Fishing kit

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have about an 12 ounce kit also like Bucksnorts. Lightweight telescoping pole, 4lb test and a handfull of lures. It sure is nice to cook up a couple of trout and crumbel them up in a mountain house. It sure is nice to add stuff to the mountain house to spice it up a little.

On trips where we can spare the extra weight, I pack a small roll of tinfoil, single serving butter packets (like you would get at restaurants), a small seasoning wheel, and dried minced onions. We stuff the cavities of the headed and gutted trout, then pan fry them in foil. Goes great with instant mashed potatoes, or we will split a mountain house as a side dish. Yum!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
As requested...

Honestly, I'm not sure, I can have Becca see how much it weighs all up, since she is home. I know its not the lightest but its certainly nearly indestructible in the little box which is a plus. :D

I didn't forget about this, I just got busy the last day or so. Here is what I discovered:

3fe5a00d.jpg

All up it looks like the Daiwa minispin weighs in at just under 24 ounces. That includes the case, rod, reel with line, and a small amount of tackle. Here is what the inside of the case looks like:

1c509b2f.jpg

mtmiller

WKR
Nothing like a little high mountain fishing.

I never had much luck with telescopics, and my set up is a little heavier I am sure.

Excuse the poses, tough to run a camera, remote and handle a fish.

16.jpg

61.jpg

54.jpg

21.jpg

Good times.

philw

Lil-Rokslider
Never weighed 'em but I use an Orvis Pack rod that'll accept a spinning reel as well as a fly reel, or an Eagle Claw pack rod if I'mjust using spinning tackle:

DSCN1500.jpg

DSCN1358.jpg

IMG_1243.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Has anybody used the "water bobber" to fish flies on with regular spinning gear.

I have used the clear bobber, rpm. They work very well. I usually take my four piece orvis and a small assortment of terrestrial flies and streamers (Beadhead buggers mostly).

This is just for backpacking or "see new country" trips though. I don't usually have time on dedicated scouting or hunting trips. I am always behind the glass at those times.

Wow that brown is a toad!

I think that's a cut, Big Sky. Those big ones are pretty brown. mtmiller, judging by the backgrounds, it looks like you have a lucky spot at that lake!

Last edited:

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
mtmiller, those are pigs, very nice.

I too have used a water bobber and it works fine with a spinning reel.

JNDEER I don't use power bait. Mostly because I am not packing it in. I bring 4 or 5 little spinners and thats it. A lot of the mountain lakes I fish don't get fished by more than a half dozen people a year, so it is pretty easy picking. But I am also not catching fish like mtmiller is either.

slim9300

WKR
Becca and I have been using Dawia mini spins. I really like the hard sided case and putting them together vs. the telescoping ones I used for several years before that. Don't break as easy and just attach the box to the outside of the pack. A place inside the box for 10 or so 0-2 size spinners. Goes together fast.

Here is the link to that:
http://www.cabelas.com/spinning-com...-F5D2-DF11-82EF-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA

This is what I use also. I really like how it cannot be broken when put away in my pack. Mine weighs 1 lb. 6 oz with everything including the case.

MT%252009.2011%2520011-1.JPG

IMGP0373.JPG

mtmiller

WKR
I think that's a cut, Big Sky. Those big ones are pretty brown. mtmiller, judging by the backgrounds, it looks like you have a lucky spot at that lake!

Correct, it was a cut. I guess I had a few good spots as I was continually crowded out by other fishermen.

85.jpg

86.jpg

87.jpg

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I love those pics, mtmiller!

Those otters can be aggressive when you get in on their spot. I had one harass me in a float tube once.

Were you fishing in the A/B Wilderness?

dotman

WKR
I'm gonna guess Bear Paw Mts? But that is probably wrong.

Last edited:
OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
Buck and Rosin - you guys ever try power bait?

I don't use it in the high country... I like to catch and release a few before I start keeping them to eat... With bait it's not really possible to do that as they swallow it and get gut hooked... I have never been to a high country lake that has fish where my small spinner assortment wouldn't knock em dead... Sometimes I even pinch down the barbs to make releasing easier...

mtmiller, I remember seeing those pics on 24hr... Awesome pics and great fish and scenery...

Use the same setup as Luke and Becca. Works great and double tough with the plastic case. Had it with me in Selway three years ago, those no name lakes had some nice fish. I think some of those fish had never seen a spinner.

2rocky

WKR
X2 on the Daiwa Setup Becca posted pictures of and Bucksnorts lure selection.

It has netted me some LUNKERS!
555412_4138114539863_1120561664_n.jpg

But Seriously, I like lots of action when I'm fishing.

30 minutes of fishing in July , got us 4 fish in one unnamed lake...
My best
261336_2194163862311_8110889_n.jpg

My Dad's best
264664_2194163542303_5096773_n.jpg

2rocky

WKR
When Hunting Season rolled around, I got to fish with blood on my hands.
317554_2442022178614_1485031649_n.jpg

The high mountain lakes are pretty clear..
313096_2442013738403_240342656_n.jpg

Manosteel

WKR
Good thread - taking my family on our annual big family gathering pickin berries and herbs from the mountains near where my wife grew up this weekend and the kids want me to take them fishing. I'm always looking ultra-light but I'm not much of a fisherman. Haven't done it since I was kid. Any recommendations on a bare minimum for lures tackle etc. I am picking up the daiwia mini spin but what lures etc? Lakes where we will be have Northen pike, pickerel and whitefish. There maybe some trout but not sure.

Any suggestions