Fishnet base layers. They work, and you want them.

This thread is extremely timely! I am looking at doing a potentially frigid November hunt next fall, and I need to upgrade my baselayers for cold weather.

@Formidilosus, do you wear a second baselayer over this on your legs, or just your cold weather pants? I'm thinking about 0-15 degrees with steady winds in the 20-30 mph range. Was looking at Brynje.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Form I see aclima is 120 gram. In cold active use would a merino base serve well as mid layer then outer pant, say a timberline? Or is the heat trapping superior to mid weight and you would omit it and the netting and timberline?

In active use I would cook alive with woolnet, another base layer, then outer. I just wear the woolnet and an outer pant. That pant is determined by temp.

@Formidilosus, do you wear a second baselayer over this on your legs, or just your cold weather pants? I'm thinking about 0-15 degrees with steady winds in the 20-30 mph range.

No, not if I’m moving at all. I heat up very quickly. If the temps were that low, or I needed to sit and stop, I would use a second full zip off layer (heavy fleece or puff pants) to put under the pants once I had stopped.

Ugh. Looking at the sizing charts, this may be really problematic for my skinny 6'5" build. Aclima and Brynje look like no go's so far. Why is it just assumed that everyone's waist is 4-6" wider than their inseam?

On forms recommendation, I’ve been researching woolnet base layers for about two months now. Unbeknownst to me at the time, netted base layers are apparently commonplace in biking (as in bicycles) circles. A lot of information to be read on biking forums for those interested in going down that rabbit-hole.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ugh. Looking at the sizing charts, this may be really problematic for my skinny 6'5" build. Aclima and Brynje look like no go's so far. Why is it just assumed that everyone's waist is 4-6" wider than their inseam?
Ya, it's funny looking at the Brynje sizing for unisex versus women's. Women's inseam 36-37" equates to a 38-40" waist, but unisex 36-37" inseam equals 43-45" waist. That's a 7-8" larger waist than inseam for unisex, and 2-3" larger waist than inseam for women. I guess they assume tall men have overly larger waists compared to tall women.

When my waist exceeds my 38" inseam.......it will definitely be time for a diet and working out every day.

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
I'm down to try it. I guess it's kinda the same concept as a waffle knit just scaled down to bare bones, right?
Yes. I don't find them as warm as a waffle fleece, but they are much less bulky. Also, the fishnets are really dry. They are so dry, I often forgo rain pants in SE Alaska wet. Fishnets with waffles would be uber-warm, and dry.

I hunted with the Eberlestock airbase this year and am now sold on them. Dry super quick and as breathable as it gets.

slowelk

WKR
@Trumpkin The Dwarf @5MilesBack

The sizing chart is very helpful. The sizes are not the same as your blue jean measurements. Their waist measurement is a true waist measurement and their hip (based on the photo) is below where I wear my jeans.

I am 6' and 200#, athletic build, wear a 33x34 pant (34 reg in Kuiu), and a Large-Tall or XL top. A set of the Aclima wool net hit my doorstep today, XL top and L bottom, and they fit like they should - pleasantly surprised since they came all the way from Helsinki.

Also, plug for Varuste (https://varuste.net/en/) I ordered on Friday 12/10 am, and they arrived via FedEx today (12/15). They also promptly answered questions and helped with sizing.

@Trumpkin The Dwarf @5MilesBack

The sizing chart is very helpful. The sizes are not the same as your blue jean measurements. Their waist measurement is a true waist measurement and their hip (based on the photo) is below where I wear my jeans.

I am 6' and 200#, athletic build, wear a 33x34 pant (34 reg in Kuiu), and a Large-Tall or XL top. A set of the Aclima wool net hit my doorstep today, XL top and L bottom, and they fit like they should - pleasantly surprised since they came all the way from Helsinki.

Also, plug for Varuste (https://varuste.net/en/) I ordered on Friday 12/10 am, and they arrived via FedEx today (12/15). They also promptly answered questions and helped with sizing.
Awesome to hear that! I'll have to put them back on the list.

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
It's not necessary to have full length inseams. I've had fishnets that were like 3/4 length capri pants (Brynje, as well as full length. I prefer the shorter inseam, no reason to extend in to my boot. I don't see an advantage of having full length fishnets.

My only real gripe with my Brynje fishnets is when I have a really heavy pack on, the netting can dig in to my shoulders a bit. My Brynjes are synthetic, and somewhat course material, maybe the wool would be enough softer than I wouldn't notice it. Still, it's not bad, and the fishnets are worth it for the dryness and warmth.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
My only real gripe with my Brynje fishnets is when I have a really heavy pack on, the netting can dig in to my shoulders a bit. My Brynjes are synthetic, and somewhat course material, maybe the wool would be enough softer than I wouldn't notice it. Still, it's not bad, and the fishnets are worth it for the dryness and warmth.

The Aclima are solid on the shoulders. Nets on wear areas would drive me nuts.

Dobermann

WKR
Public service annoucement: Varusteleka were sold out of Aclima shirts for the first couple of weeks of Dec 2021, when this thread began. They now have some back in stock, but their stock numbers have gone down fast in only a few days.

And for those who don't like long-sleeve base layers, Aclima do a short-sleeve T-shirt in Woolnet. However, Varusteleka do not stock it.

It is listed at the Aclima website ... but they charge double what Varusteleka do! (Anyone know why this is? I'd love to know. And are there any other retailers like Varusteleka who charge more reasonable amounts?)

Dobermann

WKR
Cotton jackets. 😗
Don't forget the Singi Stubben!

I bought one on Form's recommendation ... still can't work out if I love it or hate it ... it's the clunkiest sexy backpack, and has no hip belt or airflow in the back, but is still somehow comfortable.

The chair concept appears goofy, but I just sat on it all through a two-hour picnic today rather than a dodgy park bench, and felt like royalty.

I was tempted to start a thread just to make sense of it, it's so counter-intuitive.

Sometimes, Form, I think you just like messin' with us.

Until what you say works. Every time.

Buzzard.