Fittest Bowhunter in the West

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone know anything about these competitions?

They are having one in Boise in June and it looks kind of interesting.

Not a lot on the website about the competition other than you have to wear a pack with 20lbs and there are physical challenges between 40 separate 3d targets.

Any additional information would be appreciated.

Head over to the the Train to Hunt website and he has a lot of information about it. They just lowered the cost of entry as well. I have been trying to get a few things moved around with my schedule so I can make it for the weekend. The full draw film tour will be in town the same weekend. This year will be a little different then last year, but there are some you tube videos of last year floating around. It looks like it is going to be a lot of fun, and a good way to tell where you are at with training and shooting a few weeks before the season opens.

Scottiem

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy and I just signed up for it. Sounds like fun. Run around a mountain shooting 3D targets....why not. Now I just better hope I can get the time off work.

RyanC

WKR
Hey guys great to hear the interest in competing in the Train to Hunt Challenge. My brother is the owner and event coordinator of the Train to Hunt Challenge so I will be able to answer questions for you as him and I have been working together to organize and design this event. What I can tell you is that it is a 2 day 3-D archery shoot. The first day will be the Fitness shoot comprising of between 5 and 6 targets spread over about 1 mile of terrain. Competitors will wear a 20lb pack and must carry their bow and all necessary arrows during the course in a quiver. There will be physical challenges at every target to complete as well as 5 shooting lanes at each target with known distances. You will be scored on 2 things, time and accuracy. For each target you miss you will penalized with an additional physical task before moving to the next target. For every target you hit in the 10 ring you get time off of your overall time and for every target you hit the 8 ring there is no penalty or reward. Your overall time after penalties and rewards will determine your placement for day 1. The 2nd day will be a 40 target standard 3-D shoot using the exact same set up you used on day 1. The person who finishes both days with the least amount of points (points are determined as what place you come in each day) is the winner of the Train to Hunt Challenge.

I hope I was able to answer a few questions I will be happy to answer any other questions you may have. For more date and location information you can visit the website at www.traintohunt.com and check out the information. BTW if you're interested in fitness you can get a 30 day free trial right now to see what kind of workouts we are putting together for hunters. This should be an awesome event, it's just the beginning of what I think can be a great competition for bowhunters, a kind of adventure race for hunters! The sky is the limit with this event in the future and we hope all bowhunters will come out and test themselves.

Ryan

TJ

WKR
Hey guys great to hear the interest in competing in the Train to Hunt Challenge. My brother is the owner and event coordinator of the Train to Hunt Challenge so I will be able to answer questions for you as him and I have been working together to organize and design this event. What I can tell you is that it is a 2 day 3-D archery shoot. The first day will be the Fitness shoot comprising of between 5 and 6 targets spread over about 1 mile of terrain. Competitors will wear a 20lb pack and must carry their bow and all necessary arrows during the course in a quiver. There will be physical challenges at every target to complete as well as 5 shooting lanes at each target with known distances. You will be scored on 2 things, time and accuracy. For each target you miss you will penalized with an additional physical task before moving to the next target. For every target you hit in the 10 ring you get time off of your overall time and for every target you hit the 8 ring there is no penalty or reward. Your overall time after penalties and rewards will determine your placement for day 1. The 2nd day will be a 40 target standard 3-D shoot using the exact same set up you used on day 1. The person who finishes both days with the least amount of points (points are determined as what place you come in each day) is the winner of the Train to Hunt Challenge.

I hope I was able to answer a few questions I will be happy to answer any other questions you may have. For more date and location information you can visit the website at www.traintohunt.com and check out the information. BTW if you're interested in fitness you can get a 30 day free trial right now to see what kind of workouts we are putting together for hunters. This should be an awesome event, it's just the beginning of what I think can be a great competition for bowhunters, a kind of adventure race for hunters! The sky is the limit with this event in the future and we hope all bowhunters will come out and test themselves.

Ryan

Ryan,
I've been looking at the website and don't see the 30 day free trial. Do you have a link?

Also, any idea on how far the 3D targets will be set up yardage wise?

This sounds like it may be a good challenge to work towards.

RyanC

WKR
Hey TJ sorry about not being able to find the 30 day free trial. I will talk with my brother to get it on the "Home" page but right now if you click on the "Workouts" tab and then click on any of the workouts listed in the blog it will take you to a page that asks if you want to sign up or do a 30 day free trial. Click on the 30 day free trial link and it will take you to a page to sign up. Below is a link to todays work out with the link toward the bottom of the page. Let me know if you have any other problems.

http://traintohunt.com/2013/04/weighted-run-and-jump/

RyanC

WKR
Hardstalk,

Yeah velvetfvr is correct. The entire course will be approximately 1 mile long. The ranges will vary from 20-25 to ~50 yards during the fitness course. We want to make it realistic, no ultra long shots. There may be 1 or 2 longer shots on the standard 40 target course, but nothing too crazy! Thanks for the questions, hope to see you all at one of the shoots!

Ryan

Hardstalk

WKR
Ryan,

Not trying to be argumentative by any means but are you basing this really cool title of "fittest bowhunter of the west" on a 1 mile race?

One mile with 6 workouts thrown in with a 20 pound pack by number six it is going to be really hard to control your breathing to shoot a ten ring. That is if you have been pushing your self at all.

RyanC

WKR
Hardstalk,

A one mile course through terrain with multiple exercises thrown in at each target to keep your heartrate as high as possible will test many bowhunters like never before. If you are someone who regularly shoots with your heartrate at or above your 70-80% max, you will do very well in this event. I'm not saying there aren't better ideas out there to test bowhunters and find the fittest but this is where we decided to start and what is so exciting is that the sky is the limit! There are so many ideas out there but we have to start somewhere.
I can tell you this, last year we did a course at the Bogus Challenge in Boise, ID. It was probably only 1/2 a mile or less, no exercises at the targets, and those who participated loved it! We had all fitness levels shoot it and it tested everyone. We learned a lot from that shoot, have expanded it to more locations, gotten sponsors on board, and know that this year will be even better. Come out test yourself at shooting your bow with your heart beating through your chest and I guarantee you will come out the other end better for it. We as bowhunters do not shoot under those type of conditions enough and when it comes time for hunting season too many of us are wishing we would have trained harder in the off season. This is just something that will hopefully get more bowhunters excited about training in a different way and set some goals for themselves before hunting season.

Thanks for the questions and feedback, it will only make us all better in the end!!

Cheers,

Ryan

Hardstalk

WKR
Very cool, thanks for the replies. Does sound fun. Ill have to check out the site.

TJ

WKR
Hey TJ sorry about not being able to find the 30 day free trial. I will talk with my brother to get it on the "Home" page but right now if you click on the "Workouts" tab and then click on any of the workouts listed in the blog it will take you to a page that asks if you want to sign up or do a 30 day free trial. Click on the 30 day free trial link and it will take you to a page to sign up. Below is a link to todays work out with the link toward the bottom of the page. Let me know if you have any other problems.

http://traintohunt.com/2013/04/weighted-run-and-jump/

Thanks Ryan~

Hardstalk,

A one mile course through terrain with multiple exercises thrown in at each target to keep your heartrate as high as possible will test many bowhunters like never before. If you are someone who regularly shoots with your heartrate at or above your 70-80% max, you will do very well in this event. I'm not saying there aren't better ideas out there to test bowhunters and find the fittest but this is where we decided to start and what is so exciting is that the sky is the limit! There are so many ideas out there but we have to start somewhere.
I can tell you this, last year we did a course at the Bogus Challenge in Boise, ID. It was probably only 1/2 a mile or less, no exercises at the targets, and those who participated loved it! We had all fitness levels shoot it and it tested everyone. We learned a lot from that shoot, have expanded it to more locations, gotten sponsors on board, and know that this year will be even better. Come out test yourself at shooting your bow with your heart beating through your chest and I guarantee you will come out the other end better for it. We as bowhunters do not shoot under those type of conditions enough and when it comes time for hunting season too many of us are wishing we would have trained harder in the off season. This is just something that will hopefully get more bowhunters excited about training in a different way and set some goals for themselves before hunting season.

Thanks for the questions and feedback, it will only make us all better in the end!!

Cheers,

Ryan

What kind of extra exercises are the planning, just curious!!

RyanC

WKR
TJ,

If you check out the site you will have a great idea of the kind of exercises to expect at each target. But to givean idea, you may see Burpees, or Ground to Overhead with your 20 lb pack, Lunges, Squats, Push Ups, Sand Bag Get-Ups (Backpack instead of sandbag), etc. There are many to choose from but we want to make sure everyone can do them, each exercise can be easily judged for Full Range of Motion, and each one adds a little extra challenge to the course. Hope I anwered your question.

Ryan

How does this compare to the 46 rail mountain mile that was put on last year at bowcast? Sounds similar in distance, number of targets, time penalty, and bonus exercises.