Firstlite gear

Deadfall

WKR
Been using kuiu clothing. Love the stuff. My wife is just as insane about the outdoors as I am. Decided to outfit her with hunting gear from other companies. Couldnt decide what stuff to try, So this year I sent a purposely ridiculous email to all the big hunting clothing companies.
Did it mostly to check out customer service stuff. Did not really expect anyone to even reply.
To my surprise first lite responded immediately. I couldnt believe it. Not only did they respond, they had advice and suggestion to give. Found them extremely helpful. Also I recieved exactly zero responses from the other companies.
So I dropped a wad of cash got her setup from base to outer layer. We tested the hell out of the clothing. It is top notch quality gear. Have not tried the rain gear yet.

Just wondering what other people's experience with firstlite is?

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Great base layers and rain gear, think other folks make better and more options of mid and outer. Customer service is top notch, but I have had to use it a lot. Think I’ve sent back 5-6 pieces? But got replacements quickly, so there is that!

bat-cave

WKR
I have a bunch of pieces and parts from Sitka, Kuiu and FirstLite. All are very good - IMHO. A few standout items:

Kuiu's zip-off long underwear bottoms are a must have in my bag. I love being able to wear the bottoms on cold mornings (Elk season in particular) and to be able to take them off w/o having to remove my boots. You don't even notice the zippers. They are cut shorter than typical long underwear bottoms so that they don't get ticked down under socks and into the top of your boots, which feels odd at first .. totally worth it.

I outfitted my 21 year daughter in FirstLite for Elk & Whitetail this season. Her first camo that actually fits her and she loves it! I also got a setup and really like the gear, but the cut of the Sitka pants fit me a bitter better (slimmer fit). Both are really good.

First Lite's Leafy top is a game changer for me. Especially when it's hot (Archery Elk) and you really want short sleeves, but don't want to have bare white arms showing ... I use this top year-round as it's so good at breaking up your profile.

I find Sitka's gloves fit me better than Kuiu or FirstLite. All are good, but for whatever reason, the Sitka gloves just fit me better.

FirstLite is known for Merino, but I have to say that the Kuiu base layers are really good Merino and have held up well.

Got a bit of all the big 3 companies mentioned.

Love my FL merino. Base layers are the best. I got several other mid and outer layers. Their Woodbury is my favorite Whitetail stand Jacket. Wish they kept ASAT but Fusion is pretty good too.

Sitka has the best outer layers in general for active hunting and fowl weather. Jetstream jacket with pit zips and Gore, Timberline pants ++++. Their hoodies with the masks are genious. I got a bunch of their Waterfowl gear too. Stuff is so well thought out.

I have less Kuiu, mostly rain gear and mid layers. Zip off pants are awesome.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Bandit06

FNG
It’s hard to beat the first lite base layers for me. I’m still using the aerowool and it’s holding up well.

My girlfriend loved the first lite base layers. We tried a bunch of brands and their fit her best.

chops24

WKR
Glad to hear it. I had a similar experience with a jacket that i wore a ton and loved. the zipper broke and i emailed them with more of a question on how to fix it or what recommendation they had since it was a waterproof zipper, they replied immediately with "send it in we will take care of it". i had a new jacket a week later. I am not one to try and return hard used gear or look for a handout, they took great care of me without having to even ask.

I've been pretty happy with my firstlite but I'm not super in love. If the wilken had a collar I'd probably be satisfied. Not super keen on durability. And why can't all there pants have waist sizes? All tho with the guide light going that way I hope they do in 2020. And why dont the pants have vents???.
I also think they should extend the return window for new in bag items.

I wish sitka was more into merino.

So I'll check out if firstlite drops some new stuff for 2020 if not I think I'm clearing it out and going Kuiu.

Catahoula

WKR
Myself and my spouse have had much satisfaction with FL. I’ve only returned one garment that was wearing on my body funny. They sent me a new garment. Their customer service is fine with me.
We also have a couple Sitka pieces, mostly merino base layers.

Shotshill

FNG
Got lots of both FL and SITKA with Sitka as my primary outer layering and Tshirt vendor..This includes a-lot of Sitka waterfowl gear... They both are well designed; made & warrantied... I live about 30 min from the KUIU factory store and I wanted to like the product but had horrible service to none at the retail location on multiple trips and they are now off the list... Money spends everywhere... and the retail space for outer wear is a crowded one with great product.
FL and Sitka & Mystery ranch get my $$$...
Just my .02

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
I have a love & hate relationship with first lite. I have a few pieces of merino, puffy jacket,original rain pants & storm tight rain jacket. I love my puffy jacket & merino boxers but everything else I would go a different direction if I had a choice.

The hate part comes with my customer service experience. My original rain jacket chest pocket zipper delaminated & fell off. There were the storm light & storm tight that replaced my original model no longer offered. They sent me the light as the replacement. Upon receiving it, I saw that it was not even close to the original & not really a raincoat. I tried it in the NW rain one time & im still really not sure what it’s good for other than pulling out for a sprinkle on a backpack hunt. I called & explained that this didn’t work for me & we needed to do something else. They offered to send me the storm tight if I paid the price difference or give me store credit for the storm light. I nicely declined to pay more when my original failed & they replaced it with something subpar I didn’t choose to purchase. They told me tough luck basically. After several phone calls to CS & even the original vendor I purchased from for support, I was contacted by a higher up that wanted to just resolve this problem. He asked what I wanted. I told him I just wanted something that was close to what I originally had & if they couldn’t provide it give me my money back & I’d find one elsewhere. Reluctantly he agreed to give me the stormtight with no extra charge. Still have it & haven’t worn it much but I wouldn’t recommend FL raingear at all.

So for me I’ve moved on from first lite & their products. I feel like Kuiu products are superior & I’ve yet to have to use their CS. Not sure if the new ownership will change anything but for now I’ve moved on from FL.

I am a first lite fan. I bought some earlier pieces and found sizing wonky. Not as bad as Kuiu but not great. Kanabs were too skinny. Guide pants too baggy. Soft shell top was poxy and bottom felt weird due to "hatch" zipper and bib style.

CS was top notch on sizing exchanges. Only real issue I had was a Stormtight rain jacket that ripped pretty easily on the first hunt I used it. Hit some mild thorns across the shoulder and it shredded 4-5 small to mid size rips in the fabric, which leaked for the next couple of days. When I got home, I emailed them to ask about repair options. They suggested tenacious tape, which has held fine but the jacket just isn't built for abuse so it doesn't get in the field much any more.

I liked some of their wool base layers and my woodbury jacket, uncompharge and halstead were the winners of the bunch. I moved away from them in favor of sitka because I found the sizing more to my liking and the designs are a notch above FL IMO.

Based on some feedback on their newer stuff, I recently picked up some of their new solitudes and a catalyst jacket. Seems like they are upping their game on execution and design but I haven't hunted enough this year to comment on performance.

Bonus is that now that they are a Meateater company, Ole Cal is back in their marketing materials. Damn that guy is sexy.