Firstlite Kiln Hoody alternative

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys. My favourite piece of clothing is my FL Kiln hoody. It's my go to for just about everything. I want another one, but I'm in Canada and it would cost me 220$ to have that baby delivered up here north of the 49. So....what is the next closest option that you can think of? Daily use, not camo. Thanks!

dan25

Lil-Rokslider
I've been tempted to pull the trigger on a Black Ovis hoody. Does it compare and feel as nice as the Kiln? I was gonna save my money and just get the Kiln, but camofire has them for $70 today.

Aviator

WKR
I don’t have the kiln to compare but I’ve been happy with my Black Ovis

Jbxl20

WKR
I’ve looked at the the black ovis hoody a few times on camo fire. Does the black ovis sizing compare to the FL or more like Sitka. I wear medium FL but large Sitka gear?

RCL

WKR
I have two of the Black Ovis and have been very satisfied.

Jbxl20

WKR
What size and what’s you build? I’m 5’9 165lb and thinking a large would fit me but not sure

Nitsua

FNG
I can concur with the other posters regarding the black ovis hoody. 5’9 or so and run 180ish during the fall. The large is a little tight on me but the length is right. I think that the size runs similar to sitka.

B-Ridge Sledder

Lil-Rokslider
The black ovis is a little slimmer I wish it came in camo but it work great as a mid layer. Medium is tight where kiln I thought was baggy. I love mine tho. Sold my kiln. Love Klamath and a vest with hoody as the base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The difference in feel, durability, and performance between any merino shirts are going to be pretty negligible.
Fit can vary quite a lot, but that is not unique to merino.

Personally I would never pay FL retail prices for merino, it’s just too fragile. There are literally dozens of options for a 200-250 weight hoody that will cost less than a kiln and function exactly the same.

OP
Pinewood

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
I've been rocking my kiln for almost 3 years now. I wear it all the time. It is my best piece of clothing and I have found it plenty durable, thats why I want another and I just may buck up and pay for the damn thing.

Jbxl20

WKR
Pulled the trigger on the black ovis hoody. I’m 5’9” 165lbs. And I ordered an xl. Fit is comparable to a size large hooded sweatshirt. Loose but not too baggy and fits nice with a t shirt underneath. I didn’t want this next to skin and reading other reviews I think a large would have been too tight to layer under. It’s charcoal color and I don’t plan on wearing this hunting mainly as an out and about shirt.

michihunt

Lil-Rokslider
I also would suggest the black Ovis 250 hoodie. I am 6’1” 210 and have a XXL as I wanted to use this as a mid layer. Fits the bill nicely for the price in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IronM

Lil-Rokslider
I have a lot of Black Ovis merino. The 150, 200 and 250 weight. Tops and bottoms. The tops are a mix of 1/4 zip, long sleeve shirt and hoodies. I am 5' 10" and 157ish and ordered everything in medium. The one item I did not get in a medium was the 250 hoody. Their site said it ran small and to size up, so I ordered a large vs a medium and they were spot on, fits great. I have Smartwool and FL merino, and I have no issues with the Black Ovis.