Fishing in Montana

Hey western fly fisherman. Im headed to montana and wyoming this summer (July) Staying in Cook City, and somewhere in idaho close to the wyoming yellowstone NW entrance.

what fishing tackle would you recommend. Ive fished few years ago with spinning tackle and rooster tails and had good luck on the Gallatin river. I may take a fly rod this summer but what weight would anyone recommend? I have a 5,6 weight and an 8 but assuming 8 is no bueno.

will hit some lakes in addition to rivers. Not sure if ill wade or not, depends on how much i pack.

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
I fly-fished the areas near Cook City and Cody on two separate trips last summer. Both times, I used a fast action 9’ 5 weight and it was plenty of rod. I was able to sling double nymph rigs and dry-droppers all day. You might want to pack the 6 weight in addition in case you want to sling some streamers or if it’s too windy. If you are staying near cook city, I can definitely recommend hiking into slough creek and fishing. We had a great time during hopper season and caught some very large cutties. Soda butte creek, Pebble Creek and the Lamar River are also close by and I enjoyed fishing all of those streams.

Wapiti1

WKR
4 to 6 weight is about right. If you fish the larger rivers or lakes an 8 isn't out of the question on windy days. That is my go to rod on the Missouri.

Anything larger than the Lamar or Gallatin and you'll probably want a 6 weight, but a 5 will get you by.

A call to Dan Bailey's in Livingston will get you info on what's what when you get there.

Jeremy

Agreed with everyone else: you will do fine with your 5 and 6 weight. Visit a local shop, bring a 6 pack for the guys there, buy a couple flies, and ask for advice about specific patterns that are doing well. The shops always appreciate some beer and a chit chat with a friendly visitor.

Bonus: I did just this at a shop and was offered some brand new (but last season) Simms waders and boots for a ridiculous price. One of the employees didn't want them and they offered it to me. Have fun, fly fishing in Montana changed my life.

Edited to add: It may be beneficial to book some time with a pro to help with your cast before your trip. MT will be windy. Then you would have plenty of time before summer to practice in your yard. My home state fishing was different than in MT. Fly fishing in Virginia is on small water for (usually) small trout. I never threw streamers or dealt with crazy wind until I started fishing out west.

Last edited:
OP
540-Virginian
Agreed with everyone else: you will do fine with your 5 and 6 weight. Visit a local shop, bring a 6 pack for the guys there, buy a couple flies, and ask for advice about specific patterns that are doing well. The shops always appreciate some beer and a chit chat with a friendly visitor.

Bonus: I did just this at a shop and was offered some brand new (but last season) Simms waders and boots for a ridiculous price. One of the employees didn't want them and they offered it to me. Have fun, fly fishing in Montana changed my life.

Edited to add: It may be beneficial to book some time with a pro to help with your cast before your trip. MT will be windy. Then you would have plenty of time before summer to practice in your yard. My home state fishing was different than in MT. Fly fishing in Virginia is on small water for (usually) small trout. I never threw streamers or dealt with crazy wind until I started fishing out west.

thanks for info and tip. I primarily fish smallmouth or largemouth on pretty big open waters using my 7 or 8 weight and fat streamers. But the wind comment is interesting. I fished the Madison 2-3 years in ago in July and it was hot and dry with no wind. Guess i got lucky lol.

I just realized we're both from VA. I lived in NoVA for a long time and just moved to MT from Front Royal. It sounds like your well adjusted to wind so that's good. It can be dead calm and then gusty in the span of 10 mins.

I was always the trout hunter back home in VA while everyone else was fishing for small/large mouth, that's probably why they kicked me out of the state! ha.

WCB

WKR
5/6 will work just fine. I fish Montana every year multiple times since 2008 from small spring creeks to the Yellowstone, Bighorn, Missouri. I almost exclusively used a 4 wt until a couple years ago and have had zero issues. I went to a six weight obviously if on about indicator (bobber) fishing.

July and August I love throwing big ugly dry flies. Mornings and evenings the typical BWO type patterns, mosquitos, maybe drop a lightning bug off the back.

Mt Al

WKR
Any of them will work fine but I'd do the 5/6 if I had to choose. As above, Slough creek, etc, can be awesome. When I was a wee lad I'd take my cheap fly rod and spinner to the lakes outside of Cooke City or Red Lodge and knock them dead. Windy? Cast pretty much anything. No wind? Cast dries and drag nymphs from your fly rod. It may be too much for a day hike (I think it is!) but Lower Arrow Lake was an awesome place to catch a ton of fish. My dad even hauled up a small vinyl inflatable raft for me and my brother "packraft before it was cool" and we floated out and fished from it - and caught the same amount of fish we'd have caught from shore.

I think the bottom line for fish in the high country is that they're hungry all the time.

Post pics this fall!