First youth gun advice/input/sizing

7 yr old got a Mossberg youth Patriot in .243 and 12 yr old got a Browning AB3 stalker in 6.5cm.
95bdeeb4d9a331622c106fb01e2f4aa6.jpg
31646487390db68563f4c2111e72af9f.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

WorleyElk

FNG
I went with the Savage 11 Trophy Hunter Youth LH in 7mm-08 for my 12 yr old daughter who is a lefty like me and yes Savage provides a card to get a discounted full-size stock. I found the set up very handy and light. So dad might be "borrowing" her rig
And my 10-year-old daughter got a Mossberg Patriot youth in 7mm-08 as well. I reload so I'm in the process of downloading some practice rounds they can handle this spring and summer.
The LOP on the Patriot is shorter than the Savage so YMMV. I feel the Savage is better built. And the Patriot Scope is garbage. I've upgraded both rifle scopes and rings.

@WorleyElk completely agree on the Mossberg scope put a vortex 3x9 I had on it. And with the 7yr old felt as if the 243 was enough and he still can't shoulder the rifle completely. Also I fell for the Walnut stock figured the extra weight would help him especially shooting off a bag for support.

jmez

WKR
Bought a 350 Legend for my 10 year old this fall. Ruger American rifle, compact ranch. Great little gun for kids. Very little recoil and s 180gr bullet. Just hammers deer. New caliber but definitely worth a look.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

20191228_141507.jpg
20191228_145452.jpg
These days my 12 year old son shoots my Proof TAC II in 6 Creedmoor to a 1000 yards...BUT...
I started my kids on a Remington 700 BDL in 7mm-08, then ordered an HS Precision Pro-Series ultralight stock with a 12" length of pull (LOP) for the shorter arms of my two young kids. Then had my local smith thread the barrel, I installed a 3-port muzzle brake, and a Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42 in Vortex rings. That baby is LIGHT with hardly any felt recoil. I reload so I started them on reduced loads with 120 grain bullets and have worked them up to 168 gr Berger VLDs.
I stick with Remington 700s, easily accurized and updated as necessary.

Last edited:
I really don’t see a reason to purchase a youth rifle (unless you’re talking about their first .22 or something of that nature), when they will probably be growing out of it in a short amount of time. Why not put that money towards a rifle that they can use their entire lives, and maybe even pass down to their kids. I started my son off with a standard S/S Tikka T3 Lite, chambered in 7mm-08 at the age of 12, and while it was a little on the bigger side for him, he killed a moose with it a year later, and is still using it now at 16. I don’t necessarily think it’s an heirloom rifle, but he may decide to go that route if he chooses, and the one thing I’m certain of is that, he has and will continue to use it for more than just a couple years. Anyway, just some food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 142956
View attachment 142957
These days my 12 year old son shoots my Proof TAC II in 6 Creedmoor to a 1000 yards...BUT...
I started my kids on a Remington 700 BDL in 7mm-08, then ordered an HS Precision Pro-Series ultralight stock with a 12" length of pull (LOP) for the shorter arms of my two young kids. Then had my local smith thread the barrel, I installed a 3-port muzzle brake, and a Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42 in Vortex rings. That baby is LIGHT with hardly any felt recoil. I reload so I started them on reduced loads with 120 grain bullets and have worked them up to 168 gr Berger VLDs.
I stick with Remington 700s, easily accurized and updated as necessary.

@Clownbuster what muzzle brake did you use bought my 11 yr old twins a Tikka T3 lite wanted to do the same to reduce recoil for them

@Clownbuster what muzzle brake did you use bought my 11 yr old twins a Tikka T3 lite wanted to do the same to reduce recoil for them

This muzzle break was fitted at Proof Research, so whichever one they have.
Depending on your muzzle thread size, I'd recommend either an APA Little Bastard Brake, or the Hellfire Brake from Area 419. Both can be self-timed (no gunsmith required) and are the best I've used for reducing recoil. If you want to keep weight down, you can reach out to Muzzle Brakes and More and see if he has any Titanium self-timing 3-port muzzle brakes made up for sale.

This muzzle break was fitted at Proof Research, so whichever one they have.
Depending on your muzzle thread size, I'd recommend either an APA Little Bastard Brake, or the Hellfire Brake from Area 419. Both can be self-timed (no gunsmith required) and are the best I've used for reducing recoil. If you want to keep weight down, you can reach out to Muzzle Brakes and More and see if he has any Titanium self-timing 3-port muzzle brakes made up for sale.
Thanks I'll call on Mon looks like he maked a beast of a break

mcr-85

WKR
I just chopped down a Remington 700 in .223 for my boy recently. I had a gunsmith cut the barrel to 18" and re-crown it. Then I cut around 3" off the stock. I cut part of the cheek rest off so I got the dremel out and reshaped that and hand sanded it smooth. I built a recoil pad with a 1/4" sheet of plastic and a flip flop. It doesn't look amazing but it will look a little better after some paint.

The gun fits him great right now, maybe a touch long still and his little brother will get it when he gets a little bigger. It will be easy to find another stock for when they grow out of it.

He did a little shooting on Sunday and did good with it. My goal is calling coyotes and to have him shoot a coyote this fall. media-1579482199162-Jan_19_2020_3_37_PM.jpgIMG_20200119_102841.jpgIMG_20200119_132330.jpgIMG_20200120_120713.jpgIMG_20200119_160712.jpg

Lowndes

FNG
I recently bought a Model 70 Featherweight Compact in 7mm-08 for my 8 year old. He has only shot it once so far with reduced recoil rounds but it seems to fit him well and the recoil didn't bother him. I did have a gunsmith make a few minor adjustments for him after purchase such as a better recoil pad.

My kids love their Mossberg Patriot. I also like that it comes with different butt pad extensions so they can use it forever. Heck I shoot it. It also shoots lights out. Here is a group from my ten year old.Screenshot_20200203-164631.pngMVIMG_20191009_133324_01.jpg

My kids love their Mossberg Patriot. I also like that it comes with different butt pad extensions so they can use it forever. Heck I shoot it. It also shoots lights out. Here is a group from my ten year old.View attachment 154421View attachment 154420
My kids love theirs also only difference went with the wood stock added weight helps.

PA_Probe

FNG
I started my 8yr old with some target shooting on a 223 heavy barrel. He shot his first doe with a howa mini 223 with a 64gr Nosler bonded performance handled. Bang flop. This year I moved him up to a 6.5 grendel howa mini. It has a little more pop but the gun is short and easy for him to handle, also get a Caldwell fieldpod tripod for him to shoot from. That helps him hold steady.

Shotshill

FNG
Hmmmm, lots of great youth rifles and calibers. I bought my son who a Rem model 7 243 which works great to this day. He stayed small at only 5’4”
@ age 23.. He still uses the rifle when not attached to his M4..

RogerNH

FNG
What are your thoughts on a chassis rifle for a kid? I'm looking at the Christensen Arms Modern Precision Rifle in 6.5 CM with a 22" barrel. I just bought a SilencerCo Omega 300 to keep noise and recoil down. I also like the idea of being able to mount the rifle onto a tripod.

Msowa

Lil-Rokslider
I’d look at an MDT or XLR chassis inlet for what ever bbl action you buy. Put a AR butt stock or one of their respective stocks with shorter buffer tubes...it’ll give you a legitimate chance to fit your kids LOP/comb height and it will grow with them as well.

Subsonic Trail boss loads and a silencer is pure gold for new shooters.

davidsapp

Lil-Rokslider
My 9 yo son killed his first couple whitetails this past fall with the Howa youth 6.5 Grendel. Very capable and light recoiling rifle. Also has very cheap practice ammo available.

work765

WKR
Anyone have any thoughts on an affordable way to turn my tikka 223 varmint into my 8 yr olds first rifle? Should I just cut the stock down and buy a nicer one a few years down the road when he gets bigger?
I can’t afford a XLR right now. But I love the idea of adjustability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk