Firstlite disappointment

*zap*

WKR
love my uncompharge jackets (2) and my pair of uncomphagre pants...sold the sanctuary set pretty fast. Some watch caps and balaclava are ok. The merino gloves are not real durable...

Noodlestheshaman

Lil-Rokslider
Messaged them about a pair of merino boxers and have yet to hear from them. Been thinning out my first lite stuff anyway...

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I have have mostly their merino stuff. It has been hit and miss. I have had good and bad luck with different t pieces. I have an older rain jacket that has been very good. My older thin merino all fell apart. Very fragile. I like my aro wool hood but I noticed my labels falling off tonight. In their defense I have had a few pieces of kuiu and sika stuff that didnt perform either.

Scott1776

FNG
As a huge Steven Rinella fan I'm bummed to hear all the woes. Was considering some of their kit but now will have to rethink it. Is there anything they make that is universally loved?

Stalker69

WKR
Bought my son a puffy jacket and the zipper broke right away also, they replaced it. And it’s sense broke again, it’s junk. ( pretty spendy junk)

CCH

WKR
Have only tried their Brook Range on sale. Perils of wi-fi access in Kodiak Thanksgiving week. Anyway, I was shocked at how little insulation it had. I still don’t know what competitor’s jacket had less fill and weighed more, but it would have to be a windshirt.

Because it was bought on sale, the return (technically they don’t take them) was a Byzantine process involving returning for a gift card and then refunding the gift card to my credit card. Customer service was great about walking me through it, but the steps were ridiculous. It is directly related to the conglomerate created as one step was to First Lite and then to the parent in Utah.

Bought a full price REI Magma for the same as the heavily discounted FL, and have so much more from a made in Vietnam jacket. 😜 Seriously, it’s a LOT better in all ways.

ljalberta

WKR
Super unimpressed with the durability of my unpronounceable jacket. Jacket came apart at the pocket seams very quickly. Was missing a shock cord clip when I received it new.

Just through normal wear the jacket largely came apart where it started at the pockets. I’ve yet to email them about it. If they do replace it under warranty I’ll be happy as it’s a nice piece of active insulation (when it’s not falling apart).

I may yet give their merino underwear a shot or the aerowool tops as I’ve heard good things about them.

JesseC

FNG
I dig their merino shirts. They're great layers, don't stink up so fast like the synthetic options, and they're far more comfortable to me.

The pants are prone to plucking if you traverse any country with thorns or brambles. I never considered their rain gear. If it's not goretex, it's a waste of time at this point.

Mtnboy

WKR
I must be in the minority. I own a ton of First Lite gear (Sitka too) and by and large I've had great luck with it.

My first Uncompaghre Jacket lasted 5 years before the zipper gave out, I took it on every hunting trip during that time and wore it for outside chores around the house every day during the winter as well. I've had zero issues with my new 2.0 after 40+ days of in the field use last year. I've had my Uncompaghre pants since the first year they came out, zero issues except some holes from campfire sparks....they easily have 200+ days in the field on them.

I'm also super happy with my Seak Rain Jacket, I did 10 days straight in November last year where it rained and snowed every day. Kept me as dry as can be expected, nothing "breathable" will stay 100% dry in those conditions. I also own the $600 Sitka Coldfront Jacket, it's not any more waterproof than the Seak.

I also own basically every base layer and set of pants they make, been happy with all of it.

I did have a pocket failure on my Catalyst Jacket (I believe someone earlier in the thread mentioned this too.) that was a little disappointing but they replaced it no questions asked.k. I haven't worn the replacement enough to see if it is also going to fail.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
I'm just upset they got rid of their 200 weight baselayers(or I can't find them). Now everything is 250+ weight which is too much for 80% of the year in the southeast.

I must be in the minority too as I've had good luck with my Firstlite stuff. I must have 40-50 days in my Corrugate Foundry pants by now and I really like them.

Eyeman

FNG
Thats too bad that you are having issues.
I am a fan of the corrugate pants. I m a larger fella with big calves and thighs so the skinny type pants dont work well for me. Also like their shirts and merino stuff.
With that said I have a mix of different companies I use. I mix up what fits and works good for me.

I'm not joining any minorities here, but I've personally had outstanding results from my First Lite gear. I sold all my KUIU completely. The FL Catalyst series and Uncompahgre over-pants were my primary wear items last September on a long Alaska hunt. I have a bunch of FL merino base layers that I dearly love. I also rate their merino boxer briefs as the best I've ever worn...period.

Buglady97

FNG
Tried out my storm tight pants yesterday and the firstlite label peels off within a couple of minutes. I bought a brooks down jacket for a friend as a gift for a favor he had done for me. I noticed tonight his label is peeling off. I'm truly embarrassed as I wanted to get him something nice. I left a message with firstlite but haven't heard back. I realize it doesn't affect the function but it just seems cheap and cheesy when the label just falls off. I would never recommend firstlite or buy another piece. I better stop because I'm just getting more angry.
Thanks for the heads-up.excel
Buy forloh. Made in America and top notch quality. Sorry about your luck with first lite. I had a pair of their pants and they were garbage.
Excellent suggestion, thanks

brianrossman1

Lil-Rokslider
I have always liked their base layers and favor those on hunts or even backpacking. I have an uncompahagre that’s going on 6 years and is still great. I bought a second to keep in my truck and did notice a difference in quality but it’s been find. Got the gf one at the same time and the pocket ripped on her first use. They sent a replacement but was shocked how easily it ripped from her just unzipping the pocket. I also have a set of storm tight pants that have held up fine.

For my money though, there’s better options and really like the quality of Sitka, top notch. Also like the Kifaru Lost Park parka, it’s the best puffy I have tried by far but is bulky which is why the uncompahgre gets more use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Sounds like First Lite is the Vortex of the clothing world from reading this thread.
Reading through this I would agree. But I have worn FL from the start. They no doubt had growing pains, zipper failures, sizing issues, and crotch blowouts. But overall I think they make some decent gear and some great gear. Aerowool is the best BL I have used. I've had the luxury to hunt a lot and wear lots of different brands, they ALL have issues in different ways.

I don't consider the logo falling off an issue unless you are an influencer or a model. HAHA!

Opening this post up again. Just got back from an archery elk in the rain for 3 out of 4 days. We still tried our best… first lite rain jacket had the seam next to zipper open up/delaminate. I don’t wear this much but bummed it failed when I needed it. Had to hustle out 3.5 miles to grab my old reliable outdoor research. Hope first lite covers it or gives a credit