Fishing Boats, Let's See Um!

View attachment 302501
Here is my Davis. I run it for salmon, albacore, Rockies, crab and halibut out of nor cal, mostly Bodega. The ocean and fishing off this boat is what keeps me from leaving this hellhole communist state.
Davis are badass boats, and that’s a really nice one! Not many people know how seaworthy those boats are. I dove on a 32’ radon for 16yrs here in OR and AK… radon hulls are one of the best designs for small boats in big seas.

I have always thought a Davis are the nicest sport boats on the west coast

That looks like a sweet little setup! Who makes the hull, dimensions, and is that a 60/40 Merc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Challenger marine is the builder, they were out of gold beach. They didn’t make a ton of sport boats, they made a bunch of the charter jet boats for the Rogue river.

dimensions are 14’, full 60” floor, and 7’ wide. I love that little boat, and there would be no way to get a similar boat without talking a builder into a full custom one of a kind build. It is a 40/60… it had a yamaha 50hp jet on it when I got the boat, it was a 94 or 95’ but I didn’t have a real need for a pump, and those older 2 stroke jets are just obnoxious… I put a new Yamaha 25hp prop on it and that suited my needs until we bought our house on the south coast.

it’s a heavy duty little boat, and it’s a perfect little coast boat, especially since I fish solo a lot. It’s all heavy gauge aluminum, built just like their big boats… it’s the only one I have seen in those dimensions, the few other challengers were 16’ and not as wide, and not setup as well, they were built as rental boats on the Rogue and all had bench seats… I like the open floor a lot more

Challenger marine is the builder, they were out of gold beach. They didn’t make a ton of sport boats, they made a bunch of the charter jet boats for the Rogue river.

dimensions are 14’, full 60” floor, and 7’ wide. I love that little boat, and there would be no way to get a similar boat without talking a builder into a full custom one of a kind build. It is a 40/60… it had a yamaha 50hp jet on it when I got the boat, it was a 94 or 95’ but I didn’t have a real need for a pump, and those older 2 stroke jets are just obnoxious… I put a new Yamaha 25hp prop on it and that suited my needs until we bought our house on the south coast.

it’s a heavy duty little boat, and it’s a perfect little coast boat, especially since I fish solo a lot. It’s all heavy gauge aluminum, built just like their big boats… it’s the only one I have seen in those dimensions, the few other challengers were 16’ and not as wide, and not setup as well, they were built as rental boats on the Rogue and all had bench seats… I like the open floor a lot more
Never heard of Challenger Marine, but there are definitely a lot of great boat builders down in your neck of the woods. Willie, Koffler, and one of my favorites Motion Marine, to name a few.

chinook907

Lil-Rokslider
I don't own it, but I do spend about a third of my year on it.

Sure beats a tent...

M4xHfZE.jpg
Josh I'm hopeful that my up top bedroom has been maintained appropriately ha ha.

OP
Idaho4x4Bronco
Question for those who know a lot about boats.

For someone looking to buy their first boat, brand new as well or slightly used from a dealership, what would you look for as far as HP and features in a 16-17ft aluminum open bow?

Used only for fishing, maybe pulling a 150lb person on a tube rarely.

Cheers, happy friday folks!

Moserkr

WKR

For someone looking to buy their first boat, brand new as well or slightly used from a dealership, what would you look for as far as HP and features in a 16-17ft aluminum open bow?

Im sure there are guys who know more, but ive been rebuilding an old boat from the bare hull up for the last year so I guess Im slightly qualified lol.

Depends on your goals for use, but it sounds more like a lake boat vs ocean/river. Different tools, different trades. You have welded vs rivets - id prefer welded, as im restoring a riveted boat. Tracker boats tend to crack welds though - beware they have a lifetime warranty, like vortex, for a reason. 16-17ft, a 90hp outboard on an aluminum hull will take you places fast enough and have more than enough power to pull a tuber. A 60hp would be minimal but probably be able to get the job done. A 115, if the boat could handle it, would fly. 4 stroke, merc, honda, or yama. Newer the better. Outboards are less maintenance than inboards, especially for winter, and if you want to fish in cold seasons.

Features I would want: minnkota with spot lock. A small kicker gas motor tied to the steering and possibly ipilot controls for trolling. Those are $$ and can be added later. All downriggers and rod holders on tracks. Ski locker, rod storage, minimum 20 gal gas tank for range. I put a 19 in mine. Deep V hull, and depending if you want to go out in adverse conditions, a bimini that attaches to the windshield. Open bow will have a place for wife/kids to relax in the sun.

That all being said, I chose to rebuild a boat older than me, a 1979 starcraft ss160 with an older ‘83 2-stroke 75hp johnson. I can go 30mph on gps. Im $4500 into it including some new tools, and own it outright. No payments. I also know every inch, rivet, and bolt in it. All that with minimal mechanical knowledge. I can always repower with a brand new motor too and still be well under a new/newer used boat price. Half of all boat’s costs are the motor and that should be primary concern. Secondary is the hull manufacturer - are they reputable? Everything else can and probably will be replaced at some point. Interiors go to shit in 5-10 years unless meticulously cared for and stored indoors. Built right, sealed wood floors and transoms should last 20-40 years depending on use. Always cover your boat constantly when not in use no matter what.

The technology used to build new boats is light years ahead of when mine was built. But the basics are still the same. Wasnt hard to bring her up to 21st century standards.

Find a boat thats unmolested - not a bunch of holes drilled all over it. Motor is clean. Interior well kept. Look for rust (mixing bad metals with aluminum is a red flag) and be weary of electrolysis - check the sacrificial anodes - are they eaten away or look new. They are there for a reason. Also check compression on the motor and preferably test drive the boat ON the water. The motors can act way different on muffs on land than in water under load and pressure. Search forums and check with people here if you have any concerns before buying. People say the best days are the day you buy n sell a boat. I disagree and ive thrown plenty of money into a hole in the water. The amount of fun ive had with my family and the future trips planned makes it all worth it. Im just willing to put elbow grease into the boat to keep it running - even a new boat will need some of that, its a boat... Some people arent and there are deals to be had because of that. Off to rebuild carbs now…. Id love a brand new fuel injected 90hp merc right about now lol.

Moserkr

WKR
First boat I owned for 3 years, outgrew it, sold for a few bucks more than I paid more it.
5F8006FC-854D-425B-BF9E-803135494510.jpeg
9DD9FE88-DF49-435B-A300-91C00A319B1D.jpeg

Boat Im rebuilding - before shot.
741EB5AD-D46E-4BB2-8FE4-9016C9AB062F.jpeg

During the resto:
CFC6BA52-C4FC-4D64-909C-0045F29A270B.jpeg

As she sits now, water worthy but not done yet.
4BBC7E3C-CDD9-4930-B800-E8A4F7541B2C.jpeg
23055CA0-5570-43BD-9B51-54B93C8B675E.jpeg862AD9A6-3766-489E-ABBB-D9AC1F3AA7DC.jpeg

Shes damn near a new boat. Still building the seats for the bow and a rear bench. All new paint, floors, damn near everything important. Plenty to be done making it clean as far as wires, fuel lines, and trim goes. Work in progress. But im stoked, shes mine and built in my vision to my standards. Aluminum hulls are a blank canvas if you tear em down and rebuild em. Plan on passing mine on to my son once hes old enough and I upgrade to the next, bigger hole in the water.

Just for comparison sake, I have an 18 foot Lowe aluminum bass boat. It has a 90 horse Johnson 2 stroke on it and it will run 40 mph with two guys in it. I have pulled my two teenage boys on a tube together with no issues and throttle to spare. They are 150 & 180 pounds.