FirstLite Puffy and Rain jacket Video Review...

So first things first, I used a 'free' video converter so you get that stupid watermark in the center of the video at times, hope you don't mind. Oh and the shop is a mess and obviously the acoustics aren't very good! For this reason the rain jacket appears quite a bit louder than it actually is... there is some definite noise, but it's not "potato chip bag" crinkly that is for sure.

Also, I had the waist drawstring on the rain jacket pulled up pretty tight, while I had the puffy 98% loose making the rain jacket appear shorter in length than the puffy, while in reality it is not... Just wanted to clarify that.

I would probably like to see the rain jacket a bit slimmer cut but the way it is now really lets that puffy loft and keep you as warm as possible. I think that is why the rain jacket is cute 'roomy' on purpose.

Any other questions let me know!

[video=vimeo;59610682]http://vimeo.com/59610682[/video]

https://vimeo.com/59610682

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the review. I really like the puffy jacket. However, I'm not sure I like the weight penalty.

OP
HellsCanyon
Thanks for the review. I really like the puffy jacket. However, I'm not sure I like the weight penalty.

The weight penalty is something to consider... Depending on your current insulating layer it may not be worth it to you. Coming from the Spindrift though, it's not even a contest for cold weather hunting. And compared to fleece while it's not as quiet, the warmth/weight ratio makes it more than worth it.

I am imagining I'll be packing the FirstLite this summer on scouting trips. Merino base + merino vest for daylight hours and the puffy for early morning + a pillow at night.

Mike

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Nice Video RED:) The thing I like the best about this puffy is the wind breaking ability! I will take the weight penalty for that reason alone.

Whisky

WKR
Nice Video RED:)

We got a "red beard" in da house.....Every place must have at least one. :D

Very nice video Mike. That puffy will be mine!!. If that puffy blocks wind and is somewhat breathable, it can be used for quite a bit of things IMO. Weight penalty is probably worth it to me, considering I am running fleece now. Plus, I think it will fit me a lot better than most others.

Rain jacket I'm not sure about yet. Might be a bit heavy and bulky.

Thanks for the video!!

OP
HellsCanyon
We got a "red beard" in da house.....Every place must have at least one. :D

Lmao! I always tell people that not everyone is lucky enough to have one, so you might as well rock it well! ;)
Least the girlfriend likes it... lol

Mike

Thanks for the video! A couple points. The zippers will change for the production run they were on the wrong side for the sample set. Also our stuff is sized pretty generous, for instance I am 6" 170 with long arms, pretty much the same size as Mike, and i wear medium in everything except the llano series where i wear a large so weight wise thats a consideration, also we opted to add some wear resistant panels on the arms and shoulders for off trail use. Considering the range of conditions the jackets will get you through, the weights are well within the acceptable range. Especially when you can easily drop a mid layer or light rain layer out of your kit by just packing the puffy. thanks again-Kenton

Thanks for the video! A couple points. The zippers will change for the production run they were on the wrong side for the sample set. Also our stuff is sized pretty generous, for instance I am 6" 170 with long arms, pretty much the same size as Mike, and i wear medium in everything except the llano series where i wear a large so weight wise thats a consideration, also we opted to add some wear resistant panels on the arms and shoulders for off trail use. Considering the range of conditions the jackets will get you through, the weights are well within the acceptable range. Especially when you can easily drop a mid layer or light rain layer out of your kit by just packing the puffy. thanks again-Kenton

does the puffy have any sort of dwr?

sk1

WKR
great review mike, are they as loud in person as they sound on camera? sound awful loud to me....the spindrift which im familiar with as i own one, sounded noticeably quieter

OP
HellsCanyon
great review mike, are they as loud in person as they sound on camera? sound awful loud to me....the spindrift which im familiar with as i own one, sounded noticeably quieter

Glad you liked it, this was the first gear review vid for me so I was trying to not say 'uh' too much ;)

It is not near as loud as the video makes it. As mentioned my shop is quite conducive to echos and bad acoustics. It IS louder than the spindrift, but only a tad...

Mike

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

It's also quieter than the super down that I have.

sk1

WKR
ah ok, not in the market but i was surprised they'd come out with something so loud, glad to hear its not so bad.

i really would love to get my hands on summa that super down, but not in my planned out budget for this season, just ask the wife lol.

OP
HellsCanyon
ah ok, not in the market but i was surprised they'd come out with something so loud, glad to hear its not so bad.

i really would love to get my hands on summa that super down, but not in my planned out budget for this season, just ask the wife lol.

Forgiveness... easier than permission bro ;)

Mike