Fishing and Packing Heat

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
To all the fisherman out there, who all packs heat? Let's see what guns everyone carries while fishing. Let's see rigs with waders on or without. Name your state and targeted species and give us an idea of why you're packing. Pics are welcome. Here's my setup as of today.

Gun: Glock 20, 10mm. Just about as much firepower as I can carry in handgun. 16 rounds of Hornady 180gr hollow points. 30 rounds of Sig and Sellier and Bellot 180gr FMJs for backup. 46 rounds total. Just about as good as you can get in my opinion.

Setup: An old revolver hip holster that actually fits my Glock great for when I'm not wearing waders. When I am wearing waders, I keep the Glock in the back pouch of my shoulder pack. But it gets pretty heavy on my neck, so I might look for a lighter gun or just start carrying my LCP2. My setup isn't great because I'm in college and on a budget so I make what I have work, I'll improve it one day.

State: Mostly western Pennsylvania, sometimes central. Fishing small streams for native brookies and wild browns. Do my fair share of fishing stocked areas as well. We get into some areas that are pretty far out there (for Eastern standards). No cell service, many miles from nearest law enforcement. So if anything goes wrong, you better have the right equipment to get out of a sticky situation. Not too worried about the many black bears in our state, but still I always like to have enough gun for the worst situation. More worried about druggies, that kinda thing. We're on enough back roads and trails that we have encountered some shady people from time to time.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I can’t really post pics on rokslide for whatever reason but I have a rotation of handguns for when I’m hiking, fishing etc.

Glock 20
SW 625 mountain gun
Ruger redhawk 44mag.

I’m always packing when I’m fishing. I also always have a camp firearm in camp. A little riot 12 gauge pump, stainless steel synthetic Mossberg with 3” slugs is always in camp, unless it’s on my back. If I’m not carrying the shotgun, I’m carrying a S&W .500 in a chest holster. Fortunately, I’ve never had to use them while fishing, but better safe than ??
624acd6b2a016f915039976494c3f199.jpg

b1466ce07bb16440b3e53d44b583ab87.jpg

17875203ea12ec83bbac9f9f8418c993.jpg

Now that I’m looking at the pictures, I just realized that I’ve been packing that damn Mossburg around now for over 25 years, and I’ve only used it once to scare off a brown bear. So....maybe I’m a dumb ass, but stupid is as stupid does, and i guess I’ll continue to carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
applepie_eli

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
I’m always packing when I’m fishing. I also always have a camp firearm in camp. A little riot 12 gauge pump, stainless steel synthetic Mossberg with 3” slugs is always in camp, unless it’s on my back. If I’m not carrying the shotgun, I’m carrying a S&W .500 in a chest holster. Fortunately, I’ve never had to use them while fishing, but better safe than ??
624acd6b2a016f915039976494c3f199.jpg

b1466ce07bb16440b3e53d44b583ab87.jpg

17875203ea12ec83bbac9f9f8418c993.jpg

Now that I’m looking at the pictures, I just realized that I’ve been packing that ******* Mossburg around now do over 25 years, and I’ve only used it once to scare off a brown bear. So....maybe I’m a dumb ass, but stupid is as stupid does, and i guess I’ll continue to carry.

That's awesome. Maybe that one time you scared off the bear was worth the 25 years of carrying it and not using it. If nothing else, it looks cool lol. Nice fish by the way!

OP
applepie_eli

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Hard to imagine going Black on ammo fishing stocked streams in Punxy....stay frosty out there!

Lol I try to stay away from the stocked streams around home. I'll fish the ones right around my house just for nostalgia due to fishing them in my childhood. But I do most of my fishing on a creek that holds natives pretty far back in some gamelands about 20 minutes from my home which is 15 minutes from Punxsy. But Potter, Elk, Clearfield, and Forest County is where I enjoy going the most. Quite a bit more secluded up that way. Nothing like the places I've been in Wyoming and Montana as far as feeling like you're in the wild, but it's better than nothing.

Phaseolus

WKR
My fishing is in Colorado so I have no need to pack. If I go to Grizz country I would be,

*zap*

WKR
There is no downside to always being able to defend your well being since the bad people who would do you harm do not call ahead to make an appointment.

ridgerunner22

Lil-Rokslider
Don't really ever pack heat but not a terrible idea is some more remote and sketchy spots. Definitely doesn't hurt to have one

I usually take a kahr PM9 and an extra mag. Fits in the front wader pocket perfectly. East to get to fast. I'm in Michigan. No bears to worry about. Just drunks if I'm fishing popular areas and meth labs if I'm way off the beaten path.

One thing I'll add is you're just carrying extra weight for no reason if you cant get to the gun quickly. It does you no good in a backpack or stuffed way down in your waders.

When I go to certain areas that used to be bear sanctuaries, I pack a judge loaded with .410 gauge slugs and 00 ought buck. Those bears simply have little fear of humans.

I made the mistake of taking my wife and kids in there once with no firearm. We camped in a beautiful spot, followed all the precautions, but still had a bear come in around 9 pm pillaging. It was a smaller bear. But, it kept coming back even after giving up the food. I ended up building a huge fire and set up all night throwing things at it when it’d try to come back in. It was a long night. And one I promised would never happen again without a gun. So, I pack heat when in there now. Never had another negative encounter either. But, as soon as I don’t, I’ll wish I had it again.

AKDoc

WKR
In thirty years of living in Alaska, and actively hunting and fishing, I've gone from a 44mag with 300grn hardcast/gas checks to a 454 Casull with 360grn hardcast/gas checks (both handloads). Last year I went to a Glock-20 (gen-4) with 220grn hardcasts (Buffalo-bore)...shoulder rig holster.

I've had bears around me numerous times...all pretty well behaved. Last fall, I got bluff-charged by an adolescent grizzly from 15 yds to 8 or 9. When it stopped, I fired at the ground in front of the grizz...and I've got tell you that 10mm sounded pretty puny at that moment. The bear didn't flinch, but instead huffed at me for a second and then turned and ran off...I was starting to pull the trigger when he turned away. I'm still going to carry that G-20...it's much more comfortable to carry than my other rigs...and 15 rounds in the magazine is real nice.

In thirty years of living in Alaska, and actively hunting and fishing, I've gone from a 44mag with 300grn hardcast/gas checks to a 454 Casull with 360grn hardcast/gas checks (both handloads). Last year I went to a Glock-20 (gen-4) with 220grn hardcasts (Buffalo-bore)...shoulder rig holster.

I've had bears around me numerous times...all pretty well behaved. Last fall, I got bluff-charged by an adolescent grizzly from 15 yds to 8 or 9. When it stopped, I fired at the ground in front of the grizz...and I've got tell you that 10mm sounded pretty puny at that moment. The bear didn't flinch, but instead huffed at me for a second and then turned and ran off...I was starting to pull the trigger when he turned away. I'm still going to carry that G-20...it's much more comfortable to carry than my other rigs...and 15 rounds in the magazine is real nice.

I’m in the same boat. Glock 20 is what I changed too. Probably don’t need it when I have a rifle.

What chest rig you like? My diamond d is nice!

bbrown

WKR
I almost always carry just because I can. Plus I usually have my little fishing buddy and wife along with me and would feel pretty stupid if I ever needed it and didn't have it.

Big fan of the HPG Snubby Kit bag in the "Original" pattern. Fits my Glock 30SF and my Glock 20SF although its a bit tight. Makes for a great minimalist fishing gear bag and keeps the pistol right at hand. Mine has been all over CO and WY and even a couple trips up to AK.
IMG_4612.JPG
image1.JPGIMG_1226.JPGIMG_5933.JPGIMG_6634.JPG

Reactions: dla