state to self quarantine for 14 days. That may be why states with OTC like Idaho and colorado see an increase of non res hunters this season. As you found out, having a base camp with hots and a cot where a person can dry out and get warm is huge. It's a wall tent, wood stove and hot water for me. I get a kick outta these guys who boast: "my tent is lighter than yours". They get up 9,000ft, the sleet blows sideways, sand blasts their saran wrap tent down to the stakes, and then they get 6 inches of snow dumped on them. They come back and say their tent leaks, yes sir eee!

It seems almost surreal that my buddy and I got the opportunity to get out to Idaho on our first elk hunt. I definitely count myself very fortunate to have had the experience as it wasn't long ago it was only a dream I had of being able to do so. I'll cut to the chase and state that we were not able to fill our tags, but then I don't think anyone reasonably expects to be able to fill their tags on the first go around. There were certainly a lot of lessons learned and things that we would do differently if given the opportunity again. We were able to see a few but no shot opportunities were presented.

I really just wanted to state a few observations as a first timer (to experienced elk hunters some of these will be blatantly obvious).
1.) When it's stated that you need to get in shape before doing this, it can't be understated. I worked my butt off for 3 months to get in shape and was pretty easily gassed.
2.) Even with doing e-scouting, nothing replaces the boots on ground scouting, not even close. We knew there would be obvious elevation change from topo maps but were still taken back from the sheer physical presentation that we took for granted looking at maps.
3.) Coming from Missouri white tail hunting where you sit on a choke point and wait for them to pass, this was far and above different although part of my strategy still relied on this basic principle for day 1.
4.) Going into this I thought rifle hunting elk gave us a significant advantage but after 5 days of scouting and hunting and only seeing a few, I'm convinced that elk are just very large ninja deer. I'm very intrigued at the thought of trying archery elk during the rut now.
5.) I've seen a lot of residents talk about the hunting pressure from non-residents but I saw very few out of state tags where I was. I'm sure that isn't necessarily the case everywhere. I was expecting to see a lot more for sure.
6.) It was an interesting experience as a non-resident hunter. This was the first time I've hunted out of state and I certainly got a mixed bag of responses from residents. A lot of glares and non-responsive folks as I would wave driving past. I definitely chose not to dwell on this though as the positive far outweighed the negative. There were a handful of residents that offered some great advice, a friendly wave and even one that went above and beyond to help which I'll go on explain later as my closing point.
7.) Lastly, the advice and assistance that was offered by a particular individual and his friend will never be forgotten and have forever altered how I will treat non-residents hunting in my state. They offered lots of helpful advice, drove out to meet us a significant distance out of their way and even went so far as to lend us the use of his wall tent and stove when we were gritting it out in our small tents while everyone around us in the campground were in campers and wall tents. This generosity was never expected and won't soon be forgotten. Had we just gone in and hunted hard as we did with seeing as few animals as we saw it would be easy to feel pretty dejected but this person helped make this a very positive experience. I'm not saying that you should go and give away your honey holes or even offer up your gear as this person did, but how you treat people can make a world of difference.

Good luck to everyone out there still chasing!
@SemperHunter it was great meeting you guys on the hill! This is a little late, but you guys are more than welcome in my camp any time!

Wassid82

WKR
I've hunted elk for many years. What I have learned is that you need to play your cards right each and every day......then you need just a dash of luck. Looking at harvest statistics the odds are not in your favor but with a lot of hard work and just a dash a luck you get a way better chance. Often times when you don't fill tags you still get some really neat interactions. This year I didn't fill any of my tags which was humbling. Its the first time that has ever happened to me as an adult....but we had some really awesome encounters that made it all worth it.

Cmirly

FNG
This is awesome to read! Going on my first elk hunt this year in Montana and couldn't be more excited coming from Missouri also. I can't wait!

Matt R.

FNG
Gotta put boots on the groung!! One big piece of advice hunt not so obvious places!!

sneed45

FNG
I am new to rokslide and I am also going on my first western hunt for elk this fall. I relate to everything you say since I am from IL and the vast majority of my hunting being locally for whitetail. The task of going out west for the first time is definitely daunting but reading stuff like this just fuels my excitement.

Sound like you are on the track to becoming a successful Elk hunter. I can't stress enough to people that have never been out west Elk hunting that physical conditioning and shooting are critical to your success. You will be at 7 - 11 K ft and if you can't get mobile everyday you limit your opportunities significantly. It is not uncommon to hike 8-10 miles per day on an Elk hunt. Additionally this is not stand 100 yd shot territory. To mazimize your success you need to be practicing shooting out to 300yds. Elk are tough beautiful bastards that don't make it easy on you.