Fitness vs. Accuracy

Gerbdog

WKR
I'd say shape > good shot but really you can and should do both. Shape just to get you to the shot, shot so you dont screw up your single opportunity.

fatlander

WKR
Finding elk is more important than either. Most people would be better served to actually take the time to learn about elk, where they like to be, e-scouting, and actually scouting than trying to be Levi Morgan or Mat Fraser.

It amazes me the effort folks will put into fitness and gear but completely disregard the actual hunting preparation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
All contingent on where you hunt and your age. Have to know your limits both ways. Go too far, push yourself too much and your physical abilities will falter….IMO better to be a good shot taker at reasonable distances knowing your limit and have the ability to hike without being drained mentality and physically when the shot comes…..which will typically not be on day one…prepare and do your best🤙

ElkNut1

WKR
A nice balance of both is needed in most elk hunting situations. Elk hunting can be tough, On most OTC elk hunts I'd choose being in good shape is an absolute must. There are plenty of times that hunters run out of gas before they've had a single opportunity to even draw on an elk. Being able to stay in the game & give it your all till the bitter end requires fitness over shooting skills. As long as you're an average shot (Me) you can get it done year after year, I'm proof positive here! (grin) Come on Sept.

ElkNut

Jaquomo

WKR
Fitness is critical, but too many "super fit" guys approach elk hunting like it's a speed sport instead of slowing down and letting the hunt come to them.

"Accuracy" on foam is way different from being able to shoot well at the moment of truth.

I have a friend who is an Iron Man triathlete and one of the best trad shots (on foam) I've ever known. He hunts elk every year and hasn't killed one in more than 20 years. He misses, wounds, or simply can't execute the shot at the moment of truth.

Seems like the best approach is like most things in life - balance. Shooting reasonably well under pressure, being in the best shape you can reach (without going overboard), and the third thing - being in mental condition to make the shot, and also deal with the physical and emotional challenges of the hunt.

Moderns bows shoot so well you don't need to practice a lot, IMO. I'm 5 shooting sessions in so far this prep season and I'm putting 7 out of 8 arrows into a 4" diameter circle at 50 yards. At this point if I continue to shoot a couple times a week I can maintain some practical minimum accuracy standards.

But I probably ought to get on a stair stepper with a weighted pack more, run more, lift more, and most importantly eat cleaner and get better sleep.

And while a lot of guys are lifting and shooting their guts out I'll probably spend a bit more time looking over maps and talking to people who know my unit, or busting my ass at work so I can afford to take more time off. I'll always take an extra day of hunting or a hot tip over a better shooting bow or carefully sculpted calves.

LostArra

WKR
The phrase "run and gun" has probably put an unwarranted emphasis on extreme fitness. I've killed my share of elk in the mountains while as an old guy trying to stay "in shape" living in the flatlands and not once did I have to "run" to do it.

My struggle is estimating distance on elk when a developing situation doesn't allow a rangefinder. Shooting a slow bow with heavyish arrows doesn't help. I've made some beautiful 40 yard shots on 50 yard elk.
Fortunately most of my shots are 30 or less.

Scoot

WKR
How come you have to choose one over the other? Their both important! It's kinda like "do you want a gal who is attractive or intelligent?" Well... I want both! I stay in good enough shape and shoot enough to get it done. Both are important to me.

Overdrive

WKR
Fitness hands down. Lot's of guys run out of gas at altitude and miss out on good days and areas to hunt because they are wore out after a couple day's.

Shooting is second nature, been doing it all my life, the one thing I believe is the most important and some have it and others don't is that "killer instinct" knowing how to make it happen. I feel the guys that harvest consistently have this killer instinct.

It’s that time of year that everyone is getting ready for archery elk season.

Shooting their bows and working out.

My question is this:

Is being in shape more important than being a good shot? Or is being a good shot more important than being in shape?
I've asked myself this question a lot recently. I think that you can work at both but it requires a bigger commitment.

I'd say the fitness that comes from shooting a lot is the most important as long as you have the grit and determination to get to the hunting spot and get the elk out.

Being able to hold full draw for however long and remain steady for that thread the needle shot is the most important for me.

If I'm going to be hunting in weather that risks meat spoilage after a kill, I'd spend more time getting in great meat packing shape and plan on being more conservative with shots.

Hoyt Ag

FNG
I have no dog in either fight, I would probably lean more on fitness though. However, I tell all my hunters I take to practice at home by doing 20 or so pushups, then shoot with a hold of 30sec-1 min. If not that routine, then something to mimic hiking up a hill/mtn onto a bull and then having the exertion and adrenaline pumping while shooting.

tracker12

WKR
If you can’t get to the elk you can’t kill the elk. If you get there and can’t shoot you can’t kill the elk. No either or.

woods89

WKR
Fitness is critical, but too many "super fit" guys approach elk hunting like it's a speed sport instead of slowing down and letting the hunt come to them.

"Accuracy" on foam is way different from being able to shoot well at the moment of truth.

I have a friend who is an Iron Man triathlete and one of the best trad shots (on foam) I've ever known. He hunts elk every year and hasn't killed one in more than 20 years. He misses, wounds, or simply can't execute the shot at the moment of truth.

Seems like the best approach is like most things in life - balance. Shooting reasonably well under pressure, being in the best shape you can reach (without going overboard), and the third thing - being in mental condition to make the shot, and also deal with the physical and emotional challenges of the hunt.
I'd agree with a lot of this.

We need a good term for the ability some people have, that if an animal makes it into range, they have a high probability of getting an effective arrow or bullet into it. And then some people fumble around and blow opportunity after opportunity. It doesn't necessarily coincide with top level shooting or fitness, but it seems like has more to do with a high level of confidence, patience, and situational awareness. Ultra realistic practice helps, but I think at some point it just has to take experience. However, like the above example, some people gain experience and don't really progress in that skill. It's a bit of a mystery.

Elkhntr08

WKR
I think when I’m in better shape, I shoot better. If you don’t have a solid platform, legs and core, how can you be steady?

I think what @woods89 is describing is where killers are made. Some people just have that ability to make an opportunity out of nothing, and certainly don't squander the opportunities they earn. That's a pretty special thing and very tough to articulate and teach (and learn from).

FlyGuy

WKR
I’m not a great shot, so I work my ass off in the gym.

“What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit.“

Chief Seattle

Steven.Elmore

Lil-Rokslider
Good fitness. Fitness is a lasting effect, good accuracy goes away the nanosecond someone punches the trigger and wonders why they hit a foot to the right.

Fitness is extremely important to me and something I train consistency every week of the year. There are hundreds of reasons more important than mountain hunting to maintain your physical fitness.

That said, I'm voting accuracy for hunting. The most effective killers I know have one thing in common, and it's not physical fitness. It making calm accurate shots under pressure when the time comes to shoot.