Firstlite Uncompaghre 2.0 vs Sitka Kelvin Lite Review - UPDATED/MODIFIED - AEROLITE

ToolMann

WKR
So I need to modify this. When my wife and I came in yesterday, both wearing our Kelvin's, I noticed when she took her off that the inside looked different. Upon looking at the tags it became evident that I had the new Aerolite, and she has the older model "Kelvin Lite Hoody". So the following is based on an Aerolite. My fault, thought I had the Kelvin Lite Hoody. Per the Sitka site the new Aerolite is a bit less warm and a bit more durable. The inside of the Kelvin Lite is much quieter than the Aerolite as it has a different fabric. Just wanted to clear things up if you're looking at the Aerolite vs. Uncompaghre. Sort of with I had the regular Kelvin Lite instead of the Aerolite now.

As just an average hunter that buys there gear with their hard earned dollars, how items perform that I spend that money on is important. I mainly hunt my home state of Colorado in all seasons, from early archery/muzzleloader to late deer and elk. With poor circulation and Reynauds I tend to get cold, and trying to find the most efficient way to stay warm is an ongoing challenge. I've had the Uncompaghre for 2 seasons now and when I found the Kelvin lite for $150 at Scheels a few months ago, I had to pick it up and give it a try. My wife also has a Kelvin lite. I'm not a brand specific guy and wear a mix of Sitka, FL, Kuiu (gaiters) and some Cabelas stuff. As one who tries to do a lot of research before buying a product, I'm hoping a review of my thoughts on these two pieces can help someone else out in their search.

Durability
Not sure there is a winner in this category. The shell on the Unc seems a bit tougher, but I've worn both in some thick stuff you probably shouldn't wear puffy in and haven't had any snags or tears. My wife has left hers on when I've taken mine off going in to some really nasty stuff, but hers has come out unscathed every time. I'd call this one a tie.

Fit
For reference I'm 6'0" and go between 170 and 175 pounds. Small frame/bones, athletic build. For my size I seem to have an above average chest and shoulder girth. This was a problem with the Unc sizing. A medium fit great everywhere except the shoulders, binding under my armpits. Had to move up to a large which is a bit baggy everywhere else. And the lower/stomach area is sized for someone who drinks a case of Bud Heavy every night. No idea what they were thinking when designing the cut of this jacket. The Sitka Kelvin Lite on the other hand fits like a glove. Perfect proportions and cut. Sleek and just perfect. The clear winner in fit is Sitka.

Hood Design
Seems like everyone is partial to different hood designs. The Sitka jacked hood has a sleek design that is easy to put on but feels a bit restrictive. The inside material is loud and every time you turn your head it sounds like you're digging your rain gear out of your pack. The Unc hood is large, but quiet. I really like the design of the front and how it sites on the bill of my hat. It is super comfy and warm, but maybe a bit bulky for some. I'd give the win to the Unc on this one, but can completely understand thoughts to the contrary.

Packability
I love how the Unc fits in to its own pocket. But really, just shoving the Kelvin in to my pack works too. With the Sitka being smaller overall it is super easy to stash. Can't use it for a pillow, but I pack a pillow if I'm heading in to the back country anyway. Not really a clear winner here, maybe a slight edge to the Unc just for Firstlite's thinking of the pocket storage design.

Noise
While I do chase critters with stick and string sometimes, I'm primarily a rifle hunter. Jacket noise isn't a huge factor for me, but it is worth noting. The Unc is maybe a bit quieter outer shell material, but it isn't by much. I wouldn't pick one or the other based on this factor. Bow hunting I'd probably take the Kelvin as if the morning was chilly and I had to shoot wearing a jacket the fit makes string interference much less likely. But neither seem super loud to me. The inner material on the Unc is a lot quieter, but that only is noticeable to me when wearing the hoods. So, I guess a tie here.

Warmth
This is where things can get pretty subjective I guess. For me, the Unc is warmer, by a lot. I layer the same with both, FL Fuse base, Sitka Heavy Weight Hoody (my favorite piece of Sitka gear), then puffy. I've worn the Unc sitting in negative temps in the snow and stayed warm. I'm not sure if it being a larger overall jacket it allows more heat to build up inside, but I can take it to much colder temps than the Kelvin. I like the Kelvin down to the 30's or so, but beyond that, it isn't happening, and even the 30's are stretching it a bit. Both heat up well when moving, but that should be a given. Clear winner here is the unc.

Wind
Firstlite gets bashed a lot for their lack of a product with Windstopper. Neither of these pieces feature it and both manufacturers will tell you they are not designed for it. That said I don't like to carry an extra jacket if I don't need to (we'll get to that in a second). As stand alone pieces the Unc does much better at keeping wind out. Hunting in Colorado and Montana has had me in some ridiculous wind situations. I think it blew snow for 5 of 7 days in Montana last year. I kept my Sitka Jetstream in my pack the entire time and never put it on as the Unc did great. Wearing the Kelvin this year on my deer hunt here in Colorado to test it out in the wind it became evident pretty quick that a 15 mile per hour breeze was too much for this jacket, zapping any warmth I had built up. Now, this is where fit comes back in to play. I can easily put my Jetstream over my Kelvin to stop the wind. It is a great combo. But by themselves the Unc is the clear winner here.

Hopefully I covered everything. I'd be happy to answer any questions if you're on the fence about buying one of these two. For me, I'm keeping both as they both have a place for me. Earlier seasons and more mild temps I'll carry the Kelvin every time. Maybe even on day hunts/hikes if I don't mind carrying the Timberline. I'll take the combo fishing for sure, and will pack the Kelvin on back country trips especially summer backpacking. But when it gets cold I'll turn to the Unc, every time. I even wear it to work (solid color) or our and about town in the winter here. The inner fabric is super comfortable (guess I didn't do a review on that part) and a joy to wear. So, both are good, and both have their strong suits, but they are not the same.

TM

Last edited:

rideold

WKR
Thanks for the comparison. I have the older Kelvin Lite and I use it pretty heavily. I have found that the core heavyweight top with the kelvin lite and then a hard shell over the top is a pretty good combination. Sounds kind of like what you are doing with your timberline and kelvin. Interesting to hear about the difference in the noise inside the hood though. That's the one think I hate about the kelvin. I find I am always taking my hood off to listen and then putting it back on to warm back up. Can't hear a darn thing with the hood on!

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
Thanks for the comparison. I have the older Kelvin Lite and I use it pretty heavily. I have found that the core heavyweight top with the kelvin lite and then a hard shell over the top is a pretty good combination. Sounds kind of like what you are doing with your timberline and kelvin. Interesting to hear about the difference in the noise inside the hood though. That's the one think I hate about the kelvin. I find I am always taking my hood off to listen and then putting it back on to warm back up. Can't hear a darn thing with the hood on!
I think a wind proof shell of some sort is a must have with the Kelvin. Just today I grabbed the Under Armour Gore windstopper soft shell on Sportsmans black Friday sale for my wife (she's a fan of the pattern 😁). Seems somewhat similar to the Jetstream at a much cheaper price. If Sitka could put a little softer material inside the Kelvin hood it would help, but probably at a slightly higher weight value which may not fit their mold, which I understand too.

Last edited:

TX4ever

Lil-Rokslider
About your same size and medium unc was pretty snug. Did you go medium or large on the aerolite?

bozeman

WKR
core hoody (lightweight to heavyweight as weather changes), aerolite jacket, windproof shell..........hard to beat...