Fitness vs. Accuracy

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm 57 and the only cardio I do all year is archery elk hunting, and I've never had any issues with that. The only things that slow me down are my knees and my back. Most the time I just keep pushing through their screaming. They have 11 months to recover, they'll get over it. Beyond that, I'm a pretty decent shooter. So for me, it's better to be a good shooter than to spend all year in some cardio training regimen.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
In the past 20 years, there has only been 2 years [ 2018/2009]
I didnt punch my elk tag [some years I killed 2 elk].

I can definitely attribute the success to accuracy more than fitness.

Last edited:
Cant hike 8-12 miles in to where the elk live if you aint in shape. But Mtn Ops and a flat bill makes it much easier to do it.
If you have to go that far to find elk you’re spending too much time getting in shape . You’d be better served to learn your area better. I guarantee there are elk within 2 miles of the road and most likely less.

rayporter

WKR
if you cant hit it, ya might as well stay on the couch.

by my count i have taken 8 different folks to the mountains and into game. all but one has got a shot at elk and only one of them ever killed an elk.

Swan

FNG
I think accuracy with a bow may be the easiest skill to acquire. Fitness is maybe only slightly more difficult. Hunting - finding elk and getting close enough to kill them - is most important. I wonder how many of you saying accuracy is more important are saying so because you’ve figured out how to find elk, efficiently? If you don’t know how to find elk, it takes a lot of fitness to run all over the mountains.

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot my bow year round and have an archery range in my basement and have hunting and target bows. Rotator cuff surgery has slowed me down a little and I hunt with a Bowtech Revolt X set at 56 pounds now. I enjoy long range shooting, not that I plan on shooting 80 yards at an elk but shooting a group at 80 yards takes good form and a perfect release. Having good muscle memory is important when it comes time to make the shot and your adrenaline is pumping and that only comes from practicing. I always wish I was in better shape and work hard at it, but taking lots of ibuprofen helps while in elk camp.

Btaylor

WKR
Accuracy is most important for this season. Fitness is most important for upcoming seasons. Every year this remains accurate for me.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I wonder how many of you saying accuracy is more important are saying so because you’ve figured out how to find elk, efficiently?
I've never had any trouble "finding" elk during archery season......I mean my goodness the bulls tell you where they are. But I average about 8-10 miles a day for normal hunting days, which I don't consider to be anywhere near extreme. That's for areas I know well. For new areas I'll do a lot of all day prospecting hikes and cover a lot more ground.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
How many elk hunters come on line after the season & say man I wish I was a better shot? How many come on here & say man I needed to be in better shape?

ElkNut
I've heard both fairly frequently. But with accuracy the upper limit is pretty finite......you either hit where you're aiming or you don't. Fitness has a much higher limit of potential. By the end of the season I'm much better than the first day, while my accuracy is pretty much the same.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
How many elk hunters come on line after the season & say man I wish I was a better shot? How many come on here & say man I needed to be in better shape?

ElkNut

Maybe you should start a thread asking that question....

KHNC

WKR
If you have to go that far to find elk you’re spending too much time getting in shape . You’d be better served to learn your area better. I guarantee there are elk within 2 miles of the road and most likely less.
NO WAY! Keep Hammering told me 10 miles minimum! :)

KHNC

WKR
I've never had any trouble "finding" elk during archery season......I mean my goodness the bulls tell you where they are. But I average about 8-10 miles a day for normal hunting days, which I don't consider to be anywhere near extreme. That's for areas I know well. For new areas I'll do a lot of all day prospecting hikes and cover a lot more ground.
In fairness to others on the mileage, I hear you have at least a 10 yard stride. Most of us dont. :)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
In fairness to others on the mileage, I hear you have at least a 10 yard stride. Most of us dont. :)
Ya, but I'm also almost a senior citizen.....so it all balances out. ;) And those long steps take more energy compared to a couple small steps. Those guys that are 5'9" and 150lbs should be able to go nonstop all day long.

KHNC

WKR
Ya, but I'm also almost a senior citizen.....so it all balances out. ;) And those long steps take more energy compared to a couple small steps. Those guys that are 5'9" and 150lbs should be able to go nonstop all day long.
I used to be that. Now im 5'9" and 190. A bit slower lol

If you hunt the same areas year after year and kill elk, you know what’s needed to find and kill an elk. Same goes If you’re hiking to a tree stand, waterhole etc and just sitting, the average fat ass American can do that.

If you’ve never been to an area, it can take work to find elk. That work means fitness or mental toughness how ever you want to call it it. “Some call ocean some call it the sea” either way, at that point finding them is much more important than shooting and that can take a toll.

Colterw

FNG
Last season I found the elk, but I couldn't connect with the shot. I'm spending a lot more time practicing with my bow.

If you hunt the same areas year after year and kill elk, you know what’s needed to find and kill an elk. Same goes If you’re hiking to a tree stand, waterhole etc and just sitting, the average fat ass American can do that.

If you’ve never been to an area, it can take work to find elk. That work means fitness or mental toughness how ever you want to call it it. “Some call ocean some call it the sea” either way, at that point finding them is much more important than shooting and that can take a toll.
When I’m going to a new area I try to see it as if it was a different area that I know really well. If the main ridge runs north/south I’ll think of a similar area that I’m familiar with and use it as a template to try to make an educated guess at where the elk might be. Elk habits can vary from one place to another but there are usually similarities.