Fishing in the Florida Everglades

zacattack

WKR
So my wife has been asking me what I want to do for my 40th birthday. Well, I’ve been thinking about going fishing down in the Everglades. A friend down there has a bass boat we can use.

I know the Everglades is massive apart from bass I’d like to fish for some others like snook, redfish, maybe tarpon. It’ll be in January so if I read correctly a lot of seasons will be open? Anybody fished down there and have any tips or should I just hire some guides?

11boo

WKR
I nearly had to spend the night in there going on our own in a 19’ center console.

got stuck in the flats when the tide went out like 2’.

probably no Tarpon in the winter, but snook/reds/trout are a blast. We stayed in Everglades city, The rod and gun. I would hire a guide, but if I ever get back down there I’ll try the kayak fishing.

F87A9A3B-985F-4BC2-8760-349C230918B9.jpeg

Austink47

WKR
I fished out of Everglades city a few times. Did all of my fishing out of a kayak. I went out with a guide the fist day and he lined me out with areas I could fish on my own the rest of the time. Local knowledge is priceless, everything looks fishy, but precious little actually holds fish. Areas are also super tide dependent. Do some home work on the Calusa, very interesting history down there.