Fish Cooking in the Backcountry

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
Tin foil with olive oil, salt, and pepper in the fire is tasty. If you don't want to use fire, It's also really good using an MSR quick skillet or similar fry pan on top of a backpacking stove using the same ingredients. I've done the whole stick over fire thing and prefer the other two methods. Keeps things juicier and more flavorful.

really great thread before this post
Thank you for the great tips, I think that I will apply them and they are very relevant because I love fish and cook it almost every weekend. Last month, I managed to cook exactly the trout that I have long dreamed of. This recipe was left to me from my grandmother who worked almost all her life in a restaurant. She often told me about her work and advised me cookwarestuffs.com which has quite interesting articles about kitchen accessories and appliances. Now cooking is much easier and the food is twice as delicious

Rokbar

WKR
I got one of the old cold handle frying pans. Their light to pack depending on size. I believe mine is a 10 in. Bring some oil, cornmeal, and favorite seasoning. An onion always helps. A small fire is all you need. I'm not really a trout eater, but after fishing all day I can eat a limit of trout!

My go to is to pack in a lemon and one of those cheap 5 or 6 spice shakers from Walmart. Stop by KFC on the way out of town and grab some packets of butter. Peel skin off the trout (just break the neck and push the head down their back). Lay down a layer of sliced lemon, butterfly trout and squeeze butter onto each one. Shake whatever combo of spices your want. Wrap in foil and throw in the coals. As an added bonus pack in an onion, peel it and slice it up like you would a blooming onion. Squeeze a couple of the KFC butter packs down into the slices. Wrap in tin foil and into the coals about the time you start prepping the fish. We like to simplify things by having F.I.S.H. in the back country
F. Fish (obviously)
I. Idaho instant potatoes
S. Side (like the onion or anything you prefer)
H. Hard liquor

light packs are for wimps, lol