Firstlite Klamath or Furnace???

In my most recent trip in late December for Arizona archery mule deer, I realized that I needed to step up my base layer game. I wore a fuse tee, kiln 1/4 zip and uncomp vest hiking around. While glassing I used the uncomp jacket for long sessions. I'm torn between furnace 1/4 zip or klamath. I tend to get pretty cold and use the furnace bottoms. Your thoughts please. Thank you.

I also have the same question lol I want both pieces but wondering which one is best all around or why someone would choose one piece over the other.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have both. I prefer the Klamath hoody as a mid layer versus the furnace. The furnace works well as a tree stand base layer for me but not as a mid layer.

The Klamath is a grid fleece where the furnace is a merino base layer. The furnace is a little heavier and doesn’t dry out quite as quickly as the Klamath does. I like having the hood option for my mid layer and love the grid fleece as the mid layer. It’s warmth to weight ratio is really good. It’s a very snug fit so size up if you plan on wearing a heavier base layer under it.

Hondo

WKR
I also like the Klamath as a mid layer over a merino base layer. It is a great piece with a high warmth to weight ratio. I generally use it over a Wick but I run hot and hunt a lot in Texas. I throw on an Uncompahgre vest or Sawtooth Hoody when needed.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
In my most recent trip in late December for Arizona archery mule deer, I realized that I needed to step up my base layer game. I wore a fuse tee, kiln 1/4 zip and uncomp vest hiking around. While glassing I used the uncomp jacket for long sessions. I'm torn between furnace 1/4 zip or klamath. I tend to get pretty cold and use the furnace bottoms. Your thoughts please. Thank you.

The Klamath will be better if your hiking with it on as it’s just not as thick and breathes better. The Furnace is thick, as you know with the bottoms. I personally wear the Klamath the most. But my GF absolutely loves the Furnace, especially in that cold weather. I would say if your going to be wanting it to use all season I would lean to the Klamath. For later season use I would lean to the furnace.

I don’t really think you can go wrong with either. The Klamath is definitely going to dry quicker than the Furnace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Klamath that I wore over a Kiln most of last season. I like the Klamath but I don't find it very warm or wind resistant. I plan to grab a Furnace before the upcoming season to try and possibly a Kuiu strongfleece or 240 to use on colder stand days.

Medic727

FNG
Alldaysports, sorry i have no inpit on your question, only a question for you. How do you like the uncompahgre jacket? Is it warm for its weight?

Rs3003

WKR
My opinion is if you run cold get the furnace. I have the furnace, it’s definitely warm. I’ll be buying another in a solid color this year. FYI buy in a green color and if you don’t like it sell it to me.

I have a Klamath that I wore over a Kiln most of last season. I like the Klamath but I don't find it very warm or wind resistant. I plan to grab a Furnace before the upcoming season to try and possibly a Kuiu strongfleece or 240 to use on colder stand days.

I have had both Klamath and strong fleece 260 both hooded. Man I love both, but the strongfleece is much warmer and more wind resistant and I like the thumb holes. Now the klamath is grid fleece so it going to breath better, so if you are planning to use it hiking a lot the klamath works better for that. Dont' get me wrong I use the strongfleece hiking all the time, but I notice a lot more sweat using the strongfleece than the klamath.

JAD915

Lil-Rokslider
Furnace, as a base layer i you're still hunting. Klamath as a mid layer if you're up and moving. I have the Furnace and wear it when I'm bow hunting. I like the Klamath over a light base layer when I'm running and gunning during turkey season.

tikka270

FNG
This was a great thread, same questions here. I think I'll settle on both, and by the sounds of it wear them together!

Last edited:

Cb750

FNG
For those of you that bought both. Does the klamath layer well over the furnace? I have a kiln hoodie now love it want a furnace QZ as a base for later in the season. But also want to be able to layer the klamath over the furnace cooler weather.

tikka270

FNG
For those of you that bought both. Does the klamath layer well over the furnace? I have a kiln hoodie now love it want a furnace QZ as a base for later in the season. But also want to be able to layer the klamath over the furnace cooler weather.
Sure does. Got my furnace last week and the first thing I did was throw a klamath over it.

Cb750

FNG
Awesome. I buy only 1 or 2 pieces a year and the zip off bottoms are tops on the list so that set up may have to wait one more year.

I appreciate the help.