Fixed 6 power scope

Teaman1

WKR
Anybody use a fixed 6 power scope? How do you like it? I’m looking for ideas to put on a 35 whelen mainly for elk hunting. I have a 2.5-8 on a 325 wsm and considering buying another for the 35.
Just trying to weigh the pros and cons, seems like most people I talk to can’t stand the thought of less than 12 power

Guy

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a fixed 6x on three different rifles, and my adult son has a 6x on his general purpose hunting rifle.

We've taken game up close and out to 400+ yards with them. I like them, but they're probably not for everyone.

Three Leupold scopes, two with the 36mm objective, one with the 42mm objective. Dang that one is really bright!

And one SWFA 6x on a precision 308 - it's working out real well.

I prefer the little 2.5x or 3x Leupolds for "dark timber" type hunting, but the 6x will work. It's pretty much what a fellow gets used to.

And yes, we have some rifles with nice variable scopes on them too - but mostly we seem to use the fixed power scopes for our hunting.

Regards, Guy

VernAK

WKR
I own a half dozen Leupold and SWFA mounted on several rifles. As an all around hunting scope for big game and predators, I prefer em. My rifle that's set up for bears, wears a 3X Leupold. The 4x is also a great compromise.
My primary consideration when mounting a scope is positioning the scope and fitting the rifle so that I achieve a full view when mounting the rifle to my shoulder. No moving the head to get a full view.
The longer tube scopes allow positioning in the rings to achieve the best eye relief.