Fitness trends video (Don't buy the BS!)

Wow,
Another internet video trashing what millions of people are doing with success. I'm getting ready to do a 5 day fast, and I don't give a damb what that guy thinks of it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
Coach Chris
Wow,
Another internet video trashing what millions of people are doing with success. I'm getting ready to do a 5 day fast, and I don't give a damb what that guy thinks of it.

I'm sure you know more than he does. He only has a PhD in Nutritional Sciences

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Wow,

I had a colonoscopy in July. That two day fast just about killed me. I can go a day without eating solid food, but two was too extreme. I lost 12 lbs over those two days that I couldn't afford to lose. In comparison I'll lose about 20lbs over an entire 30 day elk season. But my weight also fluctuates 5-7lbs between morning and evening as well.

Fatcamp

WKR
I did a 48 hour fast, did yoga and lifted both days. Lost 0 pounds. :)

Really interesting that I never really felt hungry or weak.

I'm sure you know more than he does. He only has a PhD in Nutritional Sciences
The internet is full of people with PHD's putting out conflicting information. It's up to us meatheads to cherry pick the "facts" that we align with.

Bulldawg

WKR
If you lost 12 pounds in two days just because you didn’t eat you could afford to lose it

I had a colonoscopy in July. That two day fast just about killed me. I can go a day without eating solid food, but two was too extreme. I lost 12 lbs over those two days that I couldn't afford to lose. In comparison I'll lose about 20lbs over an entire 30 day elk season. But my weight also fluctuates 5-7lbs between morning and evening as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Coach Chris
The internet is full of people with PHD's putting out conflicting information. It's up to us meatheads to cherry pick the "facts" that we align with.

“Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, no one is entitled to their own facts. Beliefs don’t change the facts. Facts should change beliefs”

Fatcamp

WKR
Reading the research of Jason Fung has given me a new opinion of fasting. In general I think the human body is meant to reset itself during lean times. Giving the digestive system including the pancreas and liver a break is something a whole lot of folks believe in, and a bit of research has been accepted on.

Straight weight loss? Calories in vs. calories out is always gonna win, but I think there are larger issues with the American diet that just calories. I listened to GSP on Rogans show talk about the changes he made due to some issues with collitus? he developed moving up a weight class in his last fight. Interesting stuff.

There was a member here that commented on fasting, but I can't remember the thread or his user name. Wish I knew who it was because it sounded like he was doing some cool stuff. Being able to function without eating has some value in my opinion.

A "misconception" is based on opinion. The point of the scientific process is that leaves opinion out of the process.

So humor me
Why were you so triggered by the video?
It was a video of nothing but negativity. I'm sick of the experts trashing everything that questions what they've been preaching for years. There are millions of people in this country who've changed their lives doing keto, fasting, vegan, you name it. The only reason for a video trashing everything without offering a solution is to grand stand and try to sound smart. If calories in vs calories out is what he's suggesting as the solution, then he's wrong. This has been suggested for years to Americans while they've gotten fatter. Being hungry all day might be an acceptable practice for fitness minded people who are driven by vanity, but it's not sustainable for normal people.

As far as "facts" go, whenever we look back 20 years or more we realize we were wrong about so many things. To think that the science has it all right at this present time is ignorance at best.

OP
Coach Chris
It was a video of nothing but negativity. I'm sick of the experts trashing everything that questions what they've been preaching for years. There are millions of people in this country who've changed their lives doing keto, fasting, vegan, you name it.
Do all videos that don’t conform to your cognitive bias and ad populum fallacy trigger you?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If calories in vs calories out is what he's suggesting as the solution, then he's wrong. This has been suggested for years to Americans while they've gotten fatter. Being hungry all day might be an acceptable practice for fitness minded people who are driven by vanity, but it's not sustainable for normal people.

Are you saying that burning more calories than putting in is making people fatter?o_O That's not even possible. What's making people fatter is their appetites and lack of burning calories. I don't understand your "being hungry all day" comment. I thought you were the one that advocated fasting? Fitness minded people aren't hungry all day. But I've seen more overweight people that can't seem to go 20 minutes without stuffing something down their throats, because "they're starving".

Are you saying that burning more calories than putting in is making people fatter?o_O That's not even possible. What's making people fatter is their appetites and lack of burning calories. I don't understand your "being hungry all day" comment. I thought you were the one that advocated fasting? Fitness minded people aren't hungry all day. But I've seen more overweight people that can't seem to go 20 minutes without stuffing something down their throats, because "they're starving".
I'm not talking about myself. My will power is rock solid. I realize that most people aren't like us. I'm not even advocating fasting for others. I'm just making a point that it doesn't help to trash what people are doing. If they're bettering themselves, then why trash what they're doing? I've read all the same literature as most when I first started lifting in the 90's. However I try to stay open minded and observe what's actually working for average people. I don't know anyone right now that's sustaining a calorie deficiency on a conventional balanced diet long term, except for people that have been into fitness for years. Those people aren't seeking advice on forums. When I push back against conventional advice on forums, it's because I believe there are people out there looking for another way. These people have failed with conventional dieting so many times that a new "fad" might be what they need. Even if it's not ideal, at least it gives them hope.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm not talking about myself. My will power is rock solid. I realize that most people aren't like us. I'm not even advocating fasting for others. I'm just making a point that it doesn't help to trash what people are doing. If they're bettering themselves, then why trash what they're doing? I've read all the same literature as most when I first started lifting in the 90's. However I try to stay open minded and observe what's actually working for average people. I don't know anyone right now that's sustaining a calorie deficiency on a conventional balanced diet long term, except for people that have been into fitness for years. Those people aren't seeking advice on forums. When I push back against conventional advice on forums, it's because I believe there are people out there looking for another way. These people have failed with conventional dieting so many times that a new "fad" might be what they need. Even if it's not ideal, at least it gives them hope.

Ya, but that's the whole problem in the first place. There is hope.......eating less and doing more IS the answer. But that's hard. That's just not the answer they want to hear...........because they don't want to eat less, and they certainly don't want to do more activity. So they go from one fad to the next trying to fix a problem that is easily fixable........if they wanted to. None of all those other options will work, if they still eat more than they expend........regardless what they're eating, what they believe, or how much hope they have in it.

Ya, but that's the whole problem in the first place. There is hope.......eating less and doing more IS the answer. But that's hard. That's just not the answer they want to hear...........because they don't want to eat less, and they certainly don't want to do more activity. So they go from one fad to the next trying to fix a problem that is easily fixable........if they wanted to. None of all those other options will work, if they still eat more than they expend........regardless what they're eating, what they believe, or how much hope they have in it.
Well then the next person you meet that tells you they lost 50 pounds on the keto diet, tell them they're doing it all wrong, they don't know anything about science, and go back to your echo chamber of peers and laugh about how stupid they are.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Well then the next person you meet that tells you they lost 50 pounds on the keto diet, tell them they're doing it all wrong, they don't know anything about science, and go back to your echo chamber of peers and laugh about how stupid they are.

They lost 50lbs because they changed their eating habits and ate less calories. If they still eat 5k calories a day of only Keto foods and burn 2k calories, they're not going to lose 50 lbs.

Poser

WKR

A point that was made in the video, which is a valid one, is that is great so long as you can stay Ketogenic for the rest of your life, otherwise, check back in with us 3 years down the road and let us know the status of that 50# because we all know damn well that the vast majority of those “I lost 50# in 90 days on the Keto diet” are going to be fat again so, congrats on losing 50#.... you’ll look and feel much better for the next few months until you get fat again and jump on another bandwagon touting sudden and dramatic results.