FIRSTLITE

tthrasher

FNG
This is for people who wear mostly firstlite

What is your Go To Whitetail setup for rut season through late season, talking temps between 20 - 40

Drenalin

WKR
I did ok this year with a Llano base, Chama hoodie, Carhartt Gilliam, and a Halstead over top of that. I was hiking in 1-1.5 miles, then throwing on the Gilliam and Halstead as soon as I stopped moving. This got me by for around 3 hours in a little wind (~15 mph) and temps hovering around freezing. I was surprised it worked as well as it did, but I could certainly use a more wind-resistant layer in there. I just updated to some of FL's newer stuff because those older items are wearing out. I expect the Fuse + Kiln + Sawtooth + Uncompahgre to work significantly better. I'll probably be rocking a Cabela's fleece since I've got a few of them, and the Walmart Wrangler pants.

I know most whitetail hunters will say to get a Woodbury, Solitude, or Sanctuary, but for me a layering system still works best as I only have the patience to stay in one spot for about 3 hours before I'm up either scouting or relocating. If I'm planning to sit all day, I'll stuff handwarmers in there somewhere, or slap on one of those back pads that heats up.

I just bought the sanctuary set for last fall. It’s only good for below 35 and you have to carry it to the stand if you walk far at all! Or you’ll be a pool in sweat 😓

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I just bought the sanctuary set for last fall. It’s only good for below 35 and you have to carry it to the stand if you walk far at all! Or you’ll be a pool in sweat 😓

Can confirm. I wore the sanctuary bibs and jacket over the furnace top and bottom base layer with a sawtooth vest over the top base layer. It was only half a mile to the tree but I was sweating my ass off in -15 F in Northern Minnesota this season.

It was awesome for sitting still in those ridiculously early cold snap temps, but don’t use this set unless you really really want to be warm.

A better suited first lite set up for those temps OP mentioned would be the solitude. Or go with a heavy layering system using the catalyst set up. If you have any wind at all in the colder temps you need significant layering with the catalyst.

Merino base for sure from early to late season.
I mix and match mid layers from several sources but from FL hooded chama to the Uncompagre puffy vest.
I use the either the Sanctuary bibs for below zero or older North Branch above zero.
Woodbury Jacket I use most the time. Unless it's crazy cold, than I break out the Sanctuary Jacket.

As others said, Sanctuary series is too warm to walk to the stand in!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Jdhunttrapfish

Lil-Rokslider
Sanctuary is very nice, I have sat all day in the temps you mentioned, I usually wear a couple layers underneath if it gets real cold and windy, the base layers are awesome, I wear them from start to end of season

woodson

FNG
Furnace QZ top and matching bottoms as base layer. Chama Hoody. Uncompaghre Jacket on top. I wear Under Armor Patrol pants if it is 40-50 degrees.

If it is under 40 I wear Furnace top and bottoms, and then actually wear Under Armour bibs and jacket or Uncompaghre jacket depending on if I will be active or just sitting in a stand.

Mitten32

WKR
Feet- Their new Merino cold weather socks

Head and hands - for bow hunting it's the tag cuff beanie, and merino neck gator. For gun hunting it's always the wind river balaclava that thing is money. I wear their fingerless gloves on just about every hunt I go on.

Bottoms- Furnace bottoms and sanctuary bibs for anything 30 and below. If above 30 I go with their lighter weight leggings and solitude bibs

Top- their merino wool short sleeve, over that goes the Klamath hoodie, and then either the solitude or sanctuary jacket. I'll throw the uncompadre vest over the Klamath hoodie if it's brutally cold out.

Hope this helps.

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a used woodbury jacket, I watched a video of the drop of this years line and that jacket can do the job of both the solitude and sanctuary if dressed down/up. I would look for one of those coats then pick either of the bibs based on your length of walk in, most common temps, and how you deal with cold.

That jacket was a game changer even with the hodge podge of my other layers.

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
I have the solitude bibs and jacket, furnace base bottom layer and furnace quarter zip top and kiln top. I haven't worn the jacket yet as I haven't needed it per se when I got in stand. One hunt wind was getting me pretty good. This was up Inna stand with 20 mph wind at 45 degrees. Hit pretty chilly. Just my torso cause I just had the two layers up top. I really love the bibs. Jacket haven't had much experience with it. Wish it was little less bulky. I'm kinda looking at maybe purchasing a kuiu light weight wind jacket to wear with the bibs on hunts where the temp isn't crazy but wind is blowing good. Or the sawtooth jacket not sure about it though

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
Can confirm. I wore the sanctuary bibs and jacket over the furnace top and bottom base layer with a sawtooth vest over the top base layer. It was only half a mile to the tree but I was sweating my ass off in -15 F in Northern Minnesota this season.

It was awesome for sitting still in those ridiculously early cold snap temps, but don’t use this set unless you really really want to be warm.

A better suited first lite set up for those temps OP mentioned would be the solitude. Or go with a heavy layering system using the catalyst set up. If you have any wind at all in the colder temps you need significant layering with the catalyst.
Can u read my previous post and help me out? I'm also planning on adding either some kuiu pants or obsidian pants not sure which

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have the solitude bibs and jacket, furnace base bottom layer and furnace quarter zip top and kiln top. I haven't worn the jacket yet as I haven't needed it per se when I got in stand. One hunt wind was getting me pretty good. This was up Inna stand with 20 mph wind at 45 degrees. Hit pretty chilly. Just my torso cause I just had the two layers up top. I really love the bibs. Jacket haven't had much experience with it. Wish it was little less bulky. I'm kinda looking at maybe purchasing a kuiu light weight wind jacket to wear with the bibs on hunts where the temp isn't crazy but wind is blowing good. Or the sawtooth jacket not sure about it though

The sawtooth isn’t a great wind breaking piece by itself but it’s a nice tight fitting mid layer that goes well under other pieces.

I don’t have any experience with the Kuiu wind jacket.

The solitude jacket is a little heavy for 40s and wind for me like you mentioned.

With your current kit and the temps you mentioned I would go with the following set up in those temps and winds in a tree stand.

Furnace Top and Bottom
Sawtooth Vest
Solitude Bibs
Catalyst Jacket
Wind River Balaclava

That would be a really good setup for 30s all the way to low 50s for me since I could quietly take the catalyst off if needed. Neither the Catalyst nor the Sawtooth cut wind super well, but with them combined over the furnace and bibs it will keep you nice and toasty stationary. I like the vest under the catalyst since the sleeves are so tight on that jacket. Go a size up on the catalyst 100%.

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you. I have tundra balaclava. I love that thing for sure! I'll look into that soft shell. U have obsidian Merino pants?

Outlaw99

WKR
Sanctuary bibs and coat have suited me very well for anything 30 to -30 windchill. That’s with maybe a couple base layers underneath. I wear my sawtooth as a base layer through out the whole season. As others stated, you don’t want to walk very far in them. I’ve never been cold while wearing them.

HunterEng

FNG
In iowa. I wear base layer. Klamath. Sitka jetstream vest. Solitude top. Bottoms merino base layer. Full calf length socks. And sanctuary bins. I haven't had much problems over heating during the walk...I have the zips open on the bibs and I am carrying the solitude in my pack. Vest and klamath unzipped to dump heat. I have done this is 20degree to minus 5. Now I dont sit longer than 4 hrs max usually

As other have said...sanctuary set. Leave zips open during walk in and you’ll be fine w not sweating. Throw some merino unders on and you’re good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Thank you. I have tundra balaclava. I love that thing for sure! I'll look into that soft shell. U have obsidian Merino pants?

Yep. Those pants are an awesome piece. Very versatile. Not the most durable but work really well for a lot of what I do. They are much more of a mountain and spot and stalk pant for me.

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider
This past season in those temps, I wore the Solitude bibs paired with the Fuse and Furance baselayers and on top I wore a Kiln, Furnace, Brooks Down and Solitude Jacket. That was a solid set up for me and kept me in the stand all day. I never once felt the wind and I was toasty. It sounds like a lot of layers, but I sized them appropriately to allow me ease of movement.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
How low of temps can you wear the Obsidians with a warm baselayer?