Fixed blade tuning problems.

Shupe88

WKR
I’m shooting Easton axis .260s. Arrow length is 27.5 weight is around 495 with 100grain head. Shooting a mathews wake at 28in, 70lb. I have it shooting bullet holes on paper with field point. Fixed blades are hitting way to the right of my field points at 30 yards. Tried muzzy trocar and magnus hornets. Very consistent group. Is my arrow spine correct? Maybe bow out of tune?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Your bow needs to be tuned.
For a Right handed shooter...

Broad head right, is equal to a left paper tear.

Corrections...

Take a turn off the limb bolts
Use a stiffer arrow
Decreased load on I've cable guard
Move the rest towards the riser
Shim to the left
Twist the left yoke and untwist the right yoke

Last edited:

OR Archer

WKR
Definitely out of tune. I would bet you’re rest is outside of center causing your right impact with broadheads. I would recheck your center shot and use the top hats to correct for paper tears. And make sure you’re tuning from more than one distance also. Second make sure you’re broadheads are all spinning true. No reason that arrow won’t tune and shoot broadheads just fine out of that bow.

At what distance were you paper tuning? You could be getting "false" bullet holes if you're far enough away that the fletching has time to take over and steer the arrow straight. I start my paper tuning at 6' and repeat at 12'.

What MM said above may be your problem. Have you bare shaft tuned? If not, do that and start close and work your way back to 30 or 40 if you can, but your form is critical tuning this way.

Just my experience, but if I can bare shaft tune at 20 and 30, I can screw on most any fixed blade that spins true and hit very close if not right on with my field points. When I have my setup BS tuned to 40, I have yet to have a BH not hit with FPs.

And with Axis 260s at your numbers, you are NOT underspined. Likely overspined, but many here prefer to shoot that way.

Move your rest and see if it changes. If it does not, move the top hats. I guess I would personally rather shoot my exact hunting set up and tune that in then mess around with all the bare shaft stuff.

S.Clancy

WKR
Based on your #'s you're prob way overspined. Paper and bare shaft tuning kind of assume at least close to a proper spine, otherwise you will get conflicting tuning results.
I bare shaft tune exclusively anymore. Way more useful, in my opinion

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
In my opinion being over spined Is tough to do . I recently decided to drop one of my bows from 75 lbs to 65 lbs. I'm still shooting goldtip pierce 250 with 100 grain ethics and 125 grain head. Cut to 27 inches with 29.5 inch draw. I'd put money on it being a tuning issue. I don't shoot paper I go right to bare shaft tuning after my bow is in spec .

I'm reading into this a lot for no more info than is available, but this is what I'm seeing. A 350+ ibo bow along with 50 grain inserts, so 150 on the front of the arrow I don't think 260 is out of line. Stiff, but it's not going to create problems.

406unltd

WKR
Seems out of tune. But also, I know being on the stiff side is good for bh flight but I think you are severely overspined. Shortish draw, short arrows, not a ton of point weight ect. I’m a 31” draw with a fast bow, and hang 200 on the end, with a 250 spine, 29.5” of carbon, just for a reference. I’ve also tuned a setup on 250s that had 230 up front so I’m pretty sure your spine isn’t helping at all.

Reactions: Zac
OP
Shupe88

Shupe88

WKR
At what distance were you paper tuning? You could be getting "false" bullet holes if you're far enough away that the fletching has time to take over and steer the arrow straight. I start my paper tuning at 6' and repeat at 12'.

6’

OP
Shupe88

Shupe88

WKR
Definitely out of tune. I would bet you’re rest is outside of center causing your right impact with broadheads. I would recheck your center shot and use the top hats to correct for paper tears. And make sure you’re tuning from more than one distance also. Second make sure you’re broadheads are all spinning true. No reason that arrow won’t tune and shoot broadheads just fine out of that bow.

Thanks for the advise. I’m gonna retune tonight

OP
Shupe88

Shupe88

WKR
Seems out of tune. But also, I know being on the stiff side is good for bh flight but I think you are severely overspined. Shortish draw, short arrows, not a ton of point weight ect. I’m a 31” draw with a fast bow, and hang 200 on the end, with a 250 spine, 29.5” of carbon, just for a reference. I’ve also tuned a setup on 250s that had 230 up front so I’m pretty sure your spine isn’t helping at all.

Wouldn’t my impact be to the left if I was over spined? That’s if my bow was tuned correctly?

406unltd

WKR
The tune is more than likely having an effect towards that. There’s no question it’s overspined. What’s the centershot set at on your rest currently?

edit- do you have extra point weight up front you didn’t list?

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Wouldn’t my impact be to the left if I was over spined? That’s if my bow was tuned correctly?
If it was tuned correctly, there shouldn't be an impact anywhere except right with your FP's.......especially at 30 yards. If it's "way" off at 30.......is it even on the target at 60? It's definitely out of tune regardless which direction it's off. Make the bow do what you want it to do. Although, coming from 75lbs, 33" draw, 30" arrows, and 225gr up front on .250's that BH tune perfectly out to 60.......I'm in the "you're overspined" crowd as well. But you still should be able to BH tune it.

Scorpion

WKR
Your bow is out of tune, for sure. Check your rest. Check cam timing.

Unless you’re running 200+ in total point weight, you’re also overspined. I ran 300 spine Axis with my Mathews that was 28” @ 70 lbs, 150 total point weight. The Wake may have a more aggressive cam than my Creed did, so the stiff spine is not like that big of a deal compared to the tune.

OR Archer

WKR
Don’t worry about spine. That arrow will tune just fine and shoot broadheads fine. I personally run 280s at 27” with only 120gr up front. They bareshaft and broadhead tune exceptionally well.

OP
Shupe88

Shupe88

WKR
I had a chance to shoot for a few minutes. I adjusted my rest to the left and got my broadheads to hit center but my field points went same distance left of center. Guess I need to put it in the press!