Fix your own vehicle

So I work at a chrysler dealership and a customer brought a vehicle in with an intermittent no start. Checked vehicle out found out needs a major electrical part. Now I will admit I am not very strong in electrical diagnostics but had someone confirm my diagnosis who is. Customer comes in and is talking with another tech so I asked him a few questions about the vehicle and he scoffed at my diagnosis and said nope you won't get my approval for that keep looking. He then informed me that he used to be a tech at this same dealership and he knows that my diagnosis cannot be the problem. At what point do I just tell him to take his vehicle and fix it himself.......

NV HUNTER

WKR
Let the service advisor be the bad guy. Or get tech support involved so that you have a paper trail from the factory as well.

CorbLand

WKR
Had a guy yell at me on the phone last night because he cant understand how I cant "just order him large rifle primers and he will come pick them up next week when we get them." I tried explaining to him three times that if we allowed people to place orders like that we would be backordered for over a year and that we dont just have millions of primers sitting in the back.

Apparently not selling him something we dont have and dont know when we will get is "just a shitty way to do business." and I need to "put myself in his shoes because he cant find them."

Some people just don't understand man.

He then informed me that he used to be a tech at this same dealership and he knows that my diagnosis cannot be the problem. At what point do I just tell him to take his vehicle and fix it himself.......
Why not ask him what his diagnosis is, and why yours is incorrect? If he knows what it is, or even if he thinks he knows, get approval to swap the part and charge him R&R with no guarantee.

Maybe he's right? and maybe he's wrong. Point is, it may be worth another look.

I'm not trying to put down you or your profession. I'm not a professional mechanic. But I am absolutely sure that I'm a lot better than lot of them out there. 30 years of fixing everything under the sun from cars and trucks to all sorts of electronics to some of the most complex electronic warfare systems on the planet got me there. Don't write him off just because he's the customer. You might learn something.

And yes, you might be right and he might be wrong...

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'd toss him the keys and tell him to get the **** out of my sight.

...I'm have tenure at my job though so I would just have a short meeting and not really get into trouble.

OP
skyler_2010
I am very set in my diagnosis and did oblige him and took another look. He felt there was mouse intrusion and so I took my lunch and took a breath and re looked to make sure I didn't over look anything and came back to my original conclusion

If you got it to not start, and were able to prove why........what else can you do.

The worst ones are usually the ones that USED to be mechanics/techs......they couldnt make a living at it because they were not good enough at it....and then they tell you how to fix their junk.

Make a bet with him on the diagnosis. If he's right you have to pay him $100. If your right, he has to give you the car. This will be a good test of just how cocky the guy is.