Fishing Charters on Kauai - Late November

PhillyB

WKR
Hello everyone-
I am headed to Kauai in late November for a family vacation and plan to do some fishing while we are there. I've never been deep-sea fishing and am really looking forward to it.

I was hoping some folks might have recommendations on different charters they have used. There will be five of us going (two adults and three kids).

We are open to any suggestions or recommendations.

Thanks.

JFK

WKR
Chartering a boat in Hawaii (any of the islands) is a rip off. They are commercial boats, so they keep the fish you catch, they use ridiculously heavy gear to catch 20lb fish and charge an arm and a leg. I’ve been to Kauai twice and always pass on fishing.

OP
PhillyB

PhillyB

WKR
Chartering a boat in Hawaii (any of the islands) is a rip off. They are commercial boats, so they keep the fish you catch, they use ridiculously heavy gear to catch 20lb fish and charge an arm and a leg. I’ve been to Kauai twice and always pass on fishing.
@JFK I wondered about that.

The catch n keep policy on their websites caught me by surprise.

I was hoping someone knew about a company that wasn’t commercial and offered a better experience.

Last edited:

JFK

WKR
@JFK I wondered about that.

The catch n keep policy on their websites caught me by surprise.

I was hoping someone knew about a company that wasn’t commercial and offered a better experience.

There definitely could be, but I can’t offer any advice since I’ve never fished over there. It would likely be a smaller operation. I have a buddy that was a mate on one of the boats over on Maui and he told the charters just do it to get fuel paid for to subsidize their commercial operation. They fished the heavy gear exclusively and paying passengers would essentially be used to winch in the fish. It’s just the way they do things over there.

If you guys are coming from the east you could get on a boat out of San Diego. First class operations and better fishing.

save your money in Hawaii. For half the price you could fly to San Diego, fish multiple days, catch a butt ton more fish and ... get this... actually keep your fish.

yfarm

WKR
Fished Kona a couple of years ago, Captain had been fishing there forever. Asked about other islands, said don’t bother. Early in his charter career, worked on Oahu and flew to Kona every Thurs to fish the weekend. Other commenters are correct, used 130 class tackle to catch 60-80lb spearfish just in case a grander hit. The concept of light tackle pitchbaiting teaser raised fish is nonexistent.