Firstlite Catalyst coming unglued?

Got this jacket late in 2019 so I think I wore it once that season. Is was in my rotation with Sitka and kuiu soft shell last year so it may have seen 5-6 days of wear. Second time I wore it this year my $100 surefire flashlight disappeared out of the right side pocket.

I noticed when I took the jacket off that the bottom seam is glued to the fleece face (not sewn along the bottom) and it had come unglued About 4 inches.

I have contact FL CS and , in fairness I want to give them time to respond. however, I am curious if anyone else has had the same issue? My FL stuff has been pretty durable, apart from the kanab crotch bomb thing. I like this jacket and it is my most breathable soft shell.

EC1F212C-F079-4515-A649-BB811076A08F.jpeg

Attachments

• 4869FB7B-793A-4BC8-9DE4-1F8D42641D24.jpeg
    4869FB7B-793A-4BC8-9DE4-1F8D42641D24.jpeg
    463.3 KB · Views: 14
I havent had issues with the jacket, but had the zipper on the catalyst foundry pants come off the track. I was able to get it back on, but i cant use the zipper on the left leg

sr80

WKR
i had that bottom hem of the jacket come unglued, looks like they actually stitch it now though from your pic. I returned the jacket after that.

SeanDC

Lil-Rokslider
I have the exact same problem with mine. I was just searching to see if this was a common issue. My jacket is basically new as well.

Looks like stitching it up is going to be the solution. Probably need to do both to be safe.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Good to know, I should look at mine. I saw one in the classifieds here that a guy glued up for the same thing and I didn’t think anything of it, but sounds like it might be an issue. I do like the jacket though.

OP
Desk Jockey
you just shoot em an email? I am thinking about reaching out to them regarding my catalyst foundry pants
I went thru their warranty and repairs form on their site. Need a pic of the issue and a pic of the whole item plus your order number. Put it in over the weekend and they got back to me by Monday with the return authorization.

I have the exact same problem with mine. I was just searching to see if this was a common issue. My jacket is basically new as well.

Looks like stitching it up is going to be the solution. Probably need to do both to be safe.

Yea, looks like a design flaw. It seems like a terrible spot to rely on glue to keep the pocket in tact.

SeanDC

Lil-Rokslider
Has anybody attempted to stitch this? I started looking at mine and realized the fabric shell is a single layer. No way I can see to properly stitch it. You can actually see the adhesive strips distort the outside.20220117_175855.jpg

OP
Desk Jockey
Finally got my replacement jacket from FL. Took a month and a couple of reminder emails, but overall a pleasant process.

pocket seam is the same as my original, glued and not stitched along the bottom. Makes me wary. The last blow out cost me a nice flashlight. I could see having it sewn as @SeanDC suggests but the only way to do it would be to sew through the outer material. I guess it is near the bottom edge of the jacket so low and unlikely to cause leaks. Not sure what to do but hope FL is listening and consider a change to. Future versions.

I’ve had 3 Catalyst jackets. All 3 the right pocket came unglued lol. It taught me to never carry anything in those pockets.

EdP

WKR
It's almost inconceivable that they expected glue to hold w/o stitching. Really makes me question anything FL puts out.

OP
Desk Jockey
I’ve had 3 Catalyst jackets. All 3 the right pocket came unglued lol. It taught me to never carry anything in those pockets.

do you use chemical hand warmers In that pocket. Someone suggested that might have loosened the glue. I wasn’t using one the day I had an issue but I had used them before.

do you use chemical hand warmers In that pocket. Someone suggested that might have loosened the glue. I wasn’t using one the day I had an issue but I had used them before.
No. I’ve called first lite on this. They know this is an issue. This is why I bought my 3rd jacket because they did it’s be fixed but wasn’t. I’m just gonna wait because I’m hoping they add wind stopper this year. It’s basically the last thing they need to be more competitive with Sitka IMO.